Grand Central Apple Store won't open by Black Friday, construction worker says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The unveiling of what is to be the largest Apple Store in the world, a retail space in New York's Grand Central Terminal, will not take place on Black Friday as rumored earlier this week.

Despite rumors that pointed to a Black Friday unveiling, a construction worker at the site said on Tuesday that it could be weeks, not days, until the Grand Central Apple Store opens its doors to the public, reports Mashable.

Rumors from various tech blogs claimed that Apple would announce the opening of the huge venue to coincide with Black Friday, though the company has yet to release an official statement.

"it won't be any time too soon," an unnamed construction worker told Mashable. "We still have a lot to do, so my guess is that it will be ready in December."

AppleInsider reported in August that the massive 23,000 square foot location would be the largest Apple store in the world, noting the tech giant hoped to have it open in time for the holiday season.

The store will be the first U.S. location opened since former Apple Senior Vice President of Retail Ron Johnson left the company in early November.

Apple reached a deal with the MTA after almost scrapping plans to build in the "marquee space," ultimately paying $5 million to buy out the remaining eight years on Charlie Palmer's Metrazur restaurant's lease. The company is said to be paying anywhere from $800,000 to $1.1 million in rent per year to use the location.

In addition to the Grand Central Terminal store, Apple recently completed a redesign to the iconic glass cube that adorns the entrance to the company's Fifth Avenue Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    It's no big deal. There are plenty of other Apple stores in the immediate area, so nobody is going to have a hard time feeding their appetite for Apple stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's no big deal. There are plenty of other Apple stores in the immediate area, so nobody is going to have a hard time feeding their appetite for Apple stuff.

Also, holidays will be the LEAST trafficked times for this store. Grand Central Station is a good place for an Apple Store but it's not exactly a destination unless you're going to catch a train. I doubt there's going to be the least bit of bustle going on there over this weekend. Outside and three blocks over sure, but not inside GCS, so no loss. Good move to not bother rushing the opening.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Lol. Things are delaying left and right without jobs at the helm.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avonord View Post

Do you know what Grand Central Station is? It's not a mall, it's a commuter train station. There will be no one there between Weds. night and Monday morning. On any given Saturday you can hock lugies off the balcony of the Oyster Bar all day and not hit anyone.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

What's delayed? I laugh at you because you have been duped and you are guilty of being ignorant.

A store opening can not be delayed, when Apple has never officially announced an opening date.

When reached for comment on the report, an Apple spokeswoman said the company had nothing to announce.

You do realize that just because some random person on the internet starts a rumor or asserts something as fact, that doesn't mean that it's true, do you?

If you read some rumor that the iPad 3 is going to be released on Jan. 10, 2012, would you blame Apple for that when it is not? I bet that you would. Use some critical thinking skills next time and don't believe every piece of garbage that you read.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Awe so sad. Maybe we should get together and sing Kumbaya.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Awe so sad. Maybe we should get together and sing Kumbaya.

Screw that. If I felt like singing Kumbaya, I'd probably sign up and join a hippy forum instead of an Apple forum.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:

The store didn't have a deadline of Black Friday. That's invented by the rumor mill. Second, and if you read Steve's biography you'd know this, Apple doesn't release ANYTHING until it's ready and they hardly ever give timeframes. I think the only thing you can say they "missed" was iCloud which they said would be out at the end of October and was the first week of November instead.

What other company can say they do this?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    The glass for the old Fifth Ave store should be donated to the Smithsonian!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    It would have been a nightmare to open a new store on Black Friday. Apple made the right decision to hold off the grand opening.