Major PC makers plan to concede tablet market to Apple, Amazon in 2012

Comments

• Reply 61 of 133
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Haha, really? So will Dell (and HP, Asus, Acer etc.) be shutting down and giving the money back to the shareholders?

If Steve Jobs's idea about the post-PC era is even partially true, then their laptop and desktop business is going to decrease in importance. Besides, Apple has been getting the lion's share of PC sales profits with just 5% of the market, meaning that Dells and HPs $500 laptops aren't very profitable. So, unless they shift focus to what comes to replace PCs, they should indeed close down.

But how realistic is that they cannot make profits from tablets? Tablets have less components and are far less complex machines than the PCs that have moving parts such as keyboards, optical disk drives, hard drives. They should be much easier and cheaper to manufacture. There will soon be at least two major OSs that will compete for tablets, Windows in addition to Android, which will bring the price of software down. So where's the problem?

According to the article, content providers such as Amazon and B&N are drinking the manufacturer's milkshake. Really? How much does Apple make from content as compared to hardware sales? Peanuts. About 1% of all revenue, without considering the maintenance of content. So, if Apple were to adopt Amazon's model -- sell hardware at a loss, and try to make it up with content and services -- they'd go broke.

Obviously Amazon is taking a loss with the Kindle in exchange for a large market share and hope for a decent, but not great return. They should be happy if everyone purchasing a $200 Kindle spend another $200 on content. They may, as some have predicted, end up losing big time.

Why wouldn't hardware manufacturers be able to turn a profit then? I believe they were just greedy with the $600 Galaxy Tab and Xoom, going after Apple's profit margins. I believe that HP could have done well if they offered the Touchpad at a slightly higher price than what it goes for now on Amazon (~$260). Instead of having a healthy level of sales at $350-$400, they had to do a fire sale at $99, how stupid was that?

Whatever, rant over, I may be entirely wrong, but I call this whole article BS.
  • Reply 62 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

First at work I wanted to move a bunch (100s) of pdfs on to it.

Maybe the iCloud one day can fulfill this need? Just curious. For you, for now, it seems that you need an MBA.
  • Reply 63 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

P.S. (Off topic) I'm looking to get a print app for my iPad...any suggestions? Thx.

Why doesn't Apple support iOS printing through their AirPort Base Stations?
  • Reply 64 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Now we'll put to test that theory about how competition is the only thing that pushes Apple forward. It seems to me that Apple barely pays any attention to what their competition is doing (aside from occasionally grabbing a good idea like notifications) and just pushes forward with their own vision. If the iPad stagnates over the next two years, I guess those theories will be proven right, but I'm betting it doesn't. I'm betting the iPad continues evolving at the same pace as before, no competition required.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavidCV View Post

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."

-- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

-- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year."

-- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"But what ... is it good for?"

-- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,commenting on the microchip.

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."

-- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us."

-- Western Union internal memo, 1876.

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"

-- David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920s.

"The concept is interesting and well-formed, but in order to earn better than a 'C,' the idea must be feasible."

-- A Yale University management professor in response to Fred Smith's paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service. (Smith went on to found Federal Express Corp.)

"I'm just glad it'll be Clark Gable who's falling on his face not Gary Cooper."

-- Gary Cooper on his decision not to take the leading role in "Gone With The Wind."

"A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make."

-- Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting Mrs. Fields'Cookies.

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out."

-- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.

"Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible."

-- Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The literature was full of examples that said you can't do this."

-- Spencer Silver on the work that led to the unique adhesives for 3-M "Post-It" Notepads.

"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'"

-- Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and HP interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer.

"Professor Goddard does not know the relation between action and reaction and the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react. He seems to lack the basic knowledge ladled out daily in high schools."

-- 1921 New York Times editorial about Robert Goddard's revolutionary rocket work.

"You want to have consistent and uniform muscle development across all of your muscles? It can't be done. It's just a fact of life. You just have to accept inconsistent muscle development as an unalterable condition of weight training."

-- Response to Arthur Jones, who solved the "unsolvable" problem by inventing Nautilus.

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy."

-- Drillers who Edwin L. Drake tried to enlist to his project to drill for oil in 1859.

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau."

-- Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University, 1929.

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value."

-- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."

-- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction".

-- Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872

"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon".

-- Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, appointed Surgeon-Extraordinary to Queen Victoria 1873.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."

-- Bill Gates, 1981

"$100 million dollars is way too much to pay for Microsoft."

-- IBM, 1982

"Who the h_ll wants to hear actors talk?"

-- H.M. Warner, Warner Brothers, 1927.

Someone, I forget who, has this as their signature:

Windows 7 a 64 bit add on for a 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprossessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

• Reply 65 of 133
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    If you read the article it also says:

"The sources pointed out that although iPad 2 is also seeing strong demand from consumers, sales were lower than those of iPad, indicating that consumers' strong enthusiasm for tablet PCs has already disappeared."

So I'm inclined to believe they have no idea what they're talking about.
  • Reply 66 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenzo View Post

Let's get this right....

"Strong enthusiasm for tablets other than Apple's Ipad have already disappeared"

I for one, am very enthusiastic about the next ipad 3. Which will more than likely incorporate siri. That is the main reason i am waiting to buy an ipad!!

"More than likely...Siri." Huh? Now you're making up your own unsubstantiated rumors and believing in them. AppleInsider has trained you well. They've even convinced you it will be called "iPad 3". Their work is done.
  • Reply 67 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"More than likely...Siri." Huh? Now you're making up your own unsubstantiated rumors and believing in them. AppleInsider has trained you well. They've even convinced you it will be called "iPad 3". Their work is done.

More than likely Siri? Dam if the iPad 3 doesn't come with a 1080 retina display that beams the pictures in 3d directly to my brain while simultaneously massaging my feet and making me 3 course meal, i'm not buying it, I'm just not.
  • Reply 68 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

How will Google expand it's malware riddled Android OS without the help of Dell, Acer and HP? I guess they will have to stick to phones to spread the joy.

You forgot: they bought Motorola's awesome mobile business. They don't need those PC makers. Oh wait, that was just "patent defense." They're not gonna compete with anyone.
  • Reply 69 of 133
    Quote:

Wow! It's only the fastest growing segment of the computer market!

I'll say one thing, after enjoying my ipad2 for the last few months, I'll most likely, never buy another desktop. But, I'll definitely buy the ipad3 when it comes out! That, along with my ip4, (soon to be a 4s, which is soon to be iP5) and I'm good to go.

If there is a traditional pc in my future, I would probably choose an 11" MBA. Really, who wants to sit in front of a pc all day, anyway?

P.S. (Off topic) I'm looking to get a print app for my iPad...any suggestions? Thx.

We just tried a demo of Printopia, a $20 app that let's your iPhones iPads print to any printer on your network. It works well, even with my 1st gen iPad. You click on the 'out' arrow in any page or app ( the one that lets you email, bookmark or save etc.). Then the drop down box lists our four printers, our localhost network, Dropbox account, and Send To Mac.

The software needs to be installed on your computer then it can see anything on your network. It automagically appears on all your iPhones iPads in the out arrow dialog box in whatever app you are in. Really happy with it. None of our printers are wifi compatible and some are really old but it works!
  • Reply 70 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Wow, I am so impressed with your correcting your girlfriend there.

Don't you just hate it when the socks in the drawer get out of alignment or the toilet paper is put in back to front. Some people!

Why is everyone taking this rather ludicrous story at face value as if there was no doubt that everything it claims is true or will come to pass? - Apart fromm DavidCV!

When I arrived at the college to deliver the fifty iPads for Kappa Delta Smeg, I noticed that the girls seemed to be having pillow fights. Undaunted, but still apprehensive, I entered the house, sensing danger.

"We've been waiting for you..." said the cheerleader. "It looks like a long, hard evening of iSatisfaction..."
  • Reply 71 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maverik234 View Post

Someone, I forget who, has this as their signature:

Windows 7 a 64 bit add on for a 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprossessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

Which is a bunch of nonsense of course. Except the competition part. But they sure got their ass handed to them in those European anti-trust lawsuits in the end.
  • Reply 72 of 133
    Quote:

Really, who wants to sit in front of a pc all day, anyway?

Sadly for the millions of us who sit working at a desk all day it's not an option. I wouldn't swap my iMac for an iPad.
  • Reply 73 of 133
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

Maybe the iCloud one day can fulfill this need? Just curious. For you, for now, it seems that you need an MBA.

Nope, legal documents so they will never be in iCloud. An MBA would work but why not an iPad? As a business user it would be nice if the iPad would be easier to integrate with the MS stuff.
  • Reply 74 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I sense some tension....

wooooo saaaaaaaaaa
  • Reply 75 of 133
    Quote:

Well said. Anecdotal I know, but before my ipad2, my GF would go to our iMac in the den for facebook, emailing, photo mgt, surfing, etc., instead of using her work laptop (dell-ugh!). Now she goes straight for the iPad2 sitting on the coffee table...I get asked a lot, " r u almost done with the iPad?" of course, I correct her and tell her it's an "iPad2!".

"R U almost done with your iPad " is code for " Please get me my own iPad2 for Christmas ".

Believe me. I got my wife her own iPad even though she was technophobic - anything with more than an ON/OFF button was verboten . She loves it and is now using it every day where before our Internet provider closed her email account due to lack of activity.
  • Reply 76 of 133
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

I like my iPad but lately I've found it pretty restictive.

First at work I wanted to move a bunch (100s) of pdfs on to it. Were the heck is the fn usb port@#$%. Can you imagine how much groveling I had to do to get itunes installed at work?

Second at home I wanted to move some home movies into imovie. It took a day to figure out how to do that and it is still cumbersome.

To paraphrase Steve. Sometimes it just doesn't work. Messge to Apple: There's a lot of non-Apple stuff out there. Please make the iPad work with it.

As it is right now I'm not sure my next tablet will be an iPad. Problem is there is no viable alternative.

Apple user since 1981.

Its not ideal but you can use good reader, apparently, to move pdfs via wifi Check out this thread

As far as video goes why not the Apple iPad camera kit?
  • Reply 77 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Phew! For a while there I thought it was only me... Its tough, ain't it?

Now that's funny! Thanks for making me laugh! it's nice to talk to someone who has the same problem!

And, yes I'm beginning to think it's just easier to just do everything she says for me to do...

Best
  • Reply 78 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dadoria2 View Post

The best print app by far is print N share. It sniffs out your wifi network for any printer and you can use them. You can also print over 3G after installing the desktop software. It prints from all apps with the native print function in ios. And it saves all printers you've used just like a desktop so you don't have to keep rediscovering them.

Thx dadoria, sounds exactly what I'm looking for...I'll check it out. I like my brother MFC-795cn

Best.
  • Reply 79 of 133
    Quote:

Wow! It's only the fastest growing segment of the computer market!

I'll say one thing, after enjoying my ipad2 for the last few months, I'll most likely, never buy another desktop. But, I'll definitely buy the ipad3 when it comes out! That, along with my ip4, (soon to be a 4s, which is soon to be iP5) and I'm good to go.

If there is a traditional pc in my future, I would probably choose an 11" MBA. Really, who wants to sit in front of a pc all day, anyway?

Don't even brother with the print apps, I've wasted my money on these half baked apps. Just get an Airprint printer like the HP Envy 110 and be done with it.
  • Reply 79 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I'm not so sure this is true. 1) judging from the anecdotal evidence here and other blogs and forums I do not think users mainly use their iPad/tablets to consume entertainment, if you define it as movies, music and possibly books. And before you can make a statement like that, either you or I would need stats of some kind to back that up.

Nice try at a subtle dig at iPad for being a "consumption only" device, though.

You mistake my observation about a minimal requirement with n assessment of what the high end hardware is used for.