123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

The iPhone 4G.

I mentioned why that's off the table?

Quote:

Same case design, with a bigger screen of the same resolution.

We'll have to see. No one can know until they tell us.
  • Reply 122 of 135
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by atchijov View Post

Friend of mine have one of those. Nice phone, unfortunately you pay the price for faster CPU and slimmer (and noticeably lighter) design. In this case, price is battery life. Unless you spend the whole day close to charging port, you may not be too happy with this phone.

The classic "friend of mine".

A "friend" of mine is Steve Wozniak.
  • Reply 123 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Wozniak has admitted that his keen interest in cell phones sometimes leads him to carry as many as 10 different phones with him.

It's not easy to take a guy who carries 10 phones seriously...
  • Reply 124 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

This post is full of all kinds of hallf baked silliness.

For one, Apple's market share is rock solid. Android is not chipping away at Apple, but is taking share from WebOS, BB, and Windows mobile.

Not entirely true. Last quarter showed for the first time Android taking a few % from the iPhone, however everyone's been dismissing it as the hold out for 4S, so it remains to be seen. Next reading will certainly be interesting.

Quote:

Also, android sales numbers are rooted in garbage phones that can barely run Angry Birds, so who cares how many more phones Android sells. Developers are not investing in android, iOS is still the priority and where the resources are going. iOS makes far more money for content creators.

This is just flat out false, or a comment straight out of 2009. To say developers aren't investing in Android shows how little you know on the subject.

Quote:

As for your ramblings about the Apple eco system, it's far too silly to respond to, and shows you don't understand the iPhone and how it fits into the big picture.

Maybe he didn't, but your ramblings show you out of touch as well.
  • Reply 125 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Only tech geeks are concerned with tech specs. It's the experience that counts.

What "experience"? The iPhone screen is tiny, keyboard buttons small, data is slow (no 4G), no atenna fix for 16 month, and the battery drains fast
  • Reply 126 of 135
    Oh benchmarks... you were so cute when you mattered.
  • Reply 127 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

with a bigger screen of the same resolution.

Wouldn't that "un-Retina" the Retina Display?
  • Reply 128 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

Wouldn't that "un-Retina" the Retina Display?

It depends on two factors. The PPI and what you say is the average distance from the eyes/face in which you use the device. For instance, a 4" iPhone with the same 960x640 resolution would have a PPI down from 326 to 288, which could still be marketed as accepted definition of Retina Display without being questionable.

An iPad with double the resolution (quadruple the pixels) would still be lower at 264 PPI but could still feasibly be called Retina Display because you place the display farther from your eyes.

Raymond Soneira fudged the math by using 0.6 arcmin which is pretty much the best possible a human could have and considerably better than the 1.0 acrmin of 20/20 that we tend to call "perfect vision". Since 20/20 is the common standard I have no problem going with that for defining this marketing term, but Soneira's vision is shortsighted, at best. (Yep, puns intended)

PS: 288 PPI for a 4" iPhone is actually 2 more PPI than the minimum PPI of 286 for 20/20 vision at a distance of 12".
  • Reply 129 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

No offense to AI, but I don't have a clue what those benchmark numbers even mean.

I want to know how it performs. How will it feel in my hand? Does it have artificial intelligence? A vibrant app store? How about music and magazines? How well does it integrate with the cloud? Is the screen as beautiful as it is big? Does the camera system deliver beautiful photos?

I'm sure a benchmark of 9895757893838 kicks ass, but to me it seems to be a waste of reporting because the consumer walks away without learning anything relevant.

"Engineers are all basically high-functioning autistics who have no idea how normal people do stuff.

Cory Doctorow ,Eastern Standard Tribe, 2004 American science fiction writer"
  • Reply 130 of 135
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    "'Woz' picks up early copy"

How do you pick up a "copy" of a phone?? Software maybe, but a phone? Maybe Google has a new copier they are working on. Drop something in and a copy pops out!!!!

Tom
  • Reply 131 of 135
    The Woz is a living troll!
  • Reply 132 of 135
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

What "experience"? The iPhone screen is tiny, keyboard buttons small, data is slow (no 4G), no atenna fix for 16 month, and the battery drains fast

The 4S has 2 antennas that switch when needed. I'd say that counts as fixing the antenna issue. Consumer Reports agreed.
  • Reply 133 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The 4S has 2 antennas that switch when needed. I'd say that counts as fixing the antenna issue. Consumer Reports agreed.

But it's still externally placed, which was what was inherently wrong with the whole antenna on the iPhone 4. Remember the "How dumb could Apple be for putting the antenna on the outside?" and "No one puts the antenna on the outside because it's a stupid idea." type comments?
  • Reply 134 of 135
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But it's still externally placed, which was what was inherently wrong with the whole antenna on the iPhone 4. Remember the "How dumb could Apple be for putting the antenna on the outside?" and "No one puts the antenna on the outside because it's a stupid idea." type comments?

So what? The problem w/having it on the outside was having as ingle spot on it that could attenuate the signal to the point of losing the signal completely. Now if you try to do that, it simply switches to the other antenna. Voila. They get to maintain their better signal, which the iPhone 4 certainly had over the 3GS and still have the same physical design. The problem is resolved unless you are cupping the entire phone on all sides, in which case you probably have massive Andre the Giant kinda hands
  • Reply 135 of 135
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It depends on two factors. The PPI and what you say is the average distance from the eyes/face in which you use the device. For instance, a 4" iPhone with the same 960x640 resolution would have a PPI down from 326 to 288, which could still be marketed as accepted definition of Retina Display without being questionable.

An iPad with double the resolution (quadruple the pixels) would still be lower at 264 PPI but could still feasibly be called Retina Display because you place the display farther from your eyes.

Raymond Soneira fudged the math by using 0.6 arcmin which is pretty much the best possible a human could have and considerably better than the 1.0 acrmin of 20/20 that we tend to call "perfect vision". Since 20/20 is the common standard I have no problem going with that for defining this marketing term, but Soneira's vision is shortsighted, at best. (Yep, puns intended)

PS: 288 PPI for a 4" iPhone is actually 2 more PPI than the minimum PPI of 286 for 20/20 vision at a distance of 12".

The display on my Wave S8500 is 283 ppi and it is Super AMOLED. No wonder I like it so much ;-)