Apple expected to add NFC support for iOS e-wallet transactions in 2012

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is rumored to add support for near-field communications technology to iOS next year, potentially giving iPhone owners the ability to use their phone as an e-wallet for making transactions.

Smartphone makers out of Taiwan told DigiTimes on Tuesday that Apple currently plans to add NFC support to iOS in 2012, likely with the next iPhone model. That would help penetration of NFC expand from what is currently less than 10 percent of smartphones sold to more than 50 percent in the next two to three years.

Microsoft, too, is said to be planning NFC-enabled smartphones for launch in 2012 with its Windows Phone platform. The additional support would allow its partners to build hardware with NFC chips to take advantage of the software support.

NFC chips have been appearing in some smartphones throughout 2011, with hardware makers Samsung, HTC, Nokia and Research in Motion all building handsets with support. But sources reportedly said that "unsmooth development of NFC" is largely because of a lack of standard specification, ecosystem and commercial operation.

Google has attempted to overcome those hurdles with Google Wallet, its own mobile payment application for NFC-equipped Android smartphones. The service uses virtual cards, such as a Google Prepaid Card, to allow users to "tap to pay."

In an attempt to further address the lack of NFC standardization, the GSM Association has been pushing a SIM-based NFC protocol that has gained support from 45 carriers around the world, including AT&T and Verizon, the two largest wireless providers in the U.S.

"This affords a clear direction for handset vendors and developers of applications to move toward applications of NFC functions," the report said.

Claims of an NFC-enabled iPhone have persisted for years as the short-range wireless technology has begun to appear on the market. But those rumors gained some credibility this September when The New York Times reported that Apple plans to build a future iPhone with NFC chips from Qualcomm for mobile payment functionality.

Apple's interest in NFC technology has been well documented through the company's patent filings, with proposed inventions related to e-wallet and tag reader functionality. Another patent application proposed using passive radio-frequency identification to transmit information about hardware failures.

Beyond patents, evidence of Apple's interest in NFC technology has come in the form of job listings and even public comments from mobile executives. Reports of iPhone prototypes with RFID functionality date back to 2009.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I think Apple will use Bluetooth 4.0 to kill NFC.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

that would be unfortunate.

then again, wouldn't every phone support BT 4.0 soon?
  • Reply 3 of 37
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

that would be unfortunate.

Why do you think so? Wouldn't it be better to have this functionality based on a relatively free and open standard like Bluetooth rather than a closed, proprietary standard like NFC?
  • Reply 4 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) If Apple doesn't support NFC in 2012 we'll get another article they'll support it in 2013. At any rate, I think it's safe to say that we shouldn't expect it until the next 6th gen. iPhone, not with the 3rd gen. iPad.

2) iTS has been quite successful and seemingly secure over the years. I wonder if Apple will leverage these 400(?) million account holders with CCs on file to pass transactions. Besides serving as a way to data mine where and when customers spend their money they might be able to snake a small percentage off the top for themselves. With some US banks wanting to charge per usage fees for every debit transaction Apple could once again find themselves in a position to profit from an overreaching industry.

Quote:

NFC and BT aren't competitors. NFC has unique capabilities that make it secure for use for transaction. Even though you can encrypt a signal over BT you really don't want your account info being sent out 50 meters.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Good! It will quickly become the most used feature on the iPhone...may even surpass the number of phone calls.

I was just thinking last night what are my most used apps....calls, texts, checking email, online banking, camera, listening to podcasts, notes, tom-tom gps and redalaser...

Best
  • Reply 6 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Why do you think so? Wouldn't it be better to have this functionality based on a relatively free and open standard like Bluetooth rather than a closed, proprietary standard like NFC?

This is a good write up on NFC. Fairly technical but also very straightforward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good! It will quickly become the most used feature on the iPhone...may even surpass the number of phone calls.

I was just thinking last night what are my most used apps....calls, texts, checking email, online banking, camera, listening to podcasts, notes, tom-tom gps and redalaser...

Best

Off Topic: Have you tried TomTom on the iPad since it went Universal?
  • Reply 7 of 37
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

They should just Ban it instead.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    Pretty sure I recall seeing headlines in 2010 that Apple would add NFC in 2011. So this has become one of those vaporware technologies I'll believe when I see it. \
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Pretty sure I recall seeing headlines in 2010 that Apple would add NFC in 2011. So this has become one of those vaporware technologies I'll believe when I see it. \

Pretty sure I recall seeing headlines in 2006 that Apple would release a television set.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    This article is a reprint from last Fall, isn't it?
  • Reply 11 of 37
    I just can't see Apple hatching an egg without the chicken (or having a chicken that lays no egg?).

The receiving part of the NFC transaction is virtually non-existent in this country. I doubt Apple would insert an NFC chip in their phones without it being functional out of the gate.

Maybe Apple will manufacture a terminal that they will give to retailers for free, enabling customers to pay for their transactions using their iTunes account? They've already bypassed the cellular companies with iMessage; now they can do the same to the credit card companies.

I envision a terminal a quarter the size of the Apple TV, plugs into the phone line, like current VeriFone terminals (with two RJ-45 jacks so that it can be hooked up serially--no need for a separate phone line, nor does it kick out the VeriFone terminal), with an amber/green/red light indicating hardware issue/good transaction/declined transaction.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    The sight, Appleinsider, is devalued because of these stupid rumors and wild speculations, which are presented as expectations. All sorts of anger and disappointment was excited over the announcement if the iPhone 4s because of these stupid rumors. I frequently return to this site for tech news which is apple centric. These stupid rumors discourage this return. Almost as bad as the STUPID ADS in the lower left corner!

No, the stupid rumors are worse!

• Reply 13 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

They should just Ban it instead.

Let me guess. Because RFID is the work of the devil?
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

The sight, Appleinsider, is devalued because of these stupid rumors and wild speculations, which are presented as expectations. All sorts of anger and disappointment was excited over the announcement if the iPhone 4s because of these stupid rumors. I frequently return to this site for tech news which is apple centric. These stupid rumors discourage this return. Almost as bad as the STUPID ADS in the lower left corner!

No, the stupid rumors are worse!

It's a rumours site...
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:

The sight, Appleinsider, is devalued because of these stupid rumors and wild speculations, which are presented as expectations.

You're right. We should rename the site to be something more accurate.

Something like: " "

So www. .com, then. And we're on forums. .com right now.

• Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I just can't see Apple hatching an egg without the chicken (or having a chicken that lays no egg?).

The receiving part of the NFC transaction is virtually non-existent in this country. I doubt Apple would insert an NFC chip in their phones without it being functional out of the gate.

Maybe Apple will manufacture a terminal that they will give to retailers for free, enabling customers to pay for their transactions using their iTunes account? They've already bypassed the cellular companies with iMessage; now they can do the same to the credit card companies.

This is what I've been thinking for the past year or two. What Apple should do is combine the NFC capability with their cash hoard and start a retail bank, bypassing the banks entirely and maybe the VISA/MC/AMEX as well. I don't know of any other company that has the combination of enough cash to start a large retail bank, 400 million customers and their payment information, and incredible degree of trust.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

It's a rumours site...

Rumors shouldn't be presented as expectations, and hyped at that. Stirring up expectations over something vaporous and uncertain only leads to confusion. This degrades the site.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:

Rumors shouldn't be presented as expectations, and hyped at that.

So? I take it you're new to Apple. You've not visited an Apple rumor site? EVER? before, huh?
  • Reply 19 of 37
    What fanboys go wild....the same ones that were saying it were a failure with the Nexus.

On another note, however, this will be great as the Nexus wasn't exactly wide spread like the iPhone. This will be great!
  • Reply 20 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

This is what I've been thinking for the past year or two. What Apple should do is combine the NFC capability with their cash hoard and start a retail bank, bypassing the banks entirely and maybe the VISA/MC/AMEX as well. I don't know of any other company that has the combination of enough cash to start a large retail bank, 400 million customers and their payment information, and incredible degree of trust.

Walmart tried establishing a banking arm for several years. The US Government didn't see see eye to eye with their plans, and they've since given up on the idea. Apple wouldn't get the OK either IMHO.

But just as Walmart has made other plans, bypassing banking authorities, Apple might be able to design a way too that makes sense from a business perspective.