Apple iPad, Amazon Kindle Fire send tablet demand soaring for holidays

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Between Apple's iPad and the newly launched Amazon Kindle Fire, tablet sales in North America are set to reach record heights, rising 130 percent during the holidays of 2011.

Calling it "the most explosive development in the tablet market since the release of the original iPad," the Kindle Fire was found by ChangeWave Research to have strong initial demand among consumers in North America. The results of a new survey of 3,043 consumers, released on Monday, indicate that the Kindle Fire is poised to become the No. 2 selling tablet behind Apple's iPad.

Among those planning to buy a tablet device in the future, 65 percent said they would choose Apple's iPad, while 22 percent will opt for an Amazon Kindle Fire. That compares with just 4 percent of planned tablet buyers who will choose the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Beyond Samsung, no other tablet manufacturer has more than 1 percent of future tablet demand among consumers in North America.

The latest survey from ChangeWave represents the first time since the launch of the first-generation iPad that there is a double-digit contender for the No. 2 tablet spot, with the Kindle Fire set to leapfrog the competition.

The firm's analysis of the numbers suggest initial Kindle Fire demand is "a shot across the bow at Apple," but also acknowledge that the more immediate impact of the new touchscreen tablet from Amazon is on the rest of the competition, including Samsung, Motorola, Research in Motion, and Dell.

"The Amazon surge may also contain a silver lining for Apple, by damaging the tablet market hopes of the remaining competitors in the field," ChangeWave wrote.

Among the total number of customers polled, 2 percent indicated they have already ordered the Kindle Fire, while another 5 percent said they are "very likely" to purchase the device, and 12 percent indicated they are "somewhat likely." The launch of the Kindle Fire helped to push overall tablet demand to 14 percent indicating they plan to buy in the next 90 days, 8 points higher than a similar survey in August, and more than triple the level of a year ago.

But while the Kindle Fire is helping to grow the tablet market in North America, the survey also indicates that demand for Apple's iPad continues to grow, suggesting sales will not be immediately impacted by Amazon's $199 device.

"Apple continues to show enormous strength in the tablet market, where it's enjoying the best quarter in its history, according to the survey," ChangeWave revealed.

In fact, ChangeWave found that the customer satisfaction rating for the iPad is well beyond competing tablets. A total of 74 percent of all iPad owners said they're "very satisfied" with their device, compared to just 49 percent of all other tablet manufacturers combined.

A survey earlier this month from ChangeWave found that 26 percent of those buying a Kindle Fire at launch were delaying a purchase of Apple's iPad. For more on the Kindle Fire, see AppleInsider's in-depth review.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Between Apple's iPad and the newly launched Amazon Kindle Fire, tablet sales in North America are set to reach record heights, rising 130 percent during the holidays of 2011.

Calling it "the most explosive development in the tablet market since the release of the original iPad," the Kindle Fire was found by ChangeWave Research to have strong initial demand among consumers in North America. The results of a new survey of 3,043 consumers, released on Monday, indicate that the Kindle Fire is poised to become the No. 2 selling tablet behind Apple's iPad.

Among those planning to buy a tablet device in the future, 65 percent said they would choose Apple's iPad, while 22 percent will opt for an Amazon Kindle Fire. That compares with just 4 percent of planned tablet buyers who will choose the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Beyond Samsung, no other tablet manufacturer has more than 1 percent of future tablet demand among consumers in North America.

The latest survey from ChangeWave represents the first time since the launch of the first-generation iPad that there is a double-digit contender for the No. 2 tablet spot, with the Kindle Fire set to leapfrog the competition.

The firm's analysis of the numbers suggest initial Kindle Fire demand is "a shot across the bow at Apple," but also acknowledge that the more immediate impact of the new touchscreen tablet from Amazon is on the rest of the competition, including Samsung, Motorola, Research in Motion, and Dell.

"The Amazon surge may also contain a silver lining for Apple, by damaging the tablet market hopes of the remaining competitors in the field," ChangeWave wrote.

Among the total number of customers polled, 2 percent indicated they have already ordered the Kindle Fire, while another 5 percent said they are "very likely" to purchase the device, and 12 percent indicated they are "somewhat likely." The launch of the Kindle Fire helped to push overall tablet demand to 14 percent indicating they plan to buy in the next 90 days, 8 points higher than a similar survey in August, and more than triple the level of a year ago.

But while the Kindle Fire is helping to grow the tablet market in North America, the survey also indicates that demand for Apple's iPad continues to grow, suggesting sales will not be immediately impacted by Amazon's $199 device.

"Apple continues to show enormous strength in the tablet market, where it's enjoying the best quarter in its history, according to the survey," ChangeWave revealed.

In fact, ChangeWave found that the customer satisfaction rating for the iPad is well beyond competing tablets. A total of 74 percent of all iPad owners said they're "very satisfied" with their device, compared to just 49 percent of all other tablet manufacturers combined.

A survey earlier this month from ChangeWave found that 26 percent of those buying a Kindle Fire at launch were delaying a purchase of Apple's iPad. For more on the Kindle Fire, see AppleInsider's in-depth review.

Its an E-reader/media pad. It can't hold a candle to the iPad. You are really comparing Apple's to Grapes. I may get one just to read on the bus to work. Seven inches is the sweet spot and it does not bring to much attention.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    Looking at electronics catalogues this Christmas, it can now be said that we're officially in the Post PC Era. Mainstream consumers will no longer be purchasing PC's as their new computers.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    You quoted the whole article?
  • Reply 4 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Looking at electronics catalogues this Christmas, it can now be said that we're officially in the Post PC Era. Mainstream consumers will no longer be purchasing PC's as their new computers.

Well said, ipedro. I love my iPad 2. Although I wish I had got the 3G model. Looking to upgrade my iPhone 4 to the 4s in the next couple of weeks and will most likely upgrade to an ipad3 3G and ip5 when they come out next year.

I still have a sense of wonder about the iPhone. I no longer have to carry a stand alone camera, or video camera, or GPS unit ( tomtom app), no longer have to carry paper maps in the car, or cd's or separate iPod. My ekey is now a USB fob instead of a stand alone device that used to updated over a land line, or worse via USB thru a windows box (ugh!). The nike gps app is all built in (no need for sensors) which is brilliant, albeit the iPhone is a bit big and heavy for running..

It is just amazing to me, still!

My next pc purchase will probably be an MBA 11" but I'm waiting for them to add 3G to them before I buy one. Anecdotal, I know, but i would say 90% of my friends would do well just having an iPad instead of the dusty ugly windows box at home!

I'm really enjoying magazines (scuba & skiing) on Newstand btw.

Best
  • Reply 5 of 50
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    Apple needs just a little bit of competition in the tablet market just to avoid the DoJ... Amazon just stepped up to the plate.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Interesting thought. I haven't looked in a holiday catalog in years. I guess if you see tablets and other handheld computing devices over 'PCs' then we really are in the Post-PC era.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You quoted the whole article?

You'd think after 100 posts they'd know better, unless they were trying to be an ass.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Well said, ipedro. I love my iPad 2. Although I wish I had got the 3G model.

I recently lost my iPad 2. I left it somewhere. Now I'm wishing I would have paid for the 3G and AT&T's month fee. Made Find My iPad a pointless feature for a locked WiFI iPad that doesn't auto find networks. Debating whether to get one on Friday or just wait for iPad 3.

PS: If you can't switch your iPhone 4S around from carrier to carrier in the US despite being "world mode" how will they use that MDM6610 chip in the iPad 3? Will it just be one physical model for all iPad 3Gs, but you have to choose your carrier at time of purchase? I hope that isn't the case.

Quote:

My next pc purchase will probably be an MBA 11" but I'm waiting for them to add 3G to them before I buy one. Anecdotal, I know, but i would say 90% of my friends would do well just having an iPad instead of the windows box at home!

I'm waiting for the revamped MBPs and also hope they add cellular when they knock out the ODD.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    Holidays 2011 ! An eternity, in this market ..

Let s better talk about XMas sales ...
  • Reply 8 of 50
    "Welcome to the world of tomorrow!!"
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Holidays 2011 ! An eternity, in this market ..

Let s better talk about XMas sales ...

Better get ready to buy some AAPL shares to put under that tree. I'm hoping for $350 or a little under.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Interesting thought. I haven't looked in a holiday catalog in years. I guess if you see tablets and other handheld computing devices over 'PCs' then we really are in the Post-PC era.

You'd think after 100 posts they'd know better, unless they were trying to be an ass.

I recently lost my iPad 2. I left it somewhere. Now I'm wishing I would have paid for the 3G and AT&T's month fee. Made Find My iPad a pointless feature for a locked WiFI iPad that doesn't auto find networks. Debating whether to get one on Friday or just wait for iPad 3.

PS: If you can't switch your iPhone 4S around from carrier to carrier in the US despite being "world mode" how will they use that MDM6610 chip in the iPad 3? Will it just be one physical model for all iPad 3Gs, but you have to choose your carrier at time of purchase? I hope that isn't the case.

I'm waiting for the revamped MBPs and also hope they add cellular when they knock out the ODD.

Sorry to hear about ur lost ipad2, Solip! I know that hurts...as far as getting a new one, I would do it, just so u have it and enjoying it while waiting for the iPad 3....I know we've discussed it ad nauseum on these boards, on whether or not to get the latest iteration or waiting for the new model, but one thing I see rarely mentioned is, one can upgrade to a new iPhone and sell the old one. In my case the 4s is $200, and I can sell my iP4 for $250. In the case of my wifi ipad2 it's not quite as good...I could buy a new 3G and sell my wifi only iPad 2 for $300. But I look at this way, I've enjoyed the wifi ipad2 for the last 9 months, so it's really cost me $20/mo.

Anyway, again sorry to hear about the lost iPad....best
  • Reply 11 of 50
    See how well a product can do if you sell it at a $50 loss per unit! I'm not convinced this is the best idea yet.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    Quote:

I totally agree. And the worse for Apple competitors is that is also true in professional market, where laptops have largely replaced desktop computers ... Before they are all , for the most part, replaced by iPad, despite the fact some people still view it as a toy ...
  • Reply 13 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Sorry to hear about ur lost ipad2, Solip! I know that hurts...as far as getting a new one, I would do it, just so u have it and enjoying it while waiting for the iPad 3....I know we've discussed it ad nauseum on these boards, on whether or not to get the latest iteration or waiting for the new model, but one thing I see rarely mentioned is, one can upgrade to a new iPhone and sell the old one. In my case the 4s is $200, and I can sell my iP4 for $250. In the case of my wifi ipad2 it's not quite as good...I could buy a new 3G and sell my wifi only iPad 2 for $300. But I look at this way, I've enjoyed the wifi ipad2 for the last 9 months, so it's really cost me $20/mo.

Anyway, again sorry to hear about the lost iPad....best

My fault, so no need to feel sorry. I noticed they have a 1st gen with 32GB and 3G for $400 on their refurbished site. I might go ahead and do that.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Well said, ipedro. I love my iPad 2. Although I wish I had got the 3G model. Looking to upgrade my iPhone 4 to the 4s in the next couple of weeks and will most likely upgrade to an ipad3 3G and ip5 when they come out next year.

I still have a sense of wonder about the iPhone. I no longer have to carry a stand alone camera, or video camera, or GPS unit ( tomtom app), no longer have to carry paper maps in the car, or cd's or separate iPod. My ekey is now a USB fob instead of a stand alone device that used to updated over a land line, or worse via USB thru a windows box (ugh!). The nike gps app is all built in (no need for sensors) which is brilliant, albeit the iPhone is a bit big and heavy for running..

It is just amazing to me, still!

My next pc purchase will probably be an MBA 11" but I'm waiting for them to add 3G to them before I buy one. Anecdotal, I know, but i would say 90% of my friends would do well just having an iPad instead of the dusty ugly windows box at home!

I'm really enjoying magazines (scuba & skiing) on Newstand btw.

Best

I 100% agree. Just wait until you get that 4s and talking to Siri you'll add that to the list of things that blow your mind!
  • Reply 15 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My fault, so no need to feel sorry. I noticed they have a 1st gen with 32GB and 3G for $400 on their refurbished site. I might go ahead and do that.

Even better! Good idea.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

See how well a product can do if you sell it at a $50 loss per unit! I'm not convinced this is the best idea yet.

Bingo! Amazon is counting on customers paying for content to bring in the profits. It has been well documented that Android users are mostly freetards who don't buy many apps or content. I'm predicting Amazon will lose its shirt over this. The Fire buyers will use it to find as much free content as possible. They'll have a cheap, halfway decent tablet and will load it up as much free stuff as they can without buying music, videos, or magazines from Amazon. The buyer will be happy but Amazon will lose money in the deal.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I 100% agree. Just wait until you get that 4s and talking to Siri you'll add that to the list of things that blow your mind!

Yeah, I know, Digi! can't wait!

...my GF's sister just got a 4s (finally gave up on BB). She loves it....and Siri is the feature she is most impressed with!

The last straw, was she went to Paris and could not get email on her BB. I had to go over to her house and read her email to her over the phone! Sheez!

She's up for an iPad for Xmas!

P.S. I put the little apple sticker on the back window of her Suv, her Bf, is a devoted BB and windows user...he and I really have nothing in common! Other than the "sisters" of course. Sisters r good! I like sisters!

Best
  • Reply 18 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Bingo! Amazon is counting on customers paying for content to bring in the profits. It has been well documented that Android users are mostly freetards who don't buy many apps or content. I'm predicting Amazon will lose its shirt over this. The Fire buyers will use it to find as much free content as possible. They'll have a cheap, halfway decent tablet and will load it up as much free stuff as they can without buying music, videos, or magazines from Amazon. The buyer will be happy but Amazon will lose money in the deal.

One of the reasons that Android users appear to buy fewer apps is that many of the most popular paid ones in Apple's AppStore and free from the Android Market.

By the way, the silly over-used name-calling doesn't add anything to your post.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sip View Post

Apple needs just a little bit of competition in the tablet market just to avoid the DoJ... Amazon just stepped up to the plate.

I don't see why the DOJ would investigate Apple for their tablet marketshare. They aren't using any illegal practices to maintain their marketshare like MS did w/how they forced OEMs to pay them for any system they sold, even if it didn't have Windows on it. From everything I've seen the Fire is no competition for the iPad. I have yet to hear anyone say they were going to buy an iPad and decided not to b/c of the Fire.

A v S> Some of the reviews of the Fire say that reading in portrait mode makes things rather squished b/c of the widescreen format. Something to consider.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I don't see why the DOJ would investigate Apple for their tablet marketshare. They aren't using any illegal practices to maintain their marketshare like MS did w/how they forced OEMs to pay them for any system they sold, even if it didn't have Windows on it. From everything I've seen the Fire is no competition for the iPad. I have yet to hear anyone say they were going to buy an iPad and decided not to b/c of the Fire.

A v S> Some of the reviews of the Fire say that reading in portrait mode makes things rather squished b/c of the widescreen format. Something to consider.

Good points, squirrel !

Just a quick aside: If u want to see someone disappointed this Xmas, get them a tablet that is something other than an ipad2!