New e-book recounts Steve Jobs e-mails to Apple customers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Long known for engaging in personal correspondence with customers, Apple co-founder Steve Jobs and his concise e-mails are the subject of a new e-book.

"Letters to Steve: Inside the E-mail Inbox of Apple's Steve Jobs" is the first book by author Mark Milian, who covers consumer technology for CNN. He was previously a staff writer for the Los Angeles Times. The title is available for $2.99 on the Amazon Kindle platform.

For the 67-page book, Milian reviewed more than 100 e-mails allegedly sent by Jobs, including some never-before-published notes that were shared exclusively for the new title. It also features interviews with some of the customers and fans that Jobs communicated with.

"Over the years, people discovered the e-mail address of Jobs and took to regularly sending him messages," the official synopsis reads. "That he often responded was as unusual as his leadership style and his processes for crafting hit products."

Among the conversations included are exchanges between Jobs and Brian Lam, former editor of Gizmodo. While the two had a friendly relationship at first, with Jobs even providing his thoughts on an early redesign of the website, the relationship quickly turned sour when the publication obtained a prototype of the iPhone 4 before it was announced.

The book even features details from an e-mail Jobs sent that was provided to AppleInsider in March of 2010. Jobs provided one customer details on what retail locations would sell the first-generation iPad at launch.

When he was in charge of Apple, Jobs's e-mails were an occasional source of news from the typically secretive company. For example, one note sent by Jobs a year ago revealed that "hardly anyone" was buying Apple's Xserve line of rackmounted servers, which prompted the company to discontinue the hardware.

Though Jobs died in October after a long bout with cancer, his tradition of responding to e-mails has been carried on thus far by Chief Executive Tim Cook. The book includes a few exchanges Cook has had with customers since he took over Apple in August.

Customers also paid tribute to Jobs after his death by sending e-mails to a special account Apple set up, [email protected]. Personal stories and messages that were sent can be viewed at Apple's official tribute site, apple.com/stevejobs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Kindle.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    The man is dead, let him go already.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    To that, you can add the email that Steve Jobs sent to the MacMatte matte-screen petition website:

See the screenshot here.

http://macmatte.wordpress.com

And, whilst you're at it, if you like matte screens, please leave a petition.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    How can anything about Steve Jobs be available only on the Kindle platform. After all this is an Apple exclusive publication about the man Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    He answered my emails twice, but I never shared them.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

100 emails? The book could be upwards of 150 words long!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Kindle.

Kindle books work great on iPad and iPhone. I’m reading one now!

I do prefer iBooks (better UI) but Kindle is close. (And there’s no reason this book has to stay Kindle exclusive, even if that’s where it launches first.)

• Reply 7 of 21
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

To that, you can add the email that Steve Jobs sent to the MacMatte matte-screen petition website:

See the screenshot here.

http://macmatte.wordpress.com

And, whilst you're at it, if you like matte screens, please leave a petition.

Zagg shields cause a semi matt look. I have a zagg shield on my iPhone 4 and iPad. I don't have a glare problem.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    One little tidbit that stands out: "allegedly sent by Jobs". There's really no proof the emails weren't sent by some assistant.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by delete View Post

One little tidbit that stands out: "allegedly sent by Jobs". There's really no proof the emails weren't sent by some assistant.

He himself has said that he answers e-mails. I'd imagine that at least three quarters of those included in the book would be directly from him.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Go on, share!
  • Reply 11 of 21
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

That presents an insanely great opportunity to self-publish on Amazon! You could become a Milian-aire!
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Probably the shortest book in history...

Chapter 1

Steve Replies To My Complaint Of No Headless Mac

Steve: "Nope."
  • Reply 13 of 21
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I was so enraged around the time that the iPad 2 was released and I sent him a polite email complaining about Chinese scalpers who were infesting Apple stores. That was the only email that I ever sent him. I never did get any reply from that mail. I wasn't expecting one either.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

He himself has said that he answers e-mails. I'd imagine that at least three quarters of those included in the book would be directly from him.

Even then at 25% that's a lot of responses he might not have written. Wonder which ones.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I was so enraged around the time that the iPad 2 was released and I sent him a polite email complaining about Chinese scalpers who were infesting Apple stores. That was the only email that I ever sent him. I never did get any reply from that mail. I wasn't expecting one either.

OK you post about the complaint email you sent to SJ that he was smart enough to ignore. 'If it makes you feel better telling everybody how Steve ignored your email great but other than you who cares?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

OK you post about the complaint email you sent to SJ that he was smart enough to ignore. 'If it makes you feel better telling everybody how Steve ignored your email great but other than you who cares?

I post primarily for my own satisfaction, as most people do.

I come across many posts every day that I don't care about, that's the nature of the internet. Unlike you, I'm not going to bother to waste my time and make a post about a post that I don't care about, to tell that poster that I don't care about their post. I'd be a pretty busy person if I did that with every post that I came across that I don't care about.

So in conclusion, besides you, who cares about your post that is complaining about my post?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    "Over the years, people discovered the e-mail address of Jobs"

I always thought that SJ or Apple actually gave out his email address, it wasn't like some state secret or anything. Anyway, this book is what I call "steveploitation" -- during his lifetime he would probably have sued this author and said "over my dead body" and that is exactly what is happening.

Bad taste and Greed know no boundaries.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Kindle.

Apple may have said, "No thanks" to this exploitation piece.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    I advised him, in about 2004-5, to buy Skype for the video calling and the wider compatibility.

He didn't answer, and he didn't admit I was right.

Way to go, Apple!

: )

Of course, that was way before FaceTime.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I post primarily for my own satisfaction, as most people do.

I come across many posts every day that I don't care about, that's the nature of the internet. Unlike you, I'm not going to bother to waste my time and make a post about a post that I don't care about, to tell that poster that I don't care about their post. I'd be a pretty busy person if I did that with every post that I came across that I don't care about.

So in conclusion, besides you, who cares about your post that is complaining about my post?

I don't care about your post. It was a waste of time reading it