Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters

Comments

• Reply 21 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

All of these competitor commercials seem so unprofessional. They can't advertise to anybody other than the people with an inferiority complex? Maybe I'm in the minority, since I bought my iPhone for the sole purpose that I personally enjoy using it, it does everything I want a device like this to do, and the attention to detail in both hardware and software is unmatched. I couldn't really care less if some droid-wielding google zealot hates me for it or if some blind apple fanboy loves me for it.

You must either be one of the only unique ones in your generation.....

...or...

over 40.

Either way, you are certainly the minority. Stay that way.
  • Reply 22 of 273
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

SUPERAMOLED calls your name.

Of course, though, you'll be without updates for a bit. *looks at my Vibrant*

How's that burn in treating you?

It might look good now but give it six months and you'll be looking to buy the next big thing from Samsung, which they'll gladly sell you.

Now how to expose your Vibrant for the POS it is.

Go to an Apple store and go to where the high end headphones are on display.

Plug a pair into the Vibrant and play a song, now plug the headphones back into an iPhone and play the same song.

Try not to burst into tears on your way out the door.
  • Reply 23 of 273
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    I can just imagine if Apple made an ad stereotyping Android users. Whoo boy, what a pimply-faced nerd-fest that would be. No worries though, Apple has too much class for that. And they're smart enough to realize advertising the user experience from owning the product is more effective that insulting your potential customers.
  • Reply 24 of 273
    lxglxg Posts: 19member
    Samsung just design a product that doesn't suck. A commercial can only go so far.

My house has only one Samsung device vs. 11 Apple products. And believe me, I can switch gears

in heart beat but Apple just turns out great products albeit phones, computer, iPods, software and perhaps soon to be TV that will replace my Samsung.
  • Reply 25 of 273
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

You must either be one of the only unique ones in your generation.....

...or...

over 40.

Either way, you are certainly the minority. Stay that way.

Uhm... No, he's the majority. The fanboy nonsense is the minority. People buying products because it suits their needs is the majority, despite what the minority of nerds on a tech forum think.
  • Reply 26 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

How's that burn in treating you?

It might look good now but give it six months and you'll be looking to buy the next big thing from Samsung, which they'll gladly sell you.

Now how to expose your Vibrant for the POS it is.

Go to an Apple store and go to where the high end headphones are on display.

Plug a pair into the Vibrant and play a song, now plug the headphones back into an iPhone and play the same song.

Try not to burst into tears on your way out the door.

I have a Vibrant and a iPhone 4S. To be honest, I like the sound on my Vibrant better. How is it a POS? I love the Super AMOLED screen with it's infinite black color and home the tech will be on TVs real soon. I also haven't had any burn in. BEAUTIFUL display (lacks retina sharpness though). I also have a plasma tv...no burn in.

Also, you are not making any sense. You tell me to go where the high end headphones are, but to plug them into my phone (at an Apple store?). I'm not seeing your point....
  • Reply 27 of 273
    Quote:

Samsung has a lot of money ($343 billion). They practically own Korea. Err, South Korea.

Don't be a stupid shill.

Show me where it says Samsung has $343 billion.

If you can't, do us a favor, and please ....

Oh, get off your high horse, hmurchison. Please take the trouble to read what I wrote. You can go ahead and ban me too, for all I care. AI is becoming a bit of a joke anyway, catering to these Samsung trolls in droves. I have no doubt that you guys like the clicks, therefore the eyeballs, therefore the ad revenue. But you may wish to worry about your authenticity.
  • Reply 28 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lxg View Post

Samsung just design a product that doesn't suck. A commercial can only go so far.

My house has only one Samsung device vs. 11 Apple products. And believe me, I can switch gears

in heart beat but Apple just turns out great products albeit phones, computer, iPods, software and perhaps soon to be TV that will replace my Samsung.

Samsung tends to make way too many products and forgets about them. The Galaxy SII has waaaayyy too many variants. Their TVs tend to be better as they have less variants. Galaxy S, Galaxy Y. Vibrant, Epic, Epic 4G Touch......*sigh* the list goes on.
  • Reply 29 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

They can't advertise to anybody other than the people with an inferiority complex?

Apple like this kind of commercial.

"Get a Mac"(Mac vs PC) ad mock PC users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siSHJfPWxs8

"Although the ad takes a new approach, Samsung is hardly the first brand to challenge Apple?s cult-like following. SanDisk bashed ?iPuppets? and ?iSheep? in 2006 when it took on the iPod?s dominance in the portable MP3 player category. More recently, Motorola attempted to one-up one of Apple?s proudest moment ? its legendary ?1984″ Macintosh ad ? with a Super Bowl ad for the Xoom tablet"

http://mashable.com/2011/11/22/samsu...s-apple-mania/
  • Reply 30 of 273
    Question is... who's the target audience for the ad?

It's not us line-waiting iPhone lovers. They couldn't possibly think this ad would lure passionate Apple enthusiasts away from the iPhone with it.

It's not Googlier-than-thou Android lovers either - they've already got those guys. It's gotta be some in between, "want a cool phone but don't understand what the iPhone fuss is about" segment. Oooh big screen! Uh-oh battery rumors... 4G sounds... I dunno, better than 3G.

The artcraft in that spot for me is exactly that line about being an Apple devotee because he's "creative" and then is outted as just a barista. In two seconds it reinforces Apple's old niche AND makes fun of the blindly devoted.

Too bad the niche doesn't hold water today and that iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Air fans are devoted to quality, not the name.

So sayeth NotScott.
  • Reply 31 of 273
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    It's a terrible and highly ineffective ad that will only appeal to morons.

Samsung would give their left nut, scratch that, Samsung would give both their nuts to have one tenth of the amount of people lining up outside any store, waiting to buy a Samsung phone. So, they're basically advertising and confirming that there is no demand for their products and that they're jealous of Apple.

Bigger screen does not equal better phone, it simply means that the screen is bigger. A tractor has bigger tires than a Ferrari, but would you rather drive around in a tractor or a Ferrari? Any potential hillbillies reading this thread need not answer that question.

Regardless of what mentally unstable Fandroids might think and say, people don't love Apple products because they're sheeple or because of advertising and this Samsung ad is not going to lure anybody away from Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Sure, it's an attack ad, and sure, neither Samsung nor Android devices will have lines of people for any new model device, but this ad is great. It's actually showcasing the HW and eludes to a better user experience without some juvenile CGI of a robot invasion. It's both direct and subtle. It's a brilliant ad from a marketing standpoint.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You have to admit, Samsung completely nailed the whiners here. "Oh, the blogs say the battery's not looking good…"

It's as though they have employees who spend a lot of time on Apple forums…

• Reply 33 of 273
    Definitely the best android commercial ever. It's very good. Effective use of differences in product and you come away with the name of both the maker and product. Very well done.
  • Reply 34 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Don't be a stupid shill.

Show me where it says Samsung has $343 billion.

If you can't, do us a favor, and please shut up.

Oh, so you tell people to .... Reported.

Here ya go. What do you have to say now?
  • Reply 35 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Question is... who's the target audience for the ad?

It's not us line-waiting iPhone lovers. They couldn't possibly think this ad would lure passionate Apple enthusiasts away from the iPhone with it.

It's not Googlier-than-thou Android lovers either - they've already got those guys. It's gotta be some in between, "want a cool phone but don't understand what the iPhone fuss is about" segment. Oooh big screen! Uh-oh battery rumors... 4G sounds... I dunno, better than 3G.

The artcraft in that spot for me is exactly that line about being an Apple devotee because he's "creative" and then is outted as just a barista. In two seconds it reinforces Apple's old niche AND makes fun of the blindly devoted.

Too bad the niche doesn't hold water today and that iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Air fans are devoted to quality, not the name.

So sayeth NotScott.

NotScott sayeth well.
  • Reply 36 of 273
    Quote:

Oh, so you tell people to shut up. Reported.

Here ya go. What do you have to say now?

Where and how do your numbers show that "Samsung has $343 billion"? (Hint: They don't).

Surely you can sort of read the basics of financials, right? In other words, you know what "has" means in financial terms?

Before you persist with this, you may wish to think about the fact that you might make your employer or Android smartphone owners look uninformed.
  • Reply 37 of 273
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Wait, didn't Apple do the same thing with their "I'm a MAC" commercials?

Largely mythical? Didn't Apple call their products 'magical and revolutionary'?

Having a huge screen is for a particular segment, as some people (like me) have big hands. 4G has had a huge following and it's there so why not use it? You're saying there is little art to the platform, but can you define that? The fighting robots caters to one crowd, but that is Verizon's ads. I hope you noitced that Android phoens are marketed diffrenetly via different carriers. Ever seen Samsung's commericals before this one? They highlight the features (Samsung Galaxy S commericals)

They had fun at Microsofts expense on the "I"m a Mac" commercials but if I remember correctly they typically covered things like "yes office runs on a Mac" or shed light on the absence of virus on the platform. There was a message behind the humor. Making fun of people in line waiting for a product says what?

I don't think Samsung's adds were funny nor very informative as plenty of phones have a huge screen and 4G. Why exactly should I buy a Samsung over any other model? They couldn't answer that.

Go pull the sales numbers for the iPad before you start calling "magical and revolutionary" a mythical concept. I'm afraid the data supports that the iPad "is" a bit of a revolution.

Yes having a huge screen is popular for Apple fans as well which is why many of us bought iPads rather than some tweener (too big to be comfy phone to small to be a tablet)

I'm for choice though and I wouldn't mind seeing a 4" iPhone but I think few people really want to see a 4.5" iPhone or larger.

Siri pretty much obviates my need for a larger keyboard as it's voice recognition is pretty damn fantastic for my needs.
  • Reply 38 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    edit: Pipped by anantksundaram.
  • Reply 39 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

IA tractor has bigger tires than a Ferrari, but would you rather drive around in a tractor or a Ferrari? Any potential hillbillies reading this thread need not answer that question.

You win the Nobel prize for humor.
  • Reply 40 of 273
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:

Samsung has a lot of money ($343 billion). They practically own Korea. Err, South Korea.

dude.. lay off the glue.