Apple expected to add NFC support for iOS e-wallet transactions in 2012

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're right. We should rename the site to be something more accurate.

Something like: " "

So www. .com, then. And we're on forums. .com right now.

Nothing wrong with the name of the site. Insiders know something. They don't blow smoke. Appleinsider should stop blowing smoke, and present rumors without expectations.

Just sayin....
  • Reply 22 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

What fanboys go wild....the same ones that were saying it were a failure with the Nexus.

You mean the Nexus that was released with NFC HW but neither the SW nor services infrastructure to make it useful out of the box? That Nexus?
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You mean the Nexus that was released with NFC HW but neither the SW nor services infrastructure to make it useful out of the box? That Nexus?

Google gave me $10 bucks to try it out and put some gas in my car via 7-Eleven. Not sure what you're talking about.

It was a pretty easy process.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:

Google gave me $10 bucks to try it out and put some gas in my car via 7-Eleven. Not sure what you're talking about.

It was a pretty easy process.

Let me refresh you of the timeline you've conveniently rewritten.
    • December 16, 2010 ? Nexus S is released on T-Mobile USA.

• May 26, 2011 ? Google Wallet NFC app finally gets demoed.

• September 19, 2011 ?*Google Wallet NGC app finally gets released.

We're talking 10 months after the Nexus S had been on the market. But that's not all folks? Google then only releases the app for the Nexus S 4G for Sprint that came out in May 2011, yet you claim to know nothing about the useless NFC int he Nexus S.

You still want to claim that the NFC wasn't a failure with the Nexus S? You still want to imply some myopic bias that Apple adding NFC would just be a me-too feature that will be just as useless out of the box as the Nexus S? Go right ahead, that'll be your little secret.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:

Let me refresh you of the timeline you've conveniently rewritten.
    • December 16, 2010 — Nexus S is released on T-Mobile USA.

• May 26, 2011 — Google Wallet NFC app finally gets demoed.

• September 19, 2011 —*Google Wallet NGC app finally gets released.

We're talking 10 months after the Nexus S had been on the market. But that's not all folks… Google then only releases the app for the Nexus S 4G for Sprint that came out in May 2011, yet you claim to know nothing about the useless NFC int he Nexus S.

You still want to claim that the NFC wasn't a failure with the Nexus S? You still want to imply some myopic bias that Apple adding NFC would just be a me-too feature that will be just as useless out of the box as the Nexus S? Go right ahead, that'll be your little secret.

You said useful out ot the box. I took it out of the box and set it up. Used it that day. Out of the box is relative. It's not useless if I've used it. Apprently you haven't had hands on experience to use it.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Maybe Apple will manufacture a terminal that they will give to retailers for free, enabling customers to pay for their transactions using their iTunes account? They've already bypassed the cellular companies with iMessage; now they can do the same to the credit card companies.

I posted exactly same idea the first time this rumour was discussed. I don't think apple has the leverage to cut the card companies out of the picture entirely. After all the iTunes accounts are linked to credit cards in the first place. Apple can't allow you make purchases using gift card credit because those regularly sell for as much as 33% off the face value. Imagine the chaos if people realise it only costs $40 worth of iTunes credit to purchase $60 worth of iTunes credit at a store. The real value in this industry is the network infrastructure laid down by Visa/MasterCard that enables it to function independently of the internet. Unless they aim to charge customers extra for using the service the best Apple can hope for is to partner exclusively with one of the major two in exchange for a thin slice of the transaction.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    NFC doesn't really wow me, and seems like more of a security risk then anything. I'd probably turn it off if my phone supported it.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

NFC doesn't really wow me, and seems like more of a security risk then anything. I'd probably turn it off if my phone supported it.

I can understand the reservation about security of digital technology, especially a wireless one, but in many ways it's more secure than a plastic card with printed numbers.

For example, let's say someone swipes your phone and wallet at the gym. Your card numbers are compromised right away. They don't even have to go as far as to steal the card to get access to data on the card, sometimes cloning the card without your knowledge. Now if you had your cards on your phone they'd have to get past your phone's primary PIN and the one for the payment (assuming that is setup). That would take longer and in that time you might be able to locate and/or wipe the device, something you can't do with plastic cards.

With NFC it's only enabled when you enable it, the data can encrypted so it's not human readable, and a thief with a snooping device would have be quite clever to get access to such a short loop of the field. This has the potential to protect against the in-house crimes where you willingly give your card to a person to swipe.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Unless they aim to charge customers extra for using the service the best Apple can hope for is to partner exclusively with one of the major two in exchange for a thin slice of the transaction.

it's a bit late to partner exclusively with either VISA or Mastercard as they've already partnered with Google Wallet. AMEX and Discover have yet to agree, so an exclusive with either of those might be possible.

EDIT: I stand corrected apparently. Looks like Amex and discover are on board with Google too.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

it's a bit late to partner exclusively with either VISA or Mastercard as they've already partnered with Google Wallet. AMEX and Discover have yet to agree, so an exclusive with either of those might be possible.

I didn't think VISA and MC's licences were exclusive to Google Wallet.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

I didn't think VISA and MC's licences were exclusive to Google Wallet.

They're not AFAIK. The OP suggested an Apple exclusive with one of them, which wouldn't be possible since there's an agreement in place with Google.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

Rumors shouldn't be presented as expectations, and hyped at that. Stirring up expectations over something vaporous and uncertain only leads to confusion. This degrades the site.

I don't see how it is anything besides a rumor. The report says nothing to the effect of "dudz! Apple is going to do NFC. It will totally rock! The countdown starts now!!". How is it hyping?
  • Reply 33 of 37
    I feel like I heard this all before.... like a year ago.

"Trust me guys, the iPhone 4s will have a 4 inch screen, 4G, an aluminum back, wireless charging and syncing, and it will be 1cm thick!"

After the 4s launch I'm staying away from rumors.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

They're not AFAIK. The OP suggested an Apple exclusive with one of them, which wouldn't be possible since there's an agreement in place with Google.

You misunderstand. Any exclusive arrangement would be with MasterCard at the exclusion of Visa (or vice versa) rather than the exclusion of Google. Apple brings a captive market to the table. The advantage for the card partner is that all payments from that captive market go through them rather than their competitor.

Visa/MasterCard would gain no benefit from signing any agreement with Google or Apple that would limit their own share of NFC transactions to a single market. But they might jump at the oppurtunity to sign an agreement that would limit their competitor's market.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

You said useful out ot the box. I took it out of the box and set it up. Used it that day. Out of the box is relative. It's not useless if I've used it. Apprently you haven't had hands on experience to use it.

What else have you used it for? Just curious.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

What else have you used it for? Just curious.

GAS is just it. The problem would be most stores don't have NFC (though my jobs' lunch room has nfc equipped coke/vending machines).

Plus, I have a VISA, and that support hasn't been added yet. I don't know why Google has a hard time releasing a solid product instead of BETA. I'm upset with Apple virutally having Siri in beta too, but NFC shoulda waited longer.

NFC is EASIER than a debit card for me.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

It's pretty safe. I mean, you drop your debit card, someone can CHARGE IT CHARGE IT CHARGE IT. With NFC phones, at least the Nexus, you have to enter your PIN number for it to be enabled and automatically locks after like a minute.