Galaxy Nexus web benchmarks outpace iPhone 4S as 'Woz' picks up early copy

Comments

• Reply 81 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Josh Topolsky at the Verge has a pretty thorough review up. In his wrap up he says:

"The Galaxy Nexus is the best Android phone ever made. It's one of the best smartphones ever made, and with a couple of minor tweaks (particularly to the camera), it could be the best smartphone ever produced.

Still, there's really not much to knock here. The hardware is elegant and smartly designed. The software is beautiful and useful. Google has cleaned up a lot of the bad, and replaced it with a serious amount of good. It's faster, smarter, and a lot more friendly than any of its predecessors. Ice Cream Sandwich easily gives iOS and Windows Phone a run for their money, and in many ways, it's a superior operating system than either of them.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/17/2...y-nexus-review

This is from a phone that isn't intended to be top dawg. The Nexus smartphones aren't designed with the best available hardware intentionally. They're instead meant as reference devices for the other Android manufacturers as they finalize the phones designed with ICS in mind releasing this next quarter.

Sounds like someone is getting paid nicely!!!
  • Reply 82 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

Its sad to Woz get caught getting a Nexus if Steve was around he probably would of thought twice perhaps this a sign of things to come from Apple not good.. and to be honest I actually like the new Nexus.

i love Woz's enthusiasm for tech/geek things. i think apple should let him play with new devices and let him just talk about it. might glean some good ideas, maybe not, couldn't hurt.

it is a bit of a slap in the face to apple to show up and do a photo op. i imagine google new exactly what they were doing when they said 'hey woz, come get a free one first!'

i don't think the galaxy nexus is 'all that'. it is just that so many android phones are terrible that this one seems 'good'. i think it will be a 'dated' phone as soon as its available in USA. 16gig storage is all? lame. 5mp camera? lame. so so display. lame. buggy android 4. lame.

i think HTC has a phone being prepped that will outshine this one easily.

[actually, the battery on the HTC is lame too] i really don't like any of the phones right now. apple needs a new design and bigger screen (that's just my hold back from getting iphone). i see no reason to ditch my nexus one for another dodgy android phone so until the iphone 5 comes out i will probably just stay in holding pattern on phone purchase.
  • Reply 83 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

I'm not a mathematician but I am pretty sure that 5 comes after 4 and 6 comes after 5.

Did you notice the v in front of the 6. Now ask yourself... what version of the iPhone is the 4S? It must be version 4. Hmmmm... can't be because the last version before the 4S was the 4.

Still stumped?
  • Reply 84 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

The i5 is going to be great. So will the iPad3. And the new Notebooks.

Just wait. Just wait! We'll get 'em! He who laughs last laughs best!

You still lack comprehension.

Who's waiting for the next Apple products to see greatness. My post says it all about the current offerings. Nothing offered by the Android camp can knock the 4S off its perch. Nothing from Android can knock the iPad 2 off its perch. So, as I said, what happens when a totally redesigned, slightly larger screen, faster iPhone hits the street. Poor Android... all dressed up and nowhere to go.
  • Reply 85 of 135
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

If I'm reading this right, this story is unbiased. Cheers AI!!!

I was actually surprised. From years of reading AI I expected something more like "Galaxy Nexus overly fast to make up for Androids crappiness". Well, not that far, but you get my drift, they tend to make everything seem like it can't hold a candle to the Apple competitor.

More like this please, AI. Unbiased reporting, let us think for ourselves.

On topic: Well, this is exactly what I expected. The 1.2GHz dual core OMAP leads the A5 in anything CPU dependant, but the SGX540, even at twice the speed of the old one in the Nexus S, can't hold a candle to the 4S's 543MP2 dual core graphics chip. I can't wait for Android phones with both faster processors and the latter GPU, or better GPU's. I also want to know how the GPU in the quad core Tegra 3 compares, as well as the next generation Snapdragons with their new Adreno GPU's.
  • Reply 86 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

I wouldn't say that - I have no doubt that Android is very high quality spyware. If you don't mind Google knowing everything about you and selling your soul to advertisers, then Android is for you.

As for myself, I plan on staying as far away from Google's evil as I can.

Me too...Google = Big Brother
  • Reply 87 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Nothing offered by the Android camp can knock the 4S off its perch.

There is no perch.

Lots of different phones are made by lots of different companies to serve lots of different markets.

The i4S appeals to a lot of different people for a lot of different reasons. But the overwhelming majority of people who buy smart phones choose not to get one.
  • Reply 88 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

I also want to know how the GPU in the quad core Tegra 3 compares, as well as the next generation Snapdragons with their new Adreno GPU's.

They will not be as Good as Apple's chips. We know that already.
  • Reply 89 of 135
    Quote:

There is no perch.

Lots of different phones are made by lots of different companies to serve lots of different markets.

The i4S appeals to a lot of different people for a lot of different reasons. But the overwhelming majority of people who buy smart phones choose not to get one.

No perch?!

Then why are you always trying so damn hard to prove the other phones are better.

• Reply 90 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Android 4.0 does not equal the past release and should not be treated as such. Android is still a popular OS and millions of people are choosing and enjoying it.

Actually it should, b/c then my App Store is the Google or various other competing ones. The apps I want are only produced for iOS, so Android isn't a consideration for me. Ice Cream Sandwich could come on phones w/an orifice that gave you head and I'd still pass. I do have a wife after all
  • Reply 91 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post

I wonder on what body parts he is carrying those 10 phones.

They must feel like hot potatoes in his pocket(s), especially when at a distance from the nearest cell tower.

Woz is a test subject in a new Californian study to determine if cell phones cause cancer

Quote:

Indeed, as time goes by, more and more people choose Android over iOS. Increasing proportions - more and more - people look at an iPhone, and decide that they would rather get an Android phone.

Yes and all our quarterly results are currently prior to the release of the 4S and the 3GS extending Apple's market all the way down to free. We'll see how 4Q2011 and 1Q2012 go. The 4S, 4 and 3GS are the 3 most popular phone models currently.

Quote:

The number of integrated Apple homes is vanishingly small because so few people own Macs. Without a Mac, Android is King. And almost nobody owns a Mac.

Another factor that is changing rapidly. Look at the sales figures, the Mac is increasing it's market share very steadily and it has only been increasing.
  • Reply 92 of 135
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

They will not be as Good as Apple's chips. We know that already.

Do "we"? Source?
  • Reply 93 of 135
    Made the Jump from iPhone 3g to Droid X

At this time I'm just using the phone (When it works) until the contract runs out.

The phone has been buggy with every update. For me I can honestly say the phone is crap.

Would rather use a Motorola Startac than this POS Android Phone
  • Reply 94 of 135
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    http://www.google.com/nexus/#/features

I see by the specs that they bailed on the USB storage card feature. Curiously there seems to be no mention of GPS although I am assuming that was an oversight. Does anyone know if the multitasking is still using the task killer model. How does it compare to Apples suspended app feature?
  • Reply 95 of 135
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I see by the specs that they bailed on the USB storage card feature. Curiously there seems to be no mention of GPS although I am assuming that was an oversight. Does anyone know if the multitasking is still using the task killer model. How does it compare to Apples suspended app feature?

"Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich multitasking

Multi-tasking has also been given a boost and with ICS it's easier to see which apps you've been using recently. If you decide you're done with using one, you can easily flick it away to close.

Google says it has made multitasking "even easier and more visual" on Android 4.0. The Recent Apps button lets users jump instantly from one task to another using the list in the System Bar. The list pops up to show thumbnail images of apps used recently ? tapping a thumbnail switches to the app."

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...to-know-954464
  • Reply 96 of 135
    Quote:

I see by the specs that they bailed on the USB storage card feature.

The device doesn't have a microSD card slot, if that's what you mean. Also, it's not possible to mount the internal flash storage as USB mass storage device (since that has the root filesystem for the OS). However, you can copy files to/from the device via USB Media Transfer Protocol or Picture Transfer Protocol.

Quote:

Does anyone know if the multitasking is still using the task killer model. How does it compare to Apples suspended app feature?

I'm not sure what you mean by "task killer model." Could you elaborate? Android will kill a process in a low-memory situation, but aside from that task killers aren't necessary or recommended.
  • Reply 97 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

No perch?!

Then why are you always trying so damn hard to prove the other phones are better.

If you pointed out a Bald Eagle sitting on a perch he'd reply there is no perch because Seagulls and Pigeons outnumber Eagles.
  • Reply 98 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rind View Post

Made the Jump from iPhone 3g to Droid X

At this time I'm just using the phone (When it works) until the contract runs out.

The phone has been buggy with every update. For me I can honestly say the phone is crap.

Would rather use a Motorola Startac than this POS Android Phone

Ahhhh the Startac, best pure cell phone ever made.
  • Reply 99 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If you pointed out a Bald Eagle sitting on a perch he'd reply there is no perch because Seagulls and Pigeons outnumber Eagles.

Funny but fatally flawed since birds do actually sit on perches.
  • Reply 100 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

You rave about graphics but you have to know their is more to games then just graphics.

And there is more to GPUs than games. BUT coming from an OS that only recently got SCROLLING right, you probably don' t have the faintest idea.