HP leads all 1.2M non-Apple tablets sold in US in 2011

Comments

• Reply 101 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

When someone says that competion is good, you know the competition is bad. If the best thing you can say about the competition is that the fundamental forces of the market are still in play, that's pretty damning. Although I appreciate the hope it expresses.

You don't think that there's competition in the phone space, that Android isn't an important force powering the mobile industry and, yes, even Apple? Look at Microsoft - they've done it, they've won. They *own* the desktop and notebook platform. So why is it they're working so hard to make Windows Phone and Windows 8 feature-rich and consumer-friendly, going so far as to uproot the entire Windows paradigm that's served them well for over 20 years? Competition from mobile devices, including the iPad, is helping to shape the PC into a better product for everyone. You can turn it around and say competition from Android has fueled the Apple machine by providing not only end-to-end control over the experience on the device, but also to host your entire digital hub onto iCloud, a major game changer for the entire Mobile and PC industry.

How is that not a good thing?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

A good tablet costs more than $200 to make and they're not subsidized like the phones are, so yeah, I can see why they're running into problems.

And people aren't just buying a tablet solely based on what hardware the tablet provides. They're buying into a whole eco-system, and Apple has that covered pretty well.

This is true, and that is why Android tablets up until now have all failed. Apple was more than capable of releasing a tablet PC years before the iPad was introduced. Hell, they've been working on it since 2005, before even the iPhone. They refused to release the product until it had a complete story behind it, with not only great hardware, but a fantastic eco-system of software and content to go with it. Google is learning their lesson, and beginning to get those pieces together (Movie rentals, TV shows, Music, Games, Apps, etc). Amazon took the Apple approach with their own device, tightly integrating all of their cloud services with it, and selling it at a price which will get them into as many hands as possible, especially those who want a tablet device to consume content on but find the iPad and most other tablets on the market too expensive or overkill. We'll see if that approach works.
  • Reply 102 of 141
    Remeber, Apple is not very good with head-to-head competition when they are no longer the front-runner. Apple is able to stay on top because they use the "Blue Ocean" strategy that Nintendo used with the Wii. They're not a marine, but Solid Snake.

That's a good business practice, but why is it that OSX hasn't taken over Windows yet? They create a new category and thrive in it. If Apple released a game console today, it would probaly fail. Heck, they might have some REAL competition in the TV business if it doesn't differntiate itself.

One Android tablets get cheap enough, Apple's going to be on another field.
  • Reply 103 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

One Android tablets get cheap enough, Apple's going to be on another field.

It's not even about that. You've always been able to buy a cheap Android tablet, it's just none of them have been any good, and I'm referring to the entire experience, not just the hardware. Once Android (and Windows) tablets complete that end-to-end experience of content and services, the one Apple is trying to complete themselves, then consumers will have a reason to pick up iPad alternatives. Early this year, every "iPad killer" tried to compete based on spec (cameras, displays, alternative UIs, etc), and every one of them failed. Specs alone are not enough to be a viable competitor in this growing market. You need to have the suite of services behind it that make the device worth while. That's what Amazon is doing with the Kindle Fire, spec-wise an inferior tablet to everything that has gone on sale this year, yet has a real shot at besting and out-classing every single Android tablet out there.

Just wait until Google and Microsoft begin to catch up not just on the OS side but on the cloud side as well. Things are going to get interesting over the next few years.
  • Reply 104 of 141
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I didn't quite understand what you meant by "default tablet choice," since most people I know are not asking themselves, "which tablet?" but "should I get an iPad or a new laptop?" Although lately, the Kindle Fire has people I know asking "Kindle or iPad?"

"Default" makes it sound like no thought was put into it, but any product that costs at least $499 requires some thought commitment--whether they stand in line or not--it's not a what the hell impulse buy.

I've always maintained that a tablet market exists, and it has going back to the days of Windows for Pen Computing and the Apple Newton. But Apple managed to create an all but separate market for iPads through sheer demand. Given that tablets have been around for 20 years in one form or another, did Apple's success in 2010 prove there was demand for tablets, or just iPads?

I won't argue about the meanings of words; not this time. sorry.
  • Reply 105 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

You don't think that there's competition in the phone space, that Android isn't an important force powering the mobile industry and, yes, even Apple? Look at Microsoft - they've done it, they've won. They *own* the desktop and notebook platform. So why is it they're working so hard to make Windows Phone and Windows 8 feature-rich and consumer-friendly, going so far as to uproot the entire Windows paradigm that's served them well for over 20 years? Competition from mobile devices, including the iPad, is helping to shape the PC into a better product for everyone. You can turn it around and say competition from Android has fueled the Apple machine by providing not only end-to-end control over the experience on the device, but also to host your entire digital hub onto iCloud, a major game changer for the entire Mobile and PC industry.

How is that not a good thing?

This is true, and that is why Android tablets up until now have all failed. Apple was more than capable of releasing a tablet PC years before the iPad was introduced. Hell, they've been working on it since 2005, before even the iPhone. They refused to release the product until it had a complete story behind it, with not only great hardware, but a fantastic eco-system of software and content to go with it. Google is learning their lesson, and beginning to get those pieces together (Movie rentals, TV shows, Music, Games, Apps, etc). Amazon took the Apple approach with their own device, tightly integrating all of their cloud services with it, and selling it at a price which will get them into as many hands as possible, especially those who want a tablet device to consume content on but find the iPad and most other tablets on the market too expensive or overkill. We'll see if that approach works.

I didn't say the concept of competition was a bad thing. I do think when people invoke that concept it's a sign that the actual current competition is bad.
  • Reply 106 of 141
    Quote:

It's not even about that. You've always been able to buy a cheap Android tablet, it's just none of them have been any good, and I'm referring to the entire experience, not just the hardware. Once Android (and Windows) tablets complete that end-to-end experience of content and services, the one Apple is trying to complete themselves, then consumers will have a reason to pick up iPad alternatives. Early this year, every "iPad killer" tried to compete based on spec (cameras, displays, alternative UIs, etc), and every one of them failed. Specs alone are not enough to be a viable competitor in this growing market. You need to have the suite of services behind it that make the device worth while. That's what Amazon is doing with the Kindle Fire, spec-wise an inferior tablet to everything that has gone on sale this year, yet has a real shot at besting and out-classing every single Android tablet out there.

Just wait until Google and Microsoft begin to catch up not just on the OS side but on the cloud side as well. Things are going to get interesting over the next few years.

Umm.....what good cheap Android tablets are out there? The ones at K-mart/Kohls? That COBY crap doesn't count! I'm talking about the fully fledge Honeycomb/ICS tablets. Have yet ot see one.
  • Reply 107 of 141
    Quote:

I've always maintained that a tablet market exists, and it has going back to the days of Windows for Pen Computing and the Apple Newton. But Apple managed to create an all but separate market for iPads through sheer demand. Given that tablets have been around for 20 years in one form or another, did Apple's success in 2010 prove there was demand for tablets, or just iPads?

I believe the success of the iPad proves there is a demand for a user-friendly touch screen device that provides an intimate and intuitive experience with your digital content in a way laptops and tablets of the past never did. So far, every company that has tried before Apple has failed, and until now there hasn't been a clear alternative. You do mention the Kindle Fire however, which definitely does fall into this new category which Apple has popularized. It's far from a perfect product, but it is the first to actually compete in the services area rather than the hardware alone.

So yes, the question may be "iPad or laptop," but in a few years I'm confident it will shape out the way smartphones eventually did with Google and Microsoft investing so much of their companies to maintain relevance in this new world. And I think they'll make it.
  • Reply 108 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I didn't say the concept of competition was a bad thing. I do think when people invoke that concept it's a sign that the actual current competition is bad.

At present time, it seems only Apple makes money (and quite a lot) with tablets. One can hardly consider this is healthy competition, in the sense that everybody knows how this situation is going to end, in whatever market it is observed. If Apple competitors really want to compete, they will also have to find a way to also make money on this market ... or disappear ...
  • Reply 109 of 141
    Quote:

Umm.....what good cheap Android tablets are out there? The ones at K-mart/Kohls? That COBY crap doesn't count! I'm talking about the fully fledge Honeycomb/ICS tablets. Have yet ot see one.

Read what I wrote. I already said "none of them have been any good" up to this point. For the most part, they're crap. You're arguing with me even though I already agreed with you.

I also said what are some of the requirements that make the iPad a great device, and Amazon is the first company to really address the services part of the tablet head first with the Kindle Fire. If you're on a quest for an inexpensive, but high-quality hardware feel to it, I would say start with the Fire and move up to the Nook Tablet that just came out. I'm not saying you'll find what you're looking for, but it *is* a start, and will only get better with time.
  • Reply 110 of 141
    Quote:

I believe the success of the iPad proves there is a demand for a user-friendly touch screen device that provides an intimate and intuitive experience with your digital content in a way laptops and tablets of the past never did. So far, every company that has tried before Apple has failed, and until now there hasn't been a clear alternative. You do mention the Kindle Fire however, which definitely does fall into this new category which Apple has popularized. It's far from a perfect product, but it is the first to actually compete in the services area rather than the hardware alone.

So yes, the question may be "iPad or laptop," but in a few years I'm confident it will shape out the way smartphones eventually did with Google and Microsoft investing so much of their companies to maintain relevance in this new world. And I think they'll make it.

Microsoft did a great job with the Xbox. Stellar and beyond with the 360.

These thigns take time. iPad is a new category all together, so companies are trying to figure out what they need to do to say 'hey, but your iPad can't do dis!". It's unfair to expect immediate oblivion of Apple from competition when this is something new that came out.

Lately Apple has been finding a lot of niches where they stand the standard....a VERY high standard at that. Like how now game has had higher review than Ocarina of Time (to this day). It's a matter of time. The true test for Apple will be what happens when the innovation slows and they start to just refine.....
  • Reply 111 of 141
    Quote:

Read what I wrote. I already said "none of them have been any good" up to this point. For the most part, they're crap. You're arguing with me even though I already agreed with you.

I also said what are some of the requirements that make the iPad a great device, and Amazon is the first company to really address the services part of the tablet head first with the Kindle Fire. If you're on a quest for an inexpensive, but high-quality hardware feel to it, I would say start with the Fire and move up to the Nook Tablet that just came out. I'm not saying you'll find what you're looking for, but it *is* a start, and will only get better with time.

Apperently the the HP touchpad was good enough. I think HP just needs to start selling their tablets again at a loss. They have the cash reserves...
  • Reply 112 of 141
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I think HP just needs to start selling their tablets again at a loss.

Brilliant¡
  • Reply 113 of 141
    Quote:

Apperently the the HP touchpad was good enough. I think HP just needs to start selling their tablets again at a loss. They have the cash reserves...

Why doesn't Apple sell the iPad for $50 at a loss? They have more cash reserves than anybody.

Don't worry, I'm aware you're just trollin,' bro
  • Reply 114 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Brilliant¡

It's HP's final gift to the world.......
  • Reply 115 of 141
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

It's HP's final gift to the world.......

I have a recommendation for your final gift to the world but I think it may break the forum rules.
  • Reply 116 of 141
    Quote:

Why doesn't Apple sell the iPad for $50 at a loss? They have more cash reserves than anybody.

Don't worry, I'm aware you're just trollin,' bro

Apple and HP are two totally different companies. Apple isn't struggling like HP. HP's probaly going to get rid of their consumer business anyways.

You are trying to make something what it isn't. You obviously lack the knowlege that businesses do things differently. Nintendo makes a profit on their consoles, SONY loses. Apparently SONY is trolling too.

How am I a troll exactly? I find if funny how on this site if anybody disagrees with Apple, they are a troll? I didn't know stating an opinion was trollling.
  • Reply 117 of 141
    Quote:

Microsoft did a great job with the Xbox. Stellar and beyond with the 360.

These thigns take time. iPad is a new category all together, so companies are trying to figure out what they need to do to say 'hey, but your iPad can't do dis!". It's unfair to expect immediate oblivion of Apple from competition when this is something new that came out.

Lately Apple has been finding a lot of niches where they stand the standard....a VERY high standard at that. Like how now game has had higher review than Ocarina of Time (to this day). It's a matter of time. The true test for Apple will be what happens when the innovation slows and they start to just refine.....

And competitors all thought Flash compatibility would be the one thing that would sink the iPad... Back to the drawing board.

What only some of you have touched on is the fact that Apple didn't just hit one out of the ballpark with the iPad; they reset what people should expect from a tablet and the tablet experience. If competitors manage to ever control that, then Apple might lose the market, but as long as Apple sets popular expectations, they'll stay one step ahead.
  • Reply 118 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have a recommendation for your final gift to the world but I think it may break the forum rules.

So then why even post what you did? What are you trying to prove? If you're not going ot post it, then it is irrelvant to post what you would have-otherwise you could be inciting a flame war.
  • Reply 119 of 141
    Quote:

<...>

Like many others, I did not wait, and bought an iPad....

It remembers me the ancient times where the IBM marketing was powerful enough to prevent companies from buying competitors products, based on vague promises of brilliant IBM products to come. This time is over .. insanely great products on one side , promises , or lousy products, on the other side ...

Like someone already here said, the teenagers have a very good understanding of this situation : they want an iPad, nothing else (no, I am no longer a teenager ...)
  • Reply 120 of 141
    Quote:

And competitors all thought Flash compatibility would be the one thing that would sink the iPad... Back to the drawing board.

What only some of you have touched on is the fact that Apple didn't just hit one out of the ballpark with the iPad; they reset what people should expect from a tablet and the tablet experience. If competitors manage to ever control that, then Apple might lose the market, but as long as Apple sets popular expectations, they'll stay one step ahead.

Which is why Apple has to keep innovating. Hopefully their TV market comes to fruit (and Samsung goesn't sue them for teh rectangles).

Apple's recent history in the last 10 years is to innovate and jump to the next project. Before you've become what Apple has, they have already become what you have not.