Apple's first-party 'Texas Hold'em' game removed from iOS App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
"Texas Hold'em," the only game made by Apple itself for the iPhone and sold on the iOS App Store, has been removed and is no longer available for purchase.

First launched in the App Store since 2008 with a $4.99 price tag, the "Texas Hold'em" game developed by Apple is no longer available. Its removal was first noticed on Thursday by MacRumors.

Though "Texas Hold'em" was the only game Apple released for the iPhone, it was not the first title the company released for its portable devices. In fact, the poker game was first launched in 2006 for the iPod classic, and utilized the device's click wheel.

Apple stopped selling its iPod click wheel games earlier this year, in a similar move where the content was quietly removed from the iTunes Store.

Over the years there were signs that Apple was interested in creating more original games for the iOS App Store. In 2009, AppleInsider discovered that the company was looking to hire a first-class game developer to work at its Cupertino, Calif., headquarters.

And in August of 2010, one rumor claimed that Apple was close to acquiring a Chinese mobile Internet service provider and game developer for $148 million. However, there was never any actual indication that Apple purchased, or even considered buying, Handseeing Information Technology Co.

Instead of developing its own games, Apple has chosen to concentrate on its iOS ecosystem and the App Store where third-party developers can make their own blockbuster titles, like "Angry Birds," "Plants vs. Zombies," and "Flight Control." Apple has supported its developers with Game Center, a social networking service that lets users track their friends' progress in titles and even play games against each other head-to-head online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    It's the only Apple app I never had nor had any desire to get.

It really only existed as a "Hey, this is a game you can play while everyone else builds apps," thing, anyway.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    You didn't know? Apple used private APIs. Shame shame shame. That's a no no.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Poker games are useless on all iPhones and iPads.

I see some free poker games for the iPad on the app store, but some of them are pay to play. Who the hell is going to pay money to play a poker game where you can't win any money?

When poker becomes legal, and the retards in the US govt quit shutting down poker sites, I want to see real poker games available for iOS devices, where I can play real poker for real money. Screw the fake poker games with play chips.

If I bet $100, it needs to be a real $100 on the line, not some play chip crap.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

You didn't know? Apple used private APIs. Shame shame shame. That's a no no.

Apple can use private APIs. Why do you think private APIs exist?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Poker games are useless on all iPhones and iPads.

I see some free poker games for the iPad on the app store, but some of them are pay to play. Who the hell is going to pay money to play a poker game where you can't win any money?

When poker becomes legal, and the retards in the US govt quit shutting down poker sites, I want to see real poker games available for iOS devices, where I can play real poker for real money. Screw the fake poker games with play chips.

If I bet $100, it needs to be a real $100 on the line, not some play chip crap.

That's how I feel about most games. If I can't grow real zombies on my farm or launch real birds into real pigs or win real money playing Scrabble, what's the damn point!?
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think he's making a joke.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ha ha I get it Apple's game got banned. Silly me.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:

Ha ha I get it Apple's game got banned. Silly me.

That was funnier than the joke.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

That was funnier than the joke.

Apples play games????

Now THATS a joke!

I will be here all week, tip the waitress!
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

Quote:

Indeed Tallest.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

That's how I feel about most games. If I can't grow real zombies on my farm or launch real birds into real pigs or win real money playing Scrabble, what's the damn point!?

As opposed to those other games, poker has always been about money, that's the whole point.

Bluffing means nothing when people have nothing to lose. When money is on the line, people are put to the test. Winning a fake poker game means nothing, winning real money in poker means something.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Hmmm...why not just leave it up there and keep selling it?
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

They could kitty, but Apple's culture is to take out the trash once in a while. Anything that is not a part of their current strategy is shown the door. Clearly, developing games in-house is not part of their strategy.

Love your name, BTW
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

Maybe even fake gambling is contrary to Apples wholesome, family friendly image.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

Maybe even fake gambling is contrary to Apples wholesome, family friendly image.

Maybe it's simply they want to leave games to others after initially showing the way (not to mention SJ didn't want to open the apps store up in the beginning we now learn).
  • Reply 16 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

As opposed to those other games, poker has always been about money, that's the whole point.

Bluffing means nothing when people have nothing to lose. When money is on the line, people are put to the test. Winning a fake poker game means nothing, winning real money in poker means something.

Correct. That's why I stick to Fishdom
  • Reply 17 of 28
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Seemed like a gamble to put that up there anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

Apple doesn't care about that. There are a ton of other poker apps available on the iOS store and also plenty of bloody, violent and gory games also available.

I also disagree that poker is gambling, that's what the people in the govt claim to try and get it banned. Poker is a game of skill, with a certain amount of luck included. It's far from all luck. A skilled player will decimate non-skilled players. I paid for my iPad 2 using mostly poker winnings.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Correct. That's why I stick to Fishdom

I've never heard of that game before, it seems like one of those flash games.

One thing is for sure, the people who made that game can not spell. This is from the main site of the game.

WELCOME TO FISHDOM, THE WEBSITE FULLY DEDICATED TO THE POPULAIR GAME:

• Reply 20 of 28
    Its the only game I play regularly. I don't want to play online. My friend just got his first Apple product, iPhone, and was going to download it. Bummer.