Select Apple Stores to open at midnight and 4AM on Black Friday

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In preparation for Black Friday, a majority of Apple Stores in the U.S. will open their doors early between 5AM and 9AM, 18 locations will reportedly start the day at 4AM and at least five will start sales at midnight.

Usual business hours for most nationwide Apple Stores begin at 10AM, but for the biggest shopping day of the year, Apple is reportedly preparing to open handful of retail spaces hours early on Nov. 25, according to ifoAppleStore.

At least five of Apple's retail outlets are said to be opening at midnight, including the Arden Fair, Galleria at Roseville, Vintage Faire Mall and Fashion Fair outlets in California and the Orland Square store in Illinois.

The midnight openings will be followed by 18 stores nationwide, with Rockingham, King of Prussia, Southdale, Tacoma Mall, Santa Rosa Plaza, Summit, Stoneridge, Soutchenter, Smith Haven Mall, South HIlls Village, West Town Mall, Pleasant Lane, University Park Mall, Burlington Mall, Fifth Avenue Mall, Lehigh Valley Mall, Woodfield and Ala Moana all opening at 4AM.

Remaining Apple Stores will extend their hours to open between 5AM and 9AM on Black Friday to take advantage of the company's recently advertised Black Friday sale, with only a few expected to operate on a normal schedule.

Starting in December, select locations will be extending hours, historically staying open an hour later to accommodate last-minute shoppers.

To find the extended hours of an Apple Store near you, [click here].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Why? There won't be any massive deals.

Hi-o!
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Christ, even Apple is doing its part to overrun Thanksgiving with a money grab.

Really, Apple, how many customers are going to skip buying your products because they have to wait until 8am instead of 4am or midnight?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Recreational Shopping.

I've never really gotten into it.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The Apple store nearby me is always open 24-7, 365 days a year, so I can't get too excited by any Apple store opening up at midnight.

It is cool to go there at around 3-4 AM though, virtually zero tourists in sight.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

Really, Apple, how many customers are going to skip buying your products because they have to wait until 8am instead of 4am or midnight?

Lots of people who will go for the atmosphere will be in the mood to spend big. That is how they will enjoy themselves.

Apple is doing this both because they will make money on it, and because a lot of customers will enjoy going at special times to spend their money there. It works both ways.

• Reply 6 of 19
    And so it begins. The annual frenzy of greed, stupidity, and lovelessness.

Throw another body in the shark tank and watch America bleed.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) I can't get the holiday hours overlay to work in Safari or Chrome. Not used to seeing messed up webcode on Apple's site.

2) All those tired bastards likely spending more if they weren't half asleep trying to a jump on Black Friday after an exhaustive Thanksgiving. Good luck, shoppers.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

And so it begins. The annual frenzy of greed, stupidity, and lovelessness.

Throw another body in the shark tank and watch America bleed.

Don't be a whiner. If somebody wants to spend their money on a new Mac or something, then what's the problem?

And if somebody is buying presents for somebody else, then that's not exactly selfish. That seems like a kind act. Anybody getting a new Mac as a present should feel pretty damn happy.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Great news! I am going to camp out so I can be one of the lucky few to get $25 off a 27" inch iMac!

-kpluck
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Very sad to see Apple contributing to this Black Friday madness - there's no material reason to impact workers' lives like this (particularly (1) for a company doing as well as Apple's doing, and (2) given that the average Black Friday shopper skews away from Apple's general demographics in a lot of ways).
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

+1

And frankly that goes for all the Black Friday sales - what's so special about the crap at Wal-Mart or Target that people can't wait 5 or 6 hours?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Tacky ....very tacky.

Thanksgiving is about family and opening up at 12am just rips people away from their family.

America's tenuous grip on the concept of Family continues to sink into the Abyss.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    That's the store in Nashua, New Hampshire. Rockingham, the only other New Hampshire store and about 15 miles as the crow flies from Pheasant Lane, will also open at 4am.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

+1

And frankly that goes for all the Black Friday sales - what's so special about the crap at Wal-Mart or Target that people can't wait 5 or 6 hours?

I agree that Black Friday is highly overrated, I wrote that in a thread yesterday.

But, I can also see the other side of the coin, and for some of the workers, maybe they want to be there on holidays working as they probably get overtime and maybe holiday pay, so it's a good thing for them.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I agree that Black Friday is highly overrated, I wrote that in a thread yesterday.

But, I can also see the other side of the coin, and for some of the workers, maybe they want to be there on holidays working as they probably get overtime and maybe holiday pay, so it's a good thing for them.

Uh, more like HELL for them. You have to be kidding right? Who the F wants to work on days like that? Maybe if they pay commission, otherwise forget it.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Great news! I am going to camp out so I can be one of the lucky few to get $25 off a 27" inch iMac!

-kpluck

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Uh, more like HELL for them. You have to be kidding right? Who the F wants to work on days like that? Maybe if they pay commission, otherwise forget it.

I liked working Black Friday when I was a kid. We stashed the best stuff away for ourselves and purchased them at the end of our shift, and holiday pay was always awesome. Lots of coffee and free baked goods from the manager, plus the fact we all went through retail hell together made the whole thing fun.

It's funny to see people bitching about Black Friday, when most people who use this site have stood in a long ass line at least once for an Apple product. And what's with all this damn pretentious snark anyway? They are buying gifts, not raping small children for Pete's sake.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I agree with Apple ][ and Cash907. As a kid I loved working the holidays in retail, earning double pay and the whole holiday rush environment. It's so easy to work hard when you're having fun. It was never hell. And I was never short or over on my cash drawer, and never had any issue with any of the customers or colleagues. I guess retail isn't for everyone.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

commission? are you high? apple store employees are all hourly, save the 2 top managers that are salaried. most are part time to boot, so they're most likely scheduled their standard number of hours so will have to drag themselves to work at these crazy hours for no extra compensation.

Apple Store is going the way of discount merchants, expecting more for less. the employees are considered expendable.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I agree with Apple ][ and Cash907. As a kid I loved working the holidays in retail, earning double pay and the whole holiday rush environment. It's so easy to work hard when you're having fun. It was never hell. And I was never short or over on my cash drawer, and never had any issue with any of the customers or colleagues. I guess retail isn't for everyone.

double pay???? um, no, not at the Apple Store.