Google's Android Market estimated to earn just 7% of what Apple's App Store makes

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Not one person that I know that use Android pays for their apps. Why should they? Google don't care. They just want to sell advertising.

Thats why there are apps/app stores like black-market that allow you to download every single Android app for free.

I personally understand piracy when companies price out their applications for ordinary users. But I don't understand people who pirate 1-10 dollar apps.

Apple App store have finally given us apps at an reasonable price. Don't pirate and support the developers. Its sad when iOS developers look at game center data and 90% of their apps are pirated.

Google however encourage piracy. Google search engine is the world largest warez tracker. Youtube content is largely pirated. Google have stolen Linux code (and lost court cases). I could list tens of more example of their culture. Its the "internet culture" there everything is free. Again: Google does not care. They only wants to data mine everything about every Android user to make more money on advertising. When Google have to pay 500 million dollar fines: That does not bother them. Its just a couple of % of one year profit. When a company is big, they can do anything. (Like MSFT/Intel also have done and payed billions in fines)

The open piracy of Android apps is one of the greatest selling point of Android. Root your phone and have every single app for free.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Not one person that I know that use Android pays for their apps. Why should they? Google don't care. They just want to sell advertising.

Thats why there are apps/app stores like black-market that allow you to download every single Android app for free.

I personally understand piracy when companies price out their applications for ordinary users. But I don't understand people who pirate 1-10 dollar apps.

Apple App store have finally given us apps at an reasonable price. Don't pirate and support the developers. Its sad when iOS developers look at game center data and 90% of their apps are pirated.

Google however encourage piracy. Google search engine is the world largest warez tracker. Youtube content is largely pirated. Google have stolen Linux code (and lost court cases). I could list tens of more example of their culture. Its the "internet culture" there everything is free. Again: Google does not care. They only wants to data mine everything about every Android user to make more money on advertising. When Google have to pay 500 million dollar fines: That does not bother them. Its just a couple of % of one year profit. When a company is big, they can do anything. (Like MSFT/Intel also have done and payed billions in fines)

The open piracy of Android apps is one of the greatest selling point of Android. Root your phone and have every single app for free.

That's not true for all users. Most Android buyers are not the ones you see on XDA. Don't people root and get Cydia? I swear I can google free paid iPhone apps and get plenty of pretty accessible sources.
  • Reply 63 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

So all the piracy is Google's fault? Lol.

Also where has Google lost any case regarding Linux code. Or any code for that matter.

You can't say 90% (ridiculous number) of iOS developers apps are pirated on game center and in the same post blame Google. That just makes NO sense.
  • Reply 64 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

By that reasoning Blackberry development should have simply stopped. Yet it hasn't.

BB has a savings grace not shared by Android. With Android, you have 80% of the number of iOS developers chasing after 7% of the profits.

With AppWorld, you have 5% of the developers of iOS chasing after 5% of the profits. It works.
  • Reply 65 of 80
    Quote:

Actually a higher percentage of Android phones are on the latest version compared to iPhone owners., 40% for iOS and 44% for Android.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396073,00.asp

http://developer.android.com/resourc...-versions.html

There is no way ICS has greater penetration than iOS 5.

I think you spend way too much time on Android Developer sites and have swallowed the Google koolaid straight up.
  • Reply 66 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

There is no way ICS has greater penetration than iOS 5.

I think you spend way too much time on Android Developer sites and have swallowed the Google koolaid straight up.

• Reply 67 of 80
    Quote:

Then that would make a great reason for you not to depend on app development for your income.

If you depend on app revenue for income, you simply cannot afford to develop for Android if you have several good ideas. The ROI for iOS is an order of magnitude greater than Android.
  • Reply 68 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

If you depend on app revenue for income, you simply cannot afford to develop for Android if you have several good ideas. The ROI for iOS is an order of magnitude greater than Android.

Yeah, but I'm going to need an Apple computer to develop. My onwy obstacle.
  • Reply 69 of 80
    Quote:

. . . and with the hard work already done, release it in the Android Market too and make some more.

Move on to a new idea and make 10X more with that idea on iOS.
  • Reply 70 of 80
    Quote:

And that has to do with what? The most recent iOS available to existing Android phones is Gingerbread. V4, Ice Cream Sandwich, has not yet been offered for existing Android smartphones. It's a Nexus exclusive at the moment.

Not what you wrote. You clearly implied (most recent version) ICS to iOS 5.0. You based your IOS 5 numbers off of 2 week old data (40% in 4 weeks? They might be at 55%-60% now?) and compared that to the dismal uptake of Gingerbread. 44% in 12 months.

You think that is a stellar achievement?
  • Reply 71 of 80
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Actually a higher percentage of Android phones are on the latest version compared to iPhone owners., 40% for iOS and 44% for Android.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2396073,00.asp

http://developer.android.com/resourc...-versions.html

It sounds as tho you should spend a bit of time in the Android Developers' Blog before writing off the platform. You appear to have some misconceptions, or at minimum some misunderstanding of what's involved and what resources Google offers you.

http://developer.android.com/index.html

When you add the indications that Android app downloads are now exceeding those on iOS, I think it would be remiss to ignore the Android Market.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...ios-smartphone

CORRECTED

1) You conveniently neglected to mention that ICS is the current version of Android not GINGERBREAD 2.3.3.

2) The 44% is based on only the number devices capable of running GINGERBREAD 2.3.3 to start with , which isn't all Android phones. iOS has been out less than a month and runs on the 3GS, 4, 4S, iPad, iPad2 and Touch 3rd and 4th generation. Add up the numbers and there are a lot more devices running the latest version of iOS than the GINGERBREAD 2.3.3 version of Android, no contest. ICS really isn't even in the game as a player yet.
  • Reply 72 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

1) You conveniently neglected to mention that ICS is the current version of Android not Honeycomb.

2) The 44% is based on only the number devices capable of running Honeycomb to start with , which isn't that many to begin with. iOS has been out less than a month and runs on the 3GS, 4, 4S, iPad, iPad2 and Touch 3rd and 4th generation. Add up the numbers and there are a lot more devices running the latest version of iOS than the Honeycomb version of Android, no contest. ICS really isn't even in the game as a player yet.

Honeycomb was never made available for smartphones. It was tablet-specific. Where you get the claim from your point #2 I have no idea.

As for Ice Cream Sandwich, it was finalized and introduced on the reference Nexus phone a few days ago, and is exclusive to that handset for the moment. The Nexus phones are meant to serve as build platform examples for the OEM's. That leaves 2.3.x, Gingerbread, as the latest available version for existing Android smartphones. OS updates for existing models to 4.x, Ice Cream Sandwich, are scheduled for the first quarter.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    Quote:

CORRECTED

1) You conveniently neglected to mention that ICS is the current version of Android not GINGERBREAD 2.3.3.

2) The 44% is based on only the number devices capable of running GINGERBREAD 2.3.3 to start with , which isn't all Android phones. iOS has been out less than a month and runs on the 3GS, 4, 4S, iPad, iPad2 and Touch 3rd and 4th generation. Add up the numbers and there are a lot more devices running the latest version of iOS than the GINGERBREAD 2.3.3 version of Android, no contest. ICS really isn't even in the game as a player yet.

Even after you corrected it, I don't know where you still get the idea that the 44% figure represents only those handsets that originally shipped with that OS. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're trying to get across.

As far as "adding up the numbers" no one has any idea how many of the Apple-claimed 250 million iOS devices they've claimed to have sold are actually active. Apple won't say. It could be 200 million, 160M, or maybe as low as 120M. Same with Android. No one knows how many devices are actually still in use on either platform, tho with Android's sales surge being very recent it's quite conceivable there are more Android devices currently being used than those on iOS. A big chunk of Apple's claimed units is in the iPod line. I personally know of several of those that haven't seen the light of day in quite some time, my son's included, along with those belonging to a couple of friends. They rely on their phones for music now.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    Quote:

As far as "adding up the numbers" no one has any idea how many of the Apple-claimed 250 million iOS devices they've claimed to have sold are actually active.

Look at how quickly iOS is increasing, all while iPod sales are decreasing. Pretty safe to say at least 150M are still in use, given that maybe puts us back to last summer's release of the iPhone 4. 150M would seem to be a pretty conservative figure.

160M iOS devices 4/20/11 http://www.unwiredview.com/2011/06/0...aded-and-more/

200M iOS Devices 6/6/11 http://www.macstories.net/news/over-...to-developers/

250M iOS devices 10/4/11 http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/04/250...-devices-sold/
  • Reply 75 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Look at how quickly iOS is increasing, all while iPod sales are decreasing. Pretty safe to say at least 150M are still in use. . .

Which is a figure that would make it very plausible there's at least as many Android devices in current use as there are iOS. The overwhelming majority of Android devices were activated in the past 18 months.

EDIT: Before someone makes the obligatory "yeah, but how many were SOLD" post, you can take a look at Gartner's numbers on 2010 results, posted in February this year, to get an idea how Android devices are really selling, not just shipping.

"In an unexpected turn, Android did better by Gartner's measure than other talliers' reckonings, and the numbers have more punch. Unlike other analyst firms, which measure shipments to carriers and dealers -- what's sometimes called "sales-in" -- Gartner measures "sales-out" to buyers. . .

That works out to an average 184,000 Android smartphones sold per day. By comparison, Apple sold an average 127,000 iOS smartphones a day, or 46.6 million for the year.
    "

Note that the big surge in Android handsets in underway this year, with several hundreds of thousands of Android handsets now likely selling, not just shipping, every day.
  • Reply 76 of 80
    Quote:

Even after you corrected it, I don't know where you still get the idea that the 44% figure represents only those handsets that originally shipped with that OS. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you're trying to get across.

As far as "adding up the numbers" no one has any idea how many of the Apple-claimed 250 million iOS devices they've claimed to have sold are actually active. Apple won't say. It could be 200 million, 160M, or maybe as low as 120M. Same with Android. No one knows how many devices are actually still in use on either platform, tho with Android's sales surge being very recent it's quite conceivable there are more Android devices currently being used than those on iOS. A big chunk of Apple's claimed units is in the iPod line. I personally know of several of those that haven't seen the light of day in quite some time, my son's included, along with those belonging to a couple of friends. They rely on their phones for music now.

I never said 44% of devices that shipped with Gingerbread 2.3.3. I assumed the article quoted / linked in the original post meant 44% of all Android devices that were capable of running 2.3.3 had been updated. We both know that not all Android phones could be updated to Gingerbread 2.3.3. Again another number we will never know. Gingerbread 2.3.3 was released in June and supposedly 44% have updated. iOS has been out for a shorter time and and is available for different generations of devices yet the adoption rate is close to Android yet you claim more Android devices are running the Android's Gingerbread 2.3.3. Wait a month and ICS number will be higher still as a percentage but the actual number will be less again because it won't even run on some phones sold in 2011 while iOS will run on 3GGS iPhones made in 2009.

The only iPod that runs iOS is the Touch. I know people who have abandoned their Android phones but I don't assume that most have. You know several people who you claim don't use their Touchs anymore, so you assume that most people don't. My son and daughter both have cell phones, one has an iPhone4 and my son wants a 4S, but both still use their iPod Touchs.

Android may still be surging but I have seen a recent article claiming that Apple has the top three best selling phones and another article claiming iPhones are #1, #2, #4 in sales volume.

If this article's headline is correct I'd rather be Apple.
  • Reply 77 of 80
    Quote:

I never said 44% of devices that shipped with Gingerbread 2.3.3. I assumed the article quoted / linked in the original post meant 44% of all Android devices that were capable of running 2.3.3 had been updated.

Gotcha now.

No, the stats shown on the developer's blog are a percentage of all Android phones visiting the Android Market, not a percentage of the phones that could have been updated.

No, I don't think most iPod Touch owners have abandoned them in a desk drawer, but it wouldn't be a surprise to find a significant percentage aren't being used anymore. Add in the original iPhones that no longer serve their purpose and I think it's likely quite a few of those Apple-claimed sales are no longer doing any work.
  • Reply 78 of 80
    Quote:

As for Ice Cream Sandwich, it was finalized and introduced on the reference Nexus phone a few days ago, and is exclusive to that handset for the moment. The Nexus phones are meant to serve as build platform examples for the OEM's. That leaves 2.3.x, Gingerbread, as the latest available version for existing Android smartphones. OS updates for existing models to 4.x, Ice Cream Sandwich, are scheduled for the first quarter.

So what? You specified most recent and that is not, at the time of your post, Gingerbread, it is ICS.

So what that ICS has just been available for a few days? iOS has been available for a hand full of weeks and you posted to stats over 2 weeks old.

You don't see glaring errors with your thought process? Comparing an adoption rate of iOS 5.0 after 3 weeks almost equaling the adoption rate of Gingerbread after 1 year?

Fragmentation issues on Android are so bad as to be laughable.
  • Reply 79 of 80
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by topgun966 View Post

As a developer for both iOS and Android apps, hate to say it I make MUCH more money on Android than Apple. My iOS app is paid (3.99) and my Android app is Free. But the Android version has ad's. I make a KILLING off the ad impressions. I tried having my app free with ad's on iOS and no one was downloading it. I guess Apple users have that feeling that if an app is free its garbage where as most apps on Android are free and its to be expected. Most Android users do not mind ad's here and there that fund the apps being developed. Plus, Apple doesn't pay me as much as Android does on a app for app basis.

There's significant friction for apps above $0.99 as near as I can tell. Not knowing what your app is perhaps $0.99 plus in app purchases might increase your iOS revenue. How much is a killing? And how many downloads?
  • Reply 80 of 80
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Of course you can steal an app, but do a significant number of owners really do?

If I'm ad based (and on Android I pretty much am) I don't much care if USERS steal apps. Devs taking your apk and decompiling it is a lot more annoying. There's more than a few that do this and resubmit pirated apps in various markets.

http://geeknizer.com/decompile-rever...r-android-apk/

I'm playing around with a Java game I've been writing off and on for a couple years. If I ever release it it's a good thing that I'm leaning toward open sourcing it anyway. Any java application out there can be decompiled very easily and obsfuscators only help so much.

Especially if all they want to do is file off the serial numbers and repackage it as theirs. This is also how trojans get built off of legit and popular apps hosted on other markets.

Meh. Fortunately, I'm an enterprise app developer (Android thus far) and comes under the heading of "Not My Problem". If I were a public app dev I'd likely do iOS first and if there's some bandwidth left for Android I'd take a look.

Shame that Unity won't be on WP7.