AT&T bumps iPhone 3GS price to 99 cents

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

i'm portuguese. how can you buy it at apple's site for free?

that's with a contract.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    doesnt sound like much but when millions are sold at $.99 vs $.00, it adds it big time
  • Reply 43 of 51
    What they don't clearly advertise is that they will also tack on an extra $18 "upgrade charge" to your next bill when you get the new phone (which is not included in the sale price, of course). Pretty annoying and dishonest, if you ask me, although they probably mention it in fine print somewhere that nobody will see it. I called AT&T and got them to refund the charge, but I bet most people just let them get away with it.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    a great way to generate news stories worth a fortune, reminding people there's a 99-cent iPhone.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

The charge .99 for the same reason they charge $99.99 for iPhone 4 and $199.99 for the iPhone 4s. It's because they are the scum of the earth and can ream you for an extra buck if you're not near an Apple Store. Best Buy also adds an extra 99¢ to all Apple products because they are also scumbags.

I want to compliment you for your calm, level-headed, rational approach to this. I'm guessing you're a business negotiator, or maybe work arbitration cases. You'd be useful solving problems with any small business staff, too. I imagine you play well with friends you disagree with. Keep up the good work.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    branding themselves as douche-bags that go that extra mile to kick their customers in the sack... they realized they might be losing a bit of that reputation that took so long to develop and did this
  • Reply 47 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aknabi View Post

branding themselves as douche-bags that go that extra mile to kick their customers in the sack... they realized they might be losing a bit of that reputation that took so long to develop and did this

it'd be a hoot to see you and halhiker (see previous post) in a room together, disagreeing about something. lighten up and enjoy life.

• Reply 48 of 51
    Now the iPhone is $0.99, when a customer goes into a ATT store and asks "what FREE phones are available?", the iPhone 3GS will be ruled out as an option.

This is designed to push other $0.00 smartphones which are probably sitting in their stockrooms gathering dust.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Those greedy bastards. Don't they know, $0.99 is like a two-week salary in a North Korean labor camp? How how will the residents of Gulag 19 afford an iPhone? Looks like they'll have to settle for a free Android phone...the horror.

Hahahahaa! I literally LOL'd several times hahaha
  • Reply 50 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

doesnt sound like much but when millions are sold at $.99 vs $.00, it adds it big time

Do you understand how many 3GS devices would have to be sold at $.99 before it was a significant amount of income for AT&T?

Most likely, the fraud issue must be true. Most other devices that are sold for "free" are done so after a mail-in-rebate so that the customer is still paying something in store as a where to validate.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzpolice View Post

First-world problem: My mom gave me $10 but I spent it all on lunch so now I can't get an iPhone. I'm totally going to kill myself on YouTube.

I'm gonna wait for that, then put it on whitewhine.com