Microsoft to follow Apple's Lion lead with digital delivery of Windows 8

Comments

• Reply 81 of 127
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Yeah. They all appear in a grid which moves around when you change the location of any other icon. And they all look so similar to each other that you need to read the label, obviating the need for an icon in the first place.

Other app launchers work better.

While it would be nice to have an option, I don't think it's an issue. You get used to the grid/page and don't really mind the icon or text after you're familiar with your device. Even if Apple supplied many high quality icons to choose from it might still look cheap. Even the default Mac OS user icons are cheap looking.

PS: With ICS Android finally has drag-and-drop and icon onto another to create a folder. I can't but think if that happened the other way around there would a dozen new posters on this forum signing up just to point out how Apple copied Google.

PPS: I also imagine if a volume rocker issue existed on the iPhone that it would cause a worldwide panic and would be front page news about how the greedy Apple rushed another product to market.
  • Reply 82 of 127
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While it would be nice to have an option, I don't think it's an issue. You get used to the grid/page and don't really mind the icon or text after you're familiar with your device. Even if Apple supplied many high quality icons to choose from it might still look cheap. Even the default Mac OS user icons are cheap looking.

You should at least be able to color folders like labels in OS X. Once you own your device you can make it look as gaudy and hideously ugly as you want with web clippings as icons and day glow pink sequin encrusted cases. I agree with Conman this time, it is too difficult to find the folder you want based on visual cues.
  • Reply 83 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You should at least be able to color folders like labels in OS X. Once you own your device you can make it look as gaudy and hideously ugly as you want with web clippings as icons and day glow pink sequin encrusted cases. I agree with Conman this time, it is too difficult to find the folder you want based on visual cues.

Good argument. I concede.
  • Reply 84 of 127
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

You get used to it and you don't mind. But given that it is the basic UI of the device, that is a big compromise to some.

Quote:

PS: With ICS Android finally has drag-and-drop and icon onto another to create a folder. I can't but think if that happened the other way around there would a dozen new posters on this forum signing up just to point out how Apple copied Google.

PPS: I also imagine if a volume rocker issue existed on the iPhone that it would cause a worldwide panic and would be front page news about how the greedy Apple rushed another product to market.

This "we Apple users are so oppressed" stuff is often funny. Indeed, it is increasingly funny now that Apple is the brand of the unwashed masses. It is also ironic that you should use such a rhetorical device in a post where you are apologizing for Apple making their flagship devices appealing to such people.

Yes, anyone can get used to an undifferentiated grid of same-sized icons, even somebody who longs for a better setup.

But also yes: That format is chosen to make the target audience comfortable.
  • Reply 85 of 127
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

I hate the burst your bubble but Microsoft had this option when Windows 7 came out...BEFORE...Lion.

Notice the download option on the right...

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/..._PID_235488300

Complete instructions on how to do it....with OUT a DVD drive...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...load-windows-7

It's important to keep in mind that the App Store approach to downloading application and OS software is an integrated approach (information, selection, billing, delivery), whereas the MS download approach is piecemeal at best. Recall that when Win 7 came out, there was an option for educators and students to download the upgrade. It went something like this:

1. Go to the MS site and enter your academic credentials. Typically requiring a .edu e-mail address. Or go to another web site for information on mailing a copy of your current class enrollment schedule.

2. Wait to receive an e-mail or hard copy of the URL to purchase the upgrade.

3. Go the the dowload URL and select either the Home or Professional version. Then select either the 32 or 64 bit version (where applicable).

4. Go to the next web site where you can enter your billing information.

5. Wait to receive an e-mail containing the appropriate download link. E-mail also contains the MS serial number.

6. Download the 3-4 Gb file.

While this cumbersome and convoluted process did eventually deliver an OS upgrade download, it's hardly an Apple-type Store. More like MS cludging bits and pieces together to make it APPEAR to be something new and different.
  • Reply 86 of 127
    Quote:

it might still look cheap.

• Reply 87 of 127
    Quote:

• Reply 88 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What have you done to my product? [IMG]

She really wanted a Zune instead.
  • Reply 89 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

It's important to keep in mind that the App Store approach to downloading application and OS software is an integrated approach (information, selection, billing, delivery), whereas the MS download approach is piecemeal at best. Recall that when Win 7 came out, there was an option for educators and students to download the upgrade. It went something like this:

1. Go to the MS site and enter your academic credentials. Typically requiring a .edu e-mail address. Or go to another web site for information on mailing a copy of your current class enrollment schedule.

2. Wait to receive an e-mail or hard copy of the URL to purchase the upgrade.

3. Go the the dowload URL and select either the Home or Professional version. Then select either the 32 or 64 bit version (where applicable).

4. Go to the next web site where you can enter your billing information.

5. Wait to receive an e-mail containing the appropriate download link. E-mail also contains the MS serial number.

6. Download the 3-4 Gb file.

While this cumbersome and convoluted process did eventually deliver an OS upgrade download, it's hardly an Apple-type Store. More like MS cludging bits and pieces together to make it APPEAR to be something new and different.

MS is even more ridiculous than that. Several years ago, when I first signed up for TechNET, I went online and made my purchase, for the online-only option. NO physical media, everything done through their website. What did they tell me after they took my money and verified payment? That I would receive my login credentials within a week through snail mail! I quickly emailed them to see if there was a way to get my credentials immediately, and was told that there was not. And my one year subscription started the day of purchase, not the day a week later, when I actually got to use it, so they robbed me of a week's usage. Not only that, but I made my purchase on the last day of March that year, and they told me it would expire the last day of February the next year, thereby robbing me of almost another month. I raised holy hell about that one, and they pushed my renewal date to the end of March, but I can't believe they seem unable to give you a year from the actual day you purchase, preferring to go only to end of month. Gotta love it!
  • Reply 90 of 127
    Quote:

She really wanted a Zune instead.

Isn't that just the perfect expression? Tilted head, slightly furrowed eyebrows, and just a hint of a smile.

And I see you still have Installer installed.

That's some serious "ohl-schul", son. Back in the iPhone OS 2.0 days.
  • Reply 91 of 127
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Mock Turtleneck View Post

But Windows 7 was already offered as a digital download right from the start. I remember getting free copies of both 32 bits and 64 bits version of Windows 7 Professional off the MSDN Academic Alliance website years ago. And the installation process sure had improved over the previous versions. Can't wait to see if the stuffs they claim for Windows 8 are true.

From the article's first line. It was even in bold:

"Much like Apple did with the release of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion in July, Microsoft plans to make the simplest and easiest method of installing Windows 8 a download over the Internet."

Note that while Win7 was available as a download, you had to download and burn an ISO didn't you? They're following Apple's lead which makes the new upgrade a simple purchase and download from the app store (which they are also adding in Win 8) and then you run it. That is a HUGE change from past OS releases.
  • Reply 92 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is the best news in the whole story. I am SOOOOOO sick of having to enter Microsoft's 25 digit code every time I install a Microsoft product.

And to prove you copy is genuine after any major hardware upgrade.
  • Reply 93 of 127
    Quote:

<Jonny Ive pic/>

LOL. Got any more of those?
  • Reply 94 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

LOL. Got any more of those?

Oh, I'm sure I can come up with some when the situation arises.
  • Reply 95 of 127
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Microsoft ... as thick as a whale omelet. Wonder how many Corps will move from XP to Windows 8?
  • Reply 96 of 127
    Quote:

At least the icon theme seems to be untouched.
  • Reply 97 of 127
    And how about the 'uninstall'...?
  • Reply 98 of 127
    Quote:

What have you done to my product?

• Reply 99 of 127
    Quote:

At least the icon theme seems to be untouched.

• Reply 100 of 127
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Just a guess here, but it seems like Microsoft's move to deliver their OS digitally opens them up to some malware problems.

A hacker could sneak their malware into this digital download process, maybe mid-stream or through phishing scams. Both of which are potential new problems with delivering them over the internet.

I suppose Apple faces the same problems too, but less so because their system is a bit more closed.