Apple allegedly delays iOS 5.0.2 to address memory leaks

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Maybe Apple should turn on Automatic Reference Counting in their code.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Wait, that's a joke, right?

Apple store employees love to spout off and pretend they know something that's not public. And they never do.

I really hope you're kidding.

Not at all. This is the first time I've ever had an Apple Store employee tell me about an impending update.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    I'm not sure what the deal is, but all my apps keep crashing after updating to 5.0.1 on both my iPhone 4S' (including Safari). Hopefully, Apple takes their time and 5.0.2 is more stable.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not at all. This is the first time I've ever had an Apple Store employee tell me about an impending update.

Right, but you've been around here long enough to know that it happens all the time all over the country. No?

If not, allow me to be the one to break it to you - even if the guy crossed his heart in the boy scout pledge of honor, he doesn't know non-public information.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    All I know is this:

3GS with 4.3/5.0 - 6am - 6pm, 3% battery used

4S with 5.0 - 6am - 6pm, 4-5% battery used

4S with 5.01 - 6am - 6pm, 13% battery used. Holey underwear! WTF!
  • Reply 26 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I'm not sure what the deal is, but all my apps keep crashing after updating to 5.0.1 on both my iPhone 4S' (including Safari). Hopefully, Apple takes their time and 5.0.2 is more stable.

Of course your phone would be having every possible problem.

Quote:

Right, but you've been around here long enough to know that it happens all the time all over the country. No?

If not, allow me to be the one to break it to you - even if the guy crossed his heart in the boy scout pledge of honor, he doesn't know non-public information.

That isn't what I recall as the norm. Always seemed they tight lipped even about known betas and issues, hence my surprise, even thought a thanksgving week release seems unlikely.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Of course your phone would be having every possible probles.

That isn't what I recall as the norm. Always seemed they tight lipped even about known betas and issues, hence my surprise, even thought a thanksgving week release seems unlikely.

What?
  • Reply 28 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Also, Apple please rename Music app to iPod again.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And… recombine the videos into it?

For that matter, why are the App Store and the Bookstore fractured away from "iTunes" (which should be called the "iTunes Store", for clarity)? I recently did a iTunes store search on my laptop, found a book I wanted, but when I went to the iTunes app on my phone I couldn't find it (my phone wasn't connected and I don't have wireless sync on; I'm one of those 4S battery people)... realized I needed to go into "iBook" and then "Library" tab, and *then* search for the book.

Not only is it cumbersome to have one kind of interface on a laptop (i.e., a unified iTunes store) and another on the phones, but it's also counter-productive. If I search a topic in the unified store, I might get synergies that I didn't expect.

For instance I might search "yoga" looking for a video, but then find a link to a great book, and/or podcast, and/or app. But if I do the search on the phone, in "iTunes" I'll only get part of those results (including, *oddly*, including audiobooks, but not written books!); conversely if I search in the Library of iBooks, I'll find books but not any apps or podcasts, etc.

This doesn't make sense; for simplicity, synergies, and the simple freeing up of space on the home screen, there should just be one app called "Store", where I can search what I want, broad or narrow.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

All I know is this:

Yup, me too; my 4S was bad at first with 5.0, but seemed to stabilize after draining the battery to 2% and then recharging (plus me turning off push and doing some other tweaks). My first day with 5.0.1 was like going back to square one; and two nights ago, I went to bed with the phone around 18% and woke up with a brick that wouldn't even come on when plugged in; I had to have it plugged in for over 3 minutes before it would respond to any input. That's just crazy.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    There is no 5.0.2 in any developer release, so I really heartily doubt this is accurate. It would positively befuddle me for Apple to keep a minor bump some major secret... so secret that not even developers get to install and test it.

Although I could be wrong, from my vantage point there is no 5.0.2 right now - the whole thing is a myth. If it drops on our doorsteps tomorrow so much the better, but from what I can see, this is just a bunch of hooey.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Are you sure you aren't, say, exaggerating just a wee bit?

All of them crash. All. You can't do anything with your phone, because the apps all crash.

Somehow I find that really difficult to believe - call me a contrarian.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    pls get it right ..........this time!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 33 of 39
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

All I know is this:

I don't understand these people who just put their phone on the desk all day and get that kind of battery life! Maybe I'm an outlier but I use my phone heavily! Web browsing, email, phone calls, all day long as part of my job. With old iPhones I'd make it to 5 PM with 40-50% left. With the 4S, I am at 30% by 5 usually, but it doesn't die before bed like it used to.

I think what really happened is that the phone goes from 100 --> 30% much faster than it used to, but slower the rest of the way. I think it's really all just a recalibration of the battery drain, not a change in usage. For the most part, that is. Of course the people who truly get far less life, that's something happening. But I think a lot of people see their phone hit 30% super fast and assume that something's wrong, but don't ever wait to see how long that 30% lasts them. I bet Apple recalibrates it as part of 5.02.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Well since iOS 5 came out I can't go a day without my iPhone 4 completely running out of battery life. And I hardly use it! I've found various articles advising turning off location services, and other tips which I've done, but it doesn't seem to help.

Pathetic.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Well since iOS 5 came out I can't go a day without my iPhone 4 completely running out of battery life. And I hardly use it! I've found various articles advising turning off location services, and other tips which I've done, but it doesn't seem to help.

Pathetic.

Well, since iOS 5 came out, I can still go a week or more without my 1st gen iPad completely running out of battery life. And I don't hardly use it.

Wonderful.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

Well, since iOS 5 came out, I can still go a week or more without my 1st gen iPad completely running out of battery life. And I don't hardly use it.

Wonderful.

<slow clap>

Wow I wish I lived in your world where you never had any issues. Must be nice.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

<slow clap>

Wow I wish I lived in your world where you never had any issues. Must be nice.

Your assessment of "pathetic" is not indicative of the entire pool of experiences. It is nice to live in a world where my experiences are not immediately assumed to be the ONLY experiences, yes.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:

I don't understand these people who just put their phone on the desk all day and get that kind of battery life! Maybe I'm an outlier but I use my phone heavily! Web browsing, email, phone calls, all day long as part of my job. With old iPhones I'd make it to 5 PM with 40-50% left. With the 4S, I am at 30% by 5 usually, but it doesn't die before bed like it used to.

I think what really happened is that the phone goes from 100 --> 30% much faster than it used to, but slower the rest of the way. I think it's really all just a recalibration of the battery drain, not a change in usage. For the most part, that is. Of course the people who truly get far less life, that's something happening. But I think a lot of people see their phone hit 30% super fast and assume that something's wrong, but don't ever wait to see how long that 30% lasts them. I bet Apple recalibrates it as part of 5.02.

I do not use my phone for my work, not much at all during the day(maybe at lunch). But, your experience is an additional 'data point' to consider.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

Your assessment of "pathetic" is not indicative of the entire pool of experiences...

I never said it was. The fact that you would jump to that conclusion is odd.