Apple allegedly delays iOS 5.0.2 to address memory leaks

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Backpedaling on a rumor that Apple would release iOS 5.0.2 to address software bugs this week, a new rumor claims the update has been delayed due to memory leaks in the code.

German-language site Macerkopf.de posted an update on Monday in which the site claimed that iOS 5.0.2 requires more testing before it can be released. A source reportedly said that the company doesn't want to be in a rush to release another minor release in the form of iOS 5.0.3 soon after.

The site originally reported last week that an iOS 5.0.2 update would arrive "no later" than this week to address battery life issues experienced by some iPhone 4S users. Apple already issued one update earlier this month in the form of iOS 5.0.1 to quash bugs, including some related to battery life, as well as Documents in the Cloud.

The rumored iOS 5.0.2 update is said to provide iPhone 4S users with 10 hours of active use. Apple's official technical specifications advertise 200 hours of standby time, up to 8 hours of 3G talk time, 6 hours of 3G Internet use, 10 hours of video playback, or 40 hours of audio playback.

Last week's report also claimed that Apple is also working on its next major iOS update, numbered 5.1, with "many changes" related to Siri voice control. But the site said development of Siri is "very expensive," and the update will not arrive until after the new year.

Macerkopf.de incorrectly reported earlier this year that Apple would take the wraps off iOS 5 and a newly updated MobileMe at a media event in early April, consistent with its actions in years past. But this year the company actually waited until its Worldwide Developers Conference in June to unveil iOS 5 and iCloud.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Good. Get it right, then push it out.

Now about those Safari memory leaks?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    I hope Siri gets integrated into Goog'em maps next update. I hate asking her where something is, only for me have to look at teh screen. Navigate it for me woman!
  • Reply 3 of 39
    This site's claims seem ridiculous.

1) Why does anyone think Apple would release a new update in Thanksgiving week is beyond me. Not only will they be receiving a large influx of new users, they will have far less employees at hand to actually troubleshoot any issues.

2) "Siri development is expensive"? This makes no sense. Really, none at all. Apple has a largely fixed number of developers working on Siri (or any other project), and Siri will be updated when those developers are able to complete their work. Adding more people (hence increasing costs) will not make Siri updates come any earlier ("Mythical Man Month"). It's possible that Siri operations are expensive, so Apple wants to limit its capabilities for now, but that is not what the site is claiming.

The site is clearly just making stuff up. Have they had any rumors that were accurate?
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

I hope Siri gets integrated into Goog'em maps next update. I hate asking her where something is, only for me have to look at teh screen. Navigate it for me woman!

That does seem pretty silly. On android, say "Navigate to 123 Main St, Any Town, Any State", and the right thing happens. We all patiently await Siri 2.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

1) Why does anyone think Apple would release a new update in Thanksgiving week is beyond me. Not only will they be receiving a large influx of new users, they will have far less employees at hand to actually troubleshoot any issues.

2) "Siri development is expensive"? This makes no sense. Really, none at all. Apple has a largely fixed number of developers working on Siri (or any other project), and Siri will be updated when those developers are able to complete their work. Adding more people (hence increasing costs) will not make Siri updates come any earlier ("Mythical Man Month"). It's possible that Siri operations are expensive, so Apple wants to limit its capabilities for now, but that is not what the site is claiming.

The site is clearly just making stuff up. Have they had any rumors that were accurate?

I had an Apple Store employee tell me 5.0.2 would be coming before Thanksgiving to address additional and/or continued issues with the battery drain of some devices.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

That does seem pretty silly. On android, say "Navigate to 123 Main St, Any Town, Any State", and the right thing happens. We all patiently await Siri 2.

Siri is genius, but I think they held it back too much. I want to be able to do most things from Siri. The Navigation is most important to me for right now.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:

Indeed. The fact that this is a rumor negating a rumor adds to the ridiculous levels.

Plus has anyone actually seen this 5.0.2 in the developers info. Wouldn't they release this so that apps can be appropriately updated, just like they did with 5.0.1. I don't recall any peeps about this one
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I had an Apple Store employee tell me 5.0.2 would be coming before Thanksgiving to address additional and/or continued issues with the battery drain of some devices.

But did the employee say that based on actual info from Cupe (which would be a first) or because he read it on a site like this and assumed they knew what they were talking about
  • Reply 9 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

But did the employee say that based on actual info from Cupe (which would be a first) or because he read it on a site like this and assumed they knew what they were talking about

He said he was allowed to tell me that. I was returning my iPhone 4S at the time. I specifically asked himbecause it's not like an Apple Store employee to divulge any information about such things, including certain issues with devices.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    Although I'm not having any problems with the 4s, I'm reading that others are having several issues in addition to the battery problems. Apple should take their time and polish the update. Every little issue with an Apple product seems to be blown out of proportion on the web.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanl View Post

I have really high hopes for iOS 6, especially in regards to Siri+Maps. Im sure Siri will add all sorts of features and get even more accurate. All of those map-related purchases will probably pay off next year too. 3D maps, turn-by-turn, Schematics, etc. should really put iOS at the top of the heap when it comes to navigation. Add Siri integration and it will blow minds!
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

Siri team is said to be one of the biggest team in Apple. That shows how serious and invested Apple is to Siri..
  • Reply 13 of 39
    I was under the impression that Apple gave everyone the week off for Thanksgiving, at least according to Tim Cook.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I was under the impression that Apple gave everyone the week off for Thanksgiving, at least according to Tim Cook.

Did you not read the memo fully? A week off, from home.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

He said he was allowed to tell me that. I was returning my iPhone 4S at the time. I specifically asked him because it's not like an Apple Store employee to divulge any information about such things, including certain issues with devices.

Wait, that's a joke, right?

Apple store employees love to spout off and pretend they know something that's not public. And they never do.

I really hope you're kidding.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

Did you not read the memo fully? A week off, from home.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Memo

In recognition of the hard work you've put in this year, we're going to take some extra time off for Thanksgiving. We will shut down with pay on November 21, 22 and 23 so our teams can spend the entire week with their families and friends.

Or were you joking again?
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or were you joking again?

Well, if it were my company, all vacations take place at work!
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Also, Apple please rename Music app to iPod again.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Also, Apple please rename Music app to iPod again.

And? recombine the videos into it?
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And? recombine the videos into it?

I forgot about that. I still haven't had an iPod yet, so I want it to say iPod. I know I'm a few years late....but I want ot be apart of something!