Apple iPad, Amazon Kindle Fire send tablet demand soaring for holidays

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It sucks that you lost your iPad, but you can make it send you an email alert as soon as somebody else finds it and they try to connect to a WIFI network.

That's the thing, unless they try up to 10,000 possible PIN combinations they aren't going to get into my device to connect it to a WiFi network. And it's unlikely it'll auto-connect to an open-WiFi network that doesn't have a splash-screen, like Starbucks.

Since I doubt anyone would go to that much trouble over simply wiping the device the only real option I have is reporting it stolen and getting my device ID on some list on Apple's servers so if they take it in for repair some flag comes up. But I won't bother with that since I lost it, it wasn't directly stolen, and I had no info on the screen or casing to indicate how to get in touch with the owner.

I will definitely be getting the 3G model next time and paying AT&T for their cellular service each month, but my iPad usage needs have also grown and I'll be getting the most expensive model, too, not the least expensive like I did with my iPad 2.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That's the thing, unless they try up to 10,000 possible PIN combinations they aren't going to get into my device to connect it to a WiFi network. And it's unlikely it'll auto-connect to an open-WiFi network that doesn't have a splash-screen, like Starbucks.

Since I doubt anyone would go to that much trouble over simply wiping the device the only real option I have is reporting it stolen and getting my device ID on some list on Apple's servers so if they take it in for repair some flag comes up. But I won't bother with that since I lost it, it wasn't directly stolen, and I had no info on the screen or casing to indicate how to get in touch with the owner.

I will definitely be getting the 3G model next time and paying AT&T for their cellular service each month, but my iPad usage needs have also grown and I'll be getting the most expensive model, too, not the least expensive like I did with my iPad 2.

I see the problem now. You're right that if it's locked with the PIN code, then that would be problematic.

Now that you mention it, I can actually see the argument for not locking an iPad.

If somebody steals or finds somebody's iPad, then you actually want them to get easy access to it! You want them to get online, so that you can easily track it or locate it. You can still remote wipe it later if you want and they won't have your Apple ID, so they can't buy or order anything on your card.

I have never used a lock code for my iPad, and after reading your story, I guess that I will continue to not use any lock code.

Well, good luck with your next iPad. At least all of the apps and stuff that was on your iPad is backed up, so it'll be real easy for you to be up and running in no time with your new iPad.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well, good luck with your next iPad. At least all of the apps and stuff that was on your iPad is backed up, so it'll be real easy for you to be up and running in no time with your new iPad.

I had to re-buy Angry Birds for my iPhone since they are not Univeraal despite being the exact same game play and setup as far as I can tell. I had 3 stars on every level on the iPad and I'm finding just finishing a level on the iPhone is difficult. I don't know how that game became so popular on smartphones.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I am curious on exactly how long with the media and investors will allow Amazon not to comment on the actual number of Kindle Fire (along with plain old Kindles) units sold.

One site I read mentioned 50,000 units were being sold each day. I would like to see actual sales numbers....
  • Reply 45 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

I am curious on exactly how long with the media and investors will allow Amazon not to comment on the actual number of Kindle Fire (along with plain old Kindles) units sold.

One site I read mentioned 50,000 units were being sold each day. I would like to see actual sales numbers....

Why? Are you an investor?
  • Reply 46 of 50
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Bingo! Amazon is counting on customers paying for content to bring in the profits. It has been well documented that Android users are mostly freetards who don't buy many apps or content. I'm predicting Amazon will lose its shirt over this. The Fire buyers will use it to find as much free content as possible. They'll have a cheap, halfway decent tablet and will load it up as much free stuff as they can without buying music, videos, or magazines from Amazon. The buyer will be happy but Amazon will lose money in the deal.

And Apple who has clients that are content and app happy are not doing insane prodits on itunes sales either. 95% of apple profits comes from hardware. So how is amazon is going to make $$ with that tablet?
  • Reply 47 of 50
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

According to AI, it's a tablet. IMO it's a reader.

Ah yes, the phrase "Marketing Myopia" comes to mind here.

It's like when the railroad barons pooh-poohed the nascent airline industry claiming they weren't competition, they (the barons) were in the *railroad* business. They'd forgotten they were really in the *transportation business*.

People can talk about readers, tablets, slates, whatever. It *all* competes for the same consumer's dollar.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    For those living near a Meijer store (there's 190 of 'em thru Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky) they're offering a special deal on Apple's iPad2, throwing in an $80 gift card with purchase. That effectively drops the price to $419 for the 16GB version, a good deal for those filling holiday gift lists.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My fault, so no need to feel sorry. I noticed they have a 1st gen with 32GB and 3G for $400 on their refurbished site. I might go ahead and do that.

FYI: AT&T still has a new 64GB with 3G for $479.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...id=HiQh1awGnHv
  • Reply 50 of 50
    straskstrask Posts: 107member
    Apple has held roughly 65% of the tablet market since Android tablets were introduced. This survey shows Apple's projected share remaining remarkably steady, meaning that all of the Fire's sales will likely be cannibalizing either other Android tablets or other Kindles. Meanwhile, the Kindle advertising campaign seems to have increased the market for tablets overall, so with Apple's share holding steady, this is actually more of a win for Apple. That last point is especially true since the Fire is unlikely to replace computers for anyone. By creating a market for tablets that doesn't directly compete with computers, Amazon is helping all computer makers, especially the only one to profit on selling them. (Apple, in case you missed my implication.)