Users report SIM card issues with Apple's iPhone 4S and iOS 5.0.1

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Although I haven't seen the SIM error with 5.0.1, the following reset has resolved the same SIM error previously. Worth a shot...

Settings / General / Reset / Reset Network Settings

G
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Boy, the number of issues with the 4S is rapidly approaching absurd levels, especially when you consider the fact that Apple had a longer than usual development cycle for what was essentially a swap of internal components into an existing design...

Wow? Glad you didn't ever grade any of my work when I was a kid. I'd have never made it out of grad school.

The enclosure looks the same. The internals are very different. This is a Qualcomm radio and it covers both GSM and CDMA. That alone makes it different from any other iPhone that has existed since the Qualcomm is the 'man behind the curtain' which ever way you go. Oh and then there is that little processor upgrade. Only 2 major diffs mentioned here but look at the software that has been added: iCloud support, complete redo of notification system, and some small little app called Siri that is now split with the UI on the phone and the engine on Apple's servers and it is cool. Throw in the dozens of other features and I think a couple of software bugs, the battery issue, and the SIM issue and the fact that Apple is all hands on deck to fix these things.

Buy what you want but before you jump over to Android to quick look at there bug count, oh you can't compare these cause there are so fragmented -- but the reviews have been glowing over there. Yep not a problem in sight, why ask any user (shouldn't be hard to get the name of some users if you don't know any since malware is up over 470%.)

Have a nice Holiday next week for those in the US and for those not hope your week goes wonderful.

Peace.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Sounds like the Hulu app is doing something wonky. Did you try other video players, like Youtube or Netflix? DId you try getting sound from the headphone jack and the internal speaker?

While I was using Hulu when the problem first presented, it is possible the app did something to the handset that killed the internal speaker until the next reboot. (I killed every application including Hulu and the internal speaker would not respond until after a reboot.)

My plan was to see if I could get sound out of the headphone jack the next time the problem presented, but it hasn't presented yet, and I haven't focused my efforts on it yet.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tlevier View Post

While I was using Hulu when the problem first presented, it is possible the app did something to the handset that killed the internal speaker until the next reboot. (I killed every application including Hulu and the internal speaker would not respond until after a reboot.)

My plan was to see if I could get sound out of the headphone jack the next time the problem presented, but it hasn't presented yet, and I haven't focused my efforts on it yet.

I have an issue with my iPad that when using CineXPlayer, VLC, or other 3rd-party apps to play video (native apps like Videos, Safari and YoUTube work fine) the sound will not come out of the internetal speaker, yet come out of the headphone jack fine. All the typical system sounds also work fine, as well as typical sound from 3rd-party apps.

Reboot, restore, not even a DFU restore would correct the issue with 5.0 or 5.0.1. I can't figure it out but assume my problem is with the audio codecs for the OS as used by those select apps.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 187member
    I had issues from day one (with iOS5.0) - especially no GSM/3G Internet. My wife had even worse problems (invalid sim card...). 5.0.1 didn't help, it even worsened the battery life.

We had our (vodafone es) SIMs replaced and til now I didn't have any problems, but my wife had the 'no internect connection' issue again today...
  • Reply 26 of 31
    I can already see it happening, the larger Apple becomes, the more problems that will plague its products. QC will drop.

I've been to Apple stores in Tokyo, Shanghai and recently HK. The amount of people getting replacement handsets is too high for my likings.

I dont read any HTC/Samsung forums and I know they dont provide any aftercare service such as apple, but i wonder if they are providing more or less what apple is.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    I had this problem. Very frustrating. I figured the most likely scenario is a bad SIM card, as I've had this problem in the past with an old dumb phone. I took it to AT&T and got a new SIM. It took 5 minutes.

No problems since.

Is the issue U.S. only? Can anyone confirm?

Verizon and Sprint don't use SIM cards, but I'm guessing the 4S for the U.S. ships with one installed. Is this an AT&T card? If so, this could be an AT&T issue people.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sip View Post

No problems in the UK. My one gripe is the missing "Turn OFF 3G" feature in iOS + iPhone4S -- it is still available in iOS5 on 3GS and iPhone4.

I don't have my iPhone yet, but on page 50 of the user manual, there is a "Turn off cellular data" option. Settings/General/Network. Sounds like that's what you're looking for.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Is the issue U.S. only? Can anyone confirm?

No it's not US only. I've read of t-mobile (germany) issues back in october and my own problems are with Vodafone (es) SIMs.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirdir View Post

No it's not US only. I've read of t-mobile (germany) issues back in october and my own problems are with Vodafone (es) SIMs.

Australia as well...but simply fixed by re-boot.

Not just 4S...all iPhones with IOS 5.0.1..and all networks!!!

too many conspiracy theories which do not stand up to light of day

our local (online) MUG advice had an answer within ten minutes after the IOS had been released

about twenty comments and a collaborative problem solve can up with the answer/work around.

pays to belong to iMug (australian internet mac users' group)

no hysteria...just clear support and advice
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by garybau View Post

Australia as well...but simply fixed by re-boot.

But that doesn't fix it permanently, does it?

Quote:

Not just 4S...all iPhones with IOS 5.0.1..and all networks!!!

Hm, never had issues with my iPhone 4 and I had 5.0.1(beta) before I upgraded to the 4S. But I also had the issues with the 4S and 5.0.0.