Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new television ad by Samsung reflects its growing rivalry with Apple by painting a caricature of customers waiting in line for the iPhone.

The Galaxy S II smartphone commercial was set to debut on Facebook late Tuesday and begin airing on TV on Thanksgiving, Mashable reports. The spot opens on groups of people waiting in line in major cities across the U.S. in an apparent reference to the crowds that Apple traditionally draws to its iPhone product launches.

"Guys, I'm so amped I could stay for three weeks," said one line-waiter, who appears to be waiting in front of a generic reproduction of an Apple Store. "9 hours down and we're almost in the door," said another customer.

Samsung went on to take a stab at reports of battery problems with the iPhone 4S. "Uh oh, blogs are saying that battery looks sketchy," said a man wearing white earbuds.

The commercial also gave voice to a complaint that emerged after the iPhone 4S was unveiled.

"If it looks the same, how will people know I upgraded?" a line-waiter asked.

After it was revealed that Apple had chosen not to issue a redesigned form factor for its fifth-generation iPhone, some prospective customers complained that they'd be unable to flaunt their new iPhone 4S purchases because the device looks almost the same as the iPhone 4.

The ad then depicts the customers as they ogle at others who are using the Galaxy S II smartphone. "Check out the screen this thing is huge. It's pretty massive," one customer said. "And it's got 4G speed," said another.

The South Korean electronics company also mocked the fact that Apple devices have become known as the platform of choice for creative professionals. "I could never get a Samsung. I'm creative," said one man. "Dude, you're a barista," his friend retorted.

The commercial closed with the tagline: "The next big thing is already here."

This isn't the first time that Apple and Samsung have sparred over the iPhone and the Galaxy S II. The two companies argued in the U.K. over who had the right to advertise the "world's thinnest smartphone." Apple won that fight, as the country's Advertising Standards Authority ruled that the Galaxy S II had "prominent bulges" at the top of the device that made it thicker than the iPhone 4 at its thickest point. Also, within hours of Apple's iPhone 4S announcement, Samsung had sent out emails with a specifications comparison sheet touting its Galaxy smartphone.

Samsung Galaxy S II, photo via Cnet.

Samsung's rivalry with Apple will heat up even further next month when the Android 4.0 flagship Galaxy Nexus arrives in the U.S. Early web benchmarks from the U.K. version show that Samsung's latest smartphone outperforms the iPhone 4S in some web tests, though Apple's handset bests it with respect to graphics.

The tense relationship between the companies escalated into an outright legal battle earlier this year. Apple and Samsung are entangled in more than 20 lawsuits across more than 10 countries. Samsung recently won the right to a hearing against Apple that will take place next March in Australia.

Meanwhile, Apple has succeeded in getting injunctions against Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet in Germany and Australia. Samsung made a few changes to the Galaxy Tab in order to avoid Apple's infringement claims and relaunch the device in Germany.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 273
    Lolz, gotta love Samsung!
  • Reply 2 of 273
    DING DING DING......Can't wait to read this thread!
  • Reply 3 of 273
    All of these competitor commercials seem so unprofessional. They can't advertise to anybody other than the people with an inferiority complex? Maybe I'm in the minority, since I bought my iPhone for the sole purpose that I personally enjoy using it, it does everything I want a device like this to do, and the attention to detail in both hardware and software is unmatched. I couldn't really care less if some droid-wielding google zealot hates me for it or if some blind apple fanboy loves me for it.
  • Reply 4 of 273
    "I could never get a Samsung. I'm creative," said one man. "Dude, you're a barista," his friend retorted.

Lolz. Though that might be offensive if you work at STAWBUCKS!
  • Reply 5 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

All of these competitor commercials seem so unprofessional. They can't advertise to anybody other than the people with an inferiority complex? Maybe I'm in the minority, since I bought my iPhone for the sole purpose that I personally enjoy using it, it does everything I want a device like this to do, and the attention to detail in both hardware and software is unmatched. I couldn't really care less if some droid-wielding google zealot hates me for it or if some blind apple fanboy loves me for it.

But it's the CLASS of people you belong to. I don't feel all liberaly with my 4S. I just use it. I mean, what would Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Bugatti be without status symbolism?
  • Reply 6 of 273
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    What's the next round of commercials? Making fun of apple for having all that money?
  • Reply 7 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

What's the next round of commercials? Making fun of apple for having all that money?

Samsung has a lot of money ($343 billion). They practically own Korea. Err, South Korea.
  • Reply 8 of 273
    Wow Samsung nailed it. That's one of the best tech ads I've seen in ages.

Apple really let us all down with the 4S, they deserve to be taken to task for its failings so they put more effort in next year which can only be a good thing!!

The critique of fans is harsh, Apple make fans that way through manipulative marketing, it isn't their fault, but after a disaster like the 4S, anyone who upgrades from a 4 to a 4S does need at least a little therapy.

We can all pray to Apple the the 5 is awesome next year.
  • Reply 9 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

Samsung has a lot of money ($343 billion). They practically own Korea. Err, South Korea.

But the company is fragmented into sectors.
  • Reply 10 of 273
    You have to admit, Samsung completely nailed the whiners here. "Oh, the blogs say the battery's not looking good?"

It's as though they have employees who spend a lot of time on Apple forums?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

Apple really let us all down with the 4S, they deserve to be taken to task for its failings so they put more effort in next year which can only be a good thing!!

The critique of fans is harsh, Apple make fans that way through manipulative marketing, it isn't their fault, but after a disaster like the 4S, anyone who upgrades from a 4 to a 4S does need at least a little therapy.

We can all pray to Apple the the 6 is awesome next year.

Please tell me this is absolutely terrible satire that I'm just missing.

Also, fixed.
  • Reply 11 of 273
    Quote:

The 4S is in no way a disappointment.

Media makes it seem that way, but holy shit I love my 4S
  • Reply 12 of 273
    Hi,

I own the 4S, love it, think the concern over it looking the same is bizarre. It feels perfect, works perfect, classic design.

But the samsung commercial is funny. It's great. Good for them. But I love my iphone, wouldn't trade for the Samsung, never!
  • Reply 13 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

But the company is fragmented into sectors.

Au contraire ami. He just said Apple. He never refered to spefific sectors and whatnots.
  • Reply 14 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

Hi,

I own the 4S, love it, think the concern over it looking the same is bizarre. It feels perfect, works perfect, classic design.

But the samsung commercial is funny. It's great. Good for them. But I love my iphone, wouldn't trade for the Samsung, never!

SUPERAMOLED calls your name.

Of course, though, you'll be without updates for a bit. *looks at my Vibrant*
  • Reply 15 of 273
    Quote:

Wow, a bit harsh don't ya think!
  • Reply 16 of 273
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

+1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

Hi,

Samsung would trade Apple in a heart beat. They only wish they had as many people lining up to buy their phones.

I prefer Apple's commercials where they highlight what you can do with your iPhone. Very app centric. Android commercials are largely mythical. People fighting robots and other nonsense. Android is much like windows...there is little art to the platform ..it's about "Dude my screen is huge!" for bragging about 4G which is useless without wide cellular coverage.

Quote:

Wow, a bit harsh don't ya think!

Sir please learn to use the multiquote feature. It really works.
  • Reply 17 of 273
    Quote:

Au contraire ami. He just said Apple. He never refered to spefific sectors and whatnots.

I'm talking about Samsung.
  • Reply 18 of 273
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung went on to take a stab at reports of battery problems with the iPhone 4S. "Uh oh, blogs are saying that battery looks sketchy," said a man wearing white earbuds.

I wonder what the battery life is for the galaxy using 4g. It can't be that great and with the large screen, i bet samsung will have their own battery problems. Next they'll say well you can turn off 4g if you don't need it. Ah...the selling points.

I also wonder how long will users wait until they are able to get android 4.0.
  • Reply 19 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

+1

Samsung would trade Apple in a heart beat. They only wish they had as many people lining up to buy their phones.

I prefer Apple's commercials where they highlight what you can do with your iPhone. Very app centric. Android commercials are largely mythical. People fighting robots and other nonsense. Android is much like windows...there is little art to the platform ..it's about "Dude my screen is huge!" for bragging about 4G which is useless without wide cellular coverage.

Wait, didn't Apple do the same thing with their "I'm a MAC" commercials?

Largely mythical? Didn't Apple call their products 'magical and revolutionary'?

Having a huge screen is for a particular segment, as some people (like me) have big hands. 4G has had a huge following and it's there so why not use it? You're saying there is little art to the platform, but can you define that? The fighting robots caters to one crowd, but that is Verizon's ads. I hope you noitced that Android phoens are marketed diffrenetly via different carriers. Ever seen Samsung's commericals before this one? They highlight the features (Samsung Galaxy S commericals)
  • Reply 20 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

I'm talking about Samsung.

You were refering to how Samsung wishes they were sitting on piles of cash like Apple. I showed you the numbers.