Apple iPad, Amazon Kindle Fire send tablet demand soaring for holidays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good points, squirrel !

Just a quick aside: If u want to see someone disappointed this Xmas, get them a tablet that is something other than an ipad2!

An important point that should be mentioned. The Fire has only been out on Amazon for a few days, yet already 25% of upcoming tablet purchasers stated they want one over the iPad, around for a couple of years now and widely/often advertised. IMHO that's quite an accomplishment for Amazon and is an indication of the market visibility they have.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    So is the Kindle a Tablet or not a Tablet?
  • Reply 23 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

According to AI, it's a tablet. IMO it's a reader.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

An important point that should be mentioned. The Fire has only been out on Amazon for a few days, yet already 25% of upcoming tablet purchasers stated they want one over the iPad, around for a couple of years now and widely/often advertised. IMHO that's quite an accomplishment for Amazon and is an indication of the market visibility they have.

I don't disagree, Gator...I guess I just like Apple! similar to the fact that I prefer the beatles over ELO, or cold ice cream over warm ice cream, or a regular size prostate over an enlarged prostate....to each his own!

Just teasing....

Best
  • Reply 25 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I don't disagree, Gator...I guess I just like Apple! similar to the fact that I prefer the beatles over ELO, or cold ice cream over warm ice cream, or a regular size prostate over an enlarged prostate....to each his own!

Just teasing....

Best

Hmm. . . Christopher from Arizona. . .

Do we know each other?
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Quote:

According to AI, it's a tablet. IMO it's a reader.

Thats what I was thinking, that its not really a Table nor even an iPad category. Yet so many reviewers and bloggers are glowing the Fire as a great buy instead of the iPad for 200 bucks. Yet they always fail to mention what exactly will be missing for that price and 7" factor is terrible for magazines or comic book readers.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:

Hmm. . . Christopher from Arizona. . .

Do we know each other?

I'm in fountain hills!
  • Reply 28 of 50
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Kind of like how the HP Touchpad did amazingly once they dropped the price to $100? I'm willing to bet that a lot of the people who are saying they will buy a Fire over an iPad would never have spent the $500 in the first place, but might consider it for $200. This is likely a price sensitivity more than anything else.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Not according to ArsTechnica. They said that as long as you don't think of it as a tablet, you'll be ok. It wasn't a very positive review honestly.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Where are they stats that say they want one over the iPad, which is not the same as likely getting a Kindle Fire instead of an iPad due to the low cost. I want my own private jet over flying coach, but you guess which one is more likely to happen first?

You are trying to paint a picture that iPad sales will fall and that somehow the iPad will lose out in the market, but that's simply not the case. Here's how I (we all) know this: 1) Kindle Fire is a loss leader which means that Apple is still getting the profits from the tablet market. 2) Not being a fully functional tablet the iPad is still in an inexpensive replacement for the casual and/or on the go computer user. 3) Kindle Fire's forking of Android and loss leader device has made it much harder for other tablet makers to try to come in below Apple to steal marketshare. You either have the entry level device that is to tablets as AOL was to the Internet, and you have the iPad.

The Kindle Fire will do very well to help Amazon's bottom line in selling their other wares, but Apple will do even better from the Kindle Fire's entry into the tablet market.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Looking at electronics catalogues this Christmas, it can now be said that we're officially in the Post PC Era. Mainstream consumers will no longer be purchasing PC's as their new computers.

The Kindle Fire can't possibly replace a computer. Sales of it will most likely simply take the place of some other big ticket item under a bunch of Christmas trees and then get tossed aside like so many other christmas gifts. And it can't be selling nearly as well as anyone thought because there is no wait to buy them.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You are trying to paint a picture that iPad sales will fall and that somehow the iPad will lose out in the market. . .

Not at all

I'm noting that I find it amazing that Amazon got such a high profile for their Fire within days of it's release, attracting 25% of probable tablet buyers this holiday season. How does that become "ipad sales will fall". With the tablet market so hot right now even if Amazon sells 5 million Kindle Fire's between now and the end of the year, iPad sales would still go up over last season.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Quote:

Where are they stats that say they want one over the iPad, which is not the same as likely getting a Kindle Fire instead of an iPad due to the low cost. I want my own private jet over flying coach, but you guess which one is more likely to happen first?

there are no stats that say this. iPad demand, according to this survey, is still fairly steady. The survey seems to indicate nothing more than that the Fire is the choice of non-iPad tablet consumers.

And I am guessing demand is slowing from when the survey was taken and that returns will be fairly high on this item, based on no wait time to buy the Fire and anecdotal evidence from Best Buy, where apparently half the Fires sold come back the next day.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strask View Post

there are no stats that say this. iPad demand, according to this survey, is still fairly steady. The survey seems to indicate nothing more than that the Fire is the choice of non-iPad tablet consumers.

And I am guessing demand is slowing from when the survey was taken and that returns will be fairly high on this item, based on no wait time to buy the Fire and anecdotal evidence from Best Buy, where apparently half the Fires sold come back the next day.

I bet survey doesn't cover how these potential tablet buyers werent tablet buyers when the price of entry started at $500, not $200.

I bet the Kindle is more like the iPod Touch in introducing people to a new way of computing. Fr the Fire it introduces them to the tablet concept, with the Touch it introduces them to Apple and iOS ecosystem. I predict record iPad sales this quarter.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Down market today...

- 5.44% AMZN

+1.45% BKS (Barnes and Noble)

For an interesting perspective, go to eBay and see how the iPad, Fire and Nook Color are being listed...

Edit: Look at PlayBook and Galaxy Tab too...
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:

I bet survey doesn't cover how these potential tablet buyers werent tablet buyers when the price of entry started at $500, not $200.

I bet the Kindle is more like the iPod Touch in introducing people to a new way of computing. Fr the Fire it introduces them to the tablet concept, with the Touch it introduces them to Apple and iOS ecosystem. I predict record iPad sales this quarter.

Boy are you ever taking a leap there!?! The Vegas odds are dead even... no money on that horse as a spectator... unless you own some of the horse

AAPL looking very "attractive" today... what gives?
  • Reply 36 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Down market today...

- 5.44% AMZN

+1.45% BKS (Barnes and Noble)

For an interesting perspective, go to eBay and see how the iPad, Fire and Nook Color are being listed...

Edit: Look at PlayBook and Galaxy Tab too...

I looked at eBay and don't see a pattern or anything notable. What is it you're getting at?
  • Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strask View Post

The Kindle Fire can't possibly replace a computer. Sales of it will most likely simply take the place of some other big ticket item under a bunch of Christmas trees and then get tossed aside like so many other christmas gifts. And it can't be selling nearly as well as anyone thought because there is no wait to buy them.

Although I am anticipating a tablet purchase in the next year (possibly an iPad 3 or maybe not) a tablet will NEVER replace a desktop computer for me. I have always played computer based games and need a mouse/keyboard combo to do so effectively. Also just not enough graphical horsepower in a tablet.

I can see the tablet being used for watching movies/facebook/browsing/email a lot though.

Come on Apple give me an iPad 3 with a high res display!
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

See how well a product can do if you sell it at a $50 loss per unit! I'm not convinced this is the best idea yet.

Agreed.

In addition, Amazon may just define the Non-iPad tablet market. That would suck for Samsung and, if the experience isn't all people hoped it would be, it will set Apple up for iPod like domination of this market (at least for a while longer...).

[Conversely, if people find that the Fire does all that they want a tablet to do, Apple will have a very hard time keeping their sales (and margins) where they are now.]
  • Reply 39 of 50
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

It Made Find My iPad a pointless feature for a locked WiFI iPad that doesn't auto find networks.

It sucks that you lost your iPad, but you can make it send you an email alert as soon as somebody else finds it and they try to connect to a WIFI network.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    I wonder how strong the demand for the Fire actually is. It's in stock and ready to ship today for new orders. If demand was so large, how did they fill all back orders and have plenty left over. It just started shipping last week. Two weeks ago there were reports that Amazon increased their order for 2011 to five million from 4 million. Really?