Apple releases Apple TV Software Update 4.4.3

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released a software update identified as version 4.4.3 for its Apple TV set-top box, though what changes it includes are unknown.

The new Apple TV update is labeled build 9A4051, and can now be downloaded directly from the device. The version number would suggest that it is a minor update, fixing issues in the Apple TV version 4.4 software update that accompanied the launch of iOS 5 in October.

Version 4.4.3 marks the third update to have arrived since the release of 4.4, a more significant update that added AirPlay Mirroring support, Wall Street Journal Live, National Hockey League Content, Photo Stream, and iTunes Trailers. Details for Apple TV Software Update 4.4.3 have not yet been revealed by Apple.

The last Apple TV update arrived in late October with Software Update 4.4.2. It addressed an issue that required a small number of Apple TV units to be connected to iTunes in order to complete an update.

Apple also quietly added support for iTunes Match to the Apple TV early this month, without the need for a software update on the device. The $24.99-per-year iTunes Match service, which lets users re-download their entire music library on a range of devices, launched this week with the release of iTunes 10.5.1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    I hope it fixes a weird bug I've had since I did the last update, whereby it would tell me all my libraries on my Mac contained no content. The fix was to close and re-open iTunes on the Mac, but since the Mac is all the way upstairs, and the Apple TV was in the living room, it was a pain to do.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Since late october every purchased TV show I get gives me a "content unauthorized to play on this Apple TV" error. I have to de-authorize my Mac from the iTunes Store (which erases all purchased content on my Apple TV) and then re-authorize it (which re-copies purchases to my Apple TV) every time I get a new episode of anything. Makes me really want to stop paying for content! Anyone else got this problem? Found any solutions?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcgarza View Post

Since late october every purchased TV show I get gives me a "content unauthorized to play on this Apple TV" error. I have to de-authorize my Mac from the iTunes Store (which erases all purchased content on my Apple TV) and then re-authorize it (which re-copies purchases to my Apple TV) every time I get a new episode of anything. Makes me really want to stop paying for content! Anyone else got this problem? Found any solutions?

DRM just the studios way of letting you know that THEY THINK YOU'RE A THIEF!

Sad thing is had you actually been a THIEF you wouldn't have this silly hiccups.

DRM driving honest customers into the pirates den since 1984*

* A sick salute to Macrovision I guess...

Sorry you're having this problem perhaps you might wanna search the Apple Support Discussion Forms (hosted on apples site). Tho, they'll will likely tell you everything is FINE and ITS supposed to work that way. They tend to do that whenever someone posting a problem with Apple products.

EDIT!

Actually something odd happened to me today... I looked up and for some odd reason my clock was like 6 or 7 hours ahead. I went into the time settings and somehow it though my machine was somewhere across the Atlantic.... Weird and if I let it 'auto set' it kept doing it... I had to manually modify it to NYC.

Perhaps IF iTunes somehow looks at timezone information that might muck things up... THO this is JUST a wild a*sed guess.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Quote:

Have you reported the issue to the iTunes support team? The last time I ran into authorisation issues they were pretty good at working with me to try and resolve them.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

I had a similar problem on a recently downloaded episode of Terra Nova a month or so ago, the free pilot. I was using my MacBook Pro through an HDMI adaptor to my LCD TV (a Sony) and got the same message, I believe. Wasn't the end of the world and we watched the epidode on the laptop in the end. I should try that again and see if it happens again.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I hope it fixes a weird bug I've had since I did the last update, whereby it would tell me all my libraries on my Mac contained no content. The fix was to close and re-open iTunes on the Mac, but since the Mac is all the way upstairs, and the Apple TV was in the living room, it was a pain to do.

I have this problem quite frequently on my 1st-gen ATV and the solution is the same. I have VNC on my iPhone and run the built-in VNC server on my Mac Mini upstairs so I can remote in on my phone and restart iTunes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Sad thing is had you actually been a THIEF you wouldn't have this silly hiccups.

DRM driving honest customers into the pirates den since 1984*

300% agree. Just wait until this goes through...
  • Reply 7 of 22
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Cult of Mac is reporting that the update contains a fix for Mexican Netflix and to address a problem around sound playing through the optical audio port if the TV is turned off.

See Cult of Mac Apple TV fix.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Anyone know how far I can update my original AppleTV? It is currently with my sister who is not savvy at this so I cannot test it myself to find out.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Anyone know how far I can update my original AppleTV? It is currently with my sister who is not savvy at this so I cannot test it myself to find out.

I think my first gen is stuck at 3.0.2
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I hope it addresses an issue i'm having with iTunes Music Match. I "matched" or uploaded 24,000 songs. Works like a charm on iPad 2 and iPhone 4. Apple TV however only shows ONE artist (and i'm not particularly fond of that artist).
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Could be a cable connection error. Turn off the Apple TV and turn it back on and/or disconnect and then reconnect the HDMI cable. Works for me every time.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post

Cult of Mac is reporting that the update contains a fix for Mexican Netflix and to address a problem around sound playing through the optical audio port if the TV is turned off.

See Cult of Mac Apple TV fix.

There's a Mexican Netflix?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

yes, it is called "El Netflix"

Tried finding a link to it on Netflix.com, but couldn't.

Instead I found, on netflix they only list Samsung TVs, PS3 and Wii as the devices that connect to Netflix.

https://signup.netflix.com/Watch

They either need to fire their web developers or something has changed recently.

Even though they show the iPad as the device used to contact them

https://signup.netflix.com/MediaCenter/ContactPR
  • Reply 14 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

SÃ*, señor! Hey, parece mucho mejor ahora mis amigos.

Why do I see the Simpsons and a man dressed as a large bee in my mind?

OMG! My Netflix is now all in Spanish!

(kidding)
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Hopefully they added the playlist folder back into podcasts. I just realized the other day that 4.4.? removed the ability to view podcasts that you added to playlists , so I can no longer access my video podcast playlist that I have used in the past. For some reason apple has limited the ability of podcasts in their latest updates. ios5 removed 2x speed, 30 second skip, etc.

Please add these functions back!

Also, please add HBO GO go to the internet tab! As much as I like netflix, I would get more use out of HBO GO
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Apple TV Software Update 4.4.3

Feature\tSummary

Netflix\tAdded support for Netflix in Mexico.

Audio Output \tAddresses an issue in which audio may not play through the optical port when the TV is turned off.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgood2 View Post

Also, please add HBO GO go to the internet tab! As much as I like netflix, I would get more use out of HBO GO

Or at least allow AirPlay . Unfortunately, it's an HBO thing- Not apple. I want HBO to go on my TV more than any other feature (including 1080p). But alas... It will likely never happen (I'm sure it has something to do with the cable companies).
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Or at least allow AirPlay . Unfortunately, it's an HBO thing- Not apple. I want HBO to go on my TV more than any other feature (including 1080p). But alas... It will likely never happen (I'm sure it has something to do with the cable companies).

you would still need a cable tv and an HBO subscription to use HBO Go. How fucking lame is that?

So it wouldn't do me any good since I only use cable for internet. I did away with cable tv long ago and have never looked back. There was so many reasons to not have cable, and only a few for keeping it.

TV is awesome to use. Purchasing a show now and then, and rent or buy movies is the way it works for our family of four. We have over the air network, and stale ass shows on netflix for our fill of reruns which to us was all cable tv was good for anyway... and it's all we need. We found it was way less expensive to buy an individual show or season of a show we like from HBO or whatever closed network there is than to pay for expensive monthly subscriptions. The $50 for internet, and $8 for netflix streaming we spend is much cheaper than the $150 a month for cable subscriptions with an eFFing HD box. It was just too much. This has saved us a lot of money.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

HBO to go would also be my most wanted feature on the appleTV (or airPlay enabled), and I would agree that it is an HBO issue, but still not sure why. While the cable companies would probably fight it, you have to be subscribed to HBO to use it and there are so much content that is not available on over the air HBO. I just want to watch some of the HBO series I have missed (Deadwood, The Wire, Flight of the Concords, etc.). Sure I can, and eventually will, watch it on my iPad, but it would be so much more convenient to watch it on a TV. Also, how can I watch a show and not be able to play on the iPad at the same time.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Most television content restrictions to originate with the cable companies. One day, someone will turn that industry on it's head.