More than anything, kids want Apple's iPad, iPod touch & iPhone for Christmas

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The iPad is the most-wanted gift among U.S. kids ages 6 through 12, a new survey has found, while the iPod touch ranks second and the iPhone comes in third.

Apple's iOS devices dominated the top three spots in the survey of young by Nielsen, which prompted the market research firm to declare the 2011 holiday season "iHoliday." A total of 44 percent of kids ages 6 through 12 said they have interest in getting an iPad in the next six months, while 30 percent want an iPod touch, and 27 percent seek an iPhone.

Apple's popularity among children is likely driven by gaming, as the most popular applications on iOS have consistently been games since the App Store first debuted. The iOS lineup beat out a number of popular gaming machines in the survey, including the Nintendo 3DS, Kinect for Xbox 360, and the Sony PlayStation 3.

Even among teens, the iPad still reigned supreme ahead of the 2011 holiday season. Among children ages 13 and up, 24 percent of those polled said they are interested in buying an iPad in the next six months, beating out a tie at No. 2 between a computer and an e-reader.

Apple's iPhone also made the list with teens in seventh place, taking 15 percent of the vote, and edging out non-iPhone smartphones at 14 percent. The iPod touch game in twelfth with 8 percent, tied with Microsoft's Xbox 360.

Nielsen's survey was conducted in October among a general population sample of 3,000 U.S. children.

For years now, Apple has been promoting its iOS devices as game playing devices. In particular, the iPod touch became marketed largely as a game console beginning in 2009, when Apple declared it the "funnest iPod ever." Since then, advertisements for the device have focused greatly on the wide selection of game titles available on the App Store, and Apple has also offered social networking support with the release of Game Center last year as part of iOS 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    I'm just waiting for the Kindle Fire returns when the little kiddies find out that they can't download the iOS app that the Jones kid has.
  • Reply 2 of 93
    Due to the many educational games available for iPad, this an amazing device to help kids learn. My 5 and 4 year old will have their own iPad to share this Christmas morning.
  • Reply 3 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiball7 View Post

Due to the many educational games available for iPad, this an amazing device to help kids learn. My 5 and 4 year old will have their own iPad to share this Christmas morning.

Before they have the hardware, you can gift them some apps
  • Reply 4 of 93

• Reply 5 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm just waiting for the Kindle Fire returns when the little kiddies find out that they can't download the iOS app that the Jones kid has.

Their parents should be slapped for not doing the research. The Fire has a place and it fills it well, but that place is not up there with iPad.
  • Reply 6 of 93
    Kids want an iPad but parents will buy them a Kindle Fire after explaining to them why the Fire is a much better buy. Unfortunately for Apple, kids on their own have little spending power. It wouldn't seem right if their parents bought them a Kindle Fire and the kids demanded they exchange it for an iPad. If the economy was better, Apple would be making a holiday killing. Now, it's not all that certain.
  • Reply 7 of 93
    The real question will come in January, what did the kids actually get? My kids would all love their own iPad, guess what they are not getting it, $499 is steep for a device that is easily dropped and broken by a child.
  • Reply 8 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Kids want an iPad but parents will buy them a Kindle Fire after explaining to them why the Fire is a much better buy. Unfortunately for Apple, kids on their own have little spending power. It wouldn't seem right if their parents bought them a Kindle Fire and the kids demanded they exchange it for an iPad. If the economy was better, Apple would be making a holiday killing. Now, it's not all that certain.

We have a "community" iPad at my house, the kids share. My daughter told me she wants a kindle for Christmas because she primarily only reads on the iPad and hates sharing, I showed her the Fire and explained its simplicity and she likes it. As I stated before, yes an iPad all around is every kids dream, I want a 2012 Dodge Challenger for Christmas, doesn't mean I am getting it or buying it. The iPad is not cheap, especially in this economy.
  • Reply 9 of 93

For all you people who are out Christmas shopping or watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade...

Here's something to be on the lookout for:

• Reply 10 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

The real question will come in January, what did the kids actually get? My kids would all love their own iPad, guess what they are not getting it, $499 is steep for a device that is easily dropped and broken by a child.

Any parent who allows a child to treat an iPad like it's one of their stuffed toys deserves to be slapped.
  • Reply 11 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

until of course you get the letter from school that says that starting Jan 1, all students must have their own personal iPad for class as the school is nixing traditional textbooks etc
  • Reply 12 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiball7 View Post

Have a look at this
  • Reply 13 of 93
    I don't think my wife and I will even come close to spending $499 on each other.. much less on our little kiddo (2 yrs).
  • Reply 14 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

The economy is actually not as bad as one is led to believe on the news... or so it would seem. US retail spending has been on the rise since 2009 and is well beyond the highs reached in 2008 before the spending dip occurred.
  • Reply 15 of 93
    Wow, feel sorry for those poor kids that want a non iPad Tablet. Xoom? Playbook? Maybe they mean Kindle fire, which would be ok...
  • Reply 16 of 93
    The whole world will be lining up to buy iPad 2 this Christmas. Who doesn't dream of unwrapping something that is truly and completely magical on Christmas day? I think that is unquestionable, Jesus would have given the gift of iPad to his disciples were he and they around today.
  • Reply 17 of 93
    Quote:

yep. Lots of parents will be duped by the Kindle Fire marketing BS and think they are getting a $200 iPad, only to find out they have a cheapo clone that does not work well, lacks apps, is a fork of Android so it does not run Android apps, is locked to Amazons services, has a web browser which sends everything you do back to Amazon for data mining, etc...

Not to mention it is only a couple inches bigger than a smart phone.
  • Reply 18 of 93
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Have a look at this

In the not so distant future people will ask... "What's a book?!"
  • Reply 19 of 93
    Do kids really get $500 gifts for Christmas? In this economy?

Of course, this is their wishlist. But man, I remember feeling guilty when my parents would drop $100 for a Super Nintendo on me and my brother. Maybe I'm just a cheapskate
  • Reply 20 of 93
    Quote:

Any parent who allows a child to treat an iPad like it's one of their stuffed toys deserves to be slapped.

This list is for 6-12 year olds, I do not know many, if any 6-12 year olds that have a concept of cost and value.