Microsoft to follow Apple's Lion lead with digital delivery of Windows 8

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Much like Apple did with the release of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion in July, Microsoft plans to make the simplest and easiest method of installing Windows 8 a download over the Internet.

Web delivery is one way that Microsoft is hoping to speed up and simplify the installation process with its forthcoming operating system release. In a post to the company's official blog this week, Steven Sinofsky, president of Microsoft's Windows Division, detailed the setup experience users will see with Windows 8.

Sinofsky explained that Microsoft aims to satisfy two distinct types of customers in the install process: those who want to install with minimum hassle, and those who want to do a clean install with more options, control and customization. Microsoft's simpler solution will allow users to simply launch a file that can be delivered via the Web, not unlike Apple's Lion, which is available for purchase and install through the Mac App Store.

"In the past, if you wanted to buy an upgrade for Windows, it involved purchasing a boxed product from a retail outlet, taking it home, (sometimes being infuriated while trying to open the box,) and inserting a DVD," Sinofsky explained. "However, buying boxed software is quickly becoming the exception rather than the rule, with more and more software being purchased online as broadband penetration increases and large-size media downloads become more common.

"While we will continue to offer boxed DVDs, we are also making it easier than ever to purchase and install online. This includes starting the setup experience online as well, and having one continuous integrated experience from beginning to end."

Microsoft's Web setup will allow the company to "pre-key" the setup image that is downloaded to a unique user. This means users won't need to enter the 25-digit product key that is currently necessary to install existing versions of Windows.

Sinofsky stopped short of saying that the Web install method will be the preferred way for users to install Windows 8, though the simplified process will likely make it ideal for most users. Through one application, Microsoft will scan a user's system for compatibility, download Windows 8, and then install the operating system.

Apple has made it clear that the Mac App Store is the preferred way for users to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, though the company has made Lion also available on a USB thumb drive. But while Lion costs $29.99 on the Mac App Store, its $69 price tag when bought on a USB drive is more than double the price of the digital download.

Of course, Microsoft's digital delivery method for Windows 8 is very different from Apple's approach, in that Microsoft does not have a centralized software storefront akin to Apple's Mac App Store. Users will have to load the dedicated Windows 8 Setup application to make the upgrade on their system, while the Mac App Store is available on all up-to-date systems running Apple's previous-generation operating system, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Beyond digital delivery, Microsoft has made a number of other changes to help simplify and speed up the Windows 8 install process. Through a number of modifications to the upgrade engine, Microsoft says it has reduced a clean install time from 32 minutes for Windows 7 to 21 minutes with Windows 8.

The greatest improvement will be seen for power users who complete a "super upgrade," which, in Microsoft's tests, includes 1.44 million files and 120 installed applications. While a Windows 7 upgrade under that scenario would have taken 513 minutes, Windows 8's advertised upgrade time is just 52 minutes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    "Microsoft to follow Apple's lead" is a much nicer title than I would have given this.

And doesn't this mean that absolutely no one will be updating Windows? People are used to going to the store, having seven options, not understanding any of them, not understanding them after the store employee explains them, and then buying and installing the wrong thing.

You can't mess with that system! It's a tried and true system!

Oh, hey, does this mean Microsoft will have to create an update to Windows 7 that includes a new application? The "Win App Store"?
  • Reply 2 of 127
    Redmond start your photocopiers
  • Reply 3 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Redmond start your photocopiers

I miss Bertrand Serlet.
  • Reply 4 of 127
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    This will probably stop the complaints* that Lion is too expensive, when the Windows download version costs more than the OS X thumbdrive version!

* Kidding!
  • Reply 5 of 127
    Which to download?

Windows 8 business edition

Windows 8 personal edition

Windows 8 executive edition

Windows 8 super secret edition

Windows 8 semi-personal, but mostly business edition

Windows 8 a little bit of business, but somewhat personal edition

Check, got it. Little bit of business, but somewhat personal.

Commence download... Wait 3 hours... Wait 2 more hours for security patches on a brand new os? (wtf!)... Wait 45 more minutes to configure and 50 restarts

Reboot final time, wait for screen to load, click on my computer... BSOD. I love windoze.
  • Reply 6 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Which to download?

Commence download... Wait 3 hours... Wait 2 more hours for security patches on a brand new os? (wtf!)... Wait 45 more minutes to configure and 50 restarts

Reboot final time, wait for screen to load, click on my computer... BSOD. I love windoze.

That's stretching the truth a bit too thin.

Practically speaking, there are only two versions of Windows worth caring about, Home Premium and Professional, and 99% of people only need Home Premium. If your computer came with Windows 7 Professional, you can only upgrade to Windows 8 Professional so you don't loose features.
  • Reply 7 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Microsoft to follow Apple's lead" is a much nicer title than I would have given this.

And doesn't this mean that absolutely no one will be updating Windows? People are used to going to the store, having seven options, not understanding any of them, not understanding them after the store employee explains them, and then buying and installing the wrong thing.

You can't mess with that system! It's a tried and true system!

Oh, hey, does this mean Microsoft will have to create an update to Windows 7 that includes a new application? The "Win App Store"?

There are never more than three options of Windows to buy.
  • Reply 8 of 127
    Is Redmond going to also copy the price points of Apples operating systems sold on the Mac App Store? I doubt it lol.
  • Reply 9 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Is Redmond going to also copy the price points of Apples operating systems sold on the Mac App Store? I doubt it lol.

Is Apple going to copy the hardware prices of Window based machines?
  • Reply 10 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

True. The sliding window, the fixed window and the bifold window
  • Reply 11 of 127
    Monkey see. Monkey do.
  • Reply 12 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Which to download?

It's always been stupid Microsoft have offered 10+ versions of one OS. Also if you get professional, it bugs you to buy Ultimate? Huh

Also, Lion was £29, Windows 8 is £150+, people aint gonna be as willing.

Also Windows 8 includes what, a tablet UI made for kittens?? If you want to upgrade just for that when you don't even have a touchscreen.
  • Reply 13 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Windows 7 and Vista: Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate

Oh, sorry, six. You probably wouldn't let me count the "N" edition. What about the 32-bit and 64-bit versions? I'd count those. So twelve.
  • Reply 14 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

Is Apple going to copy the hardware prices of Window based machines?

The cost addon when you consider on a Mac, don't need AV (be sensible), and OS upgrades are cheap.

Windows: Buy/Download AV, pay £150 for updates that Microsoft purposely not include in Windows 7, and pay for it to be repaired when the HW breaks
  • Reply 15 of 127
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:

Windows 7 and Vista: Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate

Oh, sorry, six. You probably wouldn't let me count the "N" edition. What about the 32-bit and 64-bit versions? I'd count those. So twelve.

I think he?s talking about retail versions. There are only 3 versions (Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate). The other versions are not available generally outside of OEM channels.
  • Reply 16 of 127
    Maybe it's the bundling that MS seems to do that pushes the number of options up. Or the fact that they have to keep offering just about all their older systems as well that complicates matters. And didn't they also offer separate 32bit and 64bit versions of each?

I like the fact that they are trying to implement change and offer an easier system and user experience - but I've witnessed it first hand that one of the biggest issues they have in getting Windows users to update is the users themselves. It's at least part of the essence of difference between Mac and PC - the PC user wants things to stay the way they are, fix whatever is broken, but don't change anything, even if it makes things better.

My colleague just switched from an ancient HP laptop to a 13" mba. All his files got swapped, emails set up and we even got him backing up to a time machine. Very simple process. He's now complaining that he "can't find his files" because they're not cluttering up his desktop the way he used to have them. He quite literally had ZERO file system for his work (which included several billion $ worth of IP) and now that it's saved in a system that makes sense and is easier to navigate, find, and use, he is ready to go back to the way things were.

This, in my opinion, is the reason why MS has kept a strong-hold on their user base. It's not that their system is better - it's that the user resists change. It drives me crazy when people are like that, but that is how the majority of people are. I say, let the aging population keep doing what they're doing and then go away. There will be a wholesale change at some point in the future as the user base stops being those people unwilling to change - I hope.
  • Reply 17 of 127
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft's Web setup will allow the company to "pre-key" the setup image that is downloaded to a unique user. This means users won't need to enter the 25-digit product key that is currently necessary to install existing versions of Windows.

This is the best news in the whole story. I am SOOOOOO sick of having to enter Microsoft's 25 digit code every time I install a Microsoft product.
  • Reply 17 of 127
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    1.44 million files. That is some serious bloat.

How many does Lion have?
  • Reply 19 of 127
    Quote:

Plus the ARM versions too!
  • Reply 20 of 127
    This will either reduce the traffic to the MS stores or greatly increase it as people go in looking for help with a failed upgrade. I can't wait to see how this turns out.