Samsung Galaxy S II ad mocks iPhone line-waiters

Comments

• Reply 81 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audio_inside View Post

Yeah, Apple would NEVER refer to the competition's customers as LEMMINGS...

I love that game!
  • Reply 82 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

What are you tripping on?

Fandroids are probably going to say the ad is spot on regarding their own attitude and bias towards Apple.

It vaguely reminds me of the first Xoom ad that also evoked the iSheep myth. (P.S., It's funny to watch that lame ad: it appears the only thing the Xoom could do was that 3D google maps trick; it's not like it could run a bazillion apps like Garageband or iMovie or Keynote.)
  • Reply 83 of 273
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    So, not only Samsung ripped-off iPhone and got in trouble over it, they're now making ads stating it's better than iPhone.
  • Reply 84 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Fandroids are probably going to say the ad is spot on regarding their own attitude and bias towards Apple.

It vaguely reminds me of the first Xoom ad that also evoked the iSheep myth. (P.S., It's funny to watch that lame ad: it appears the only thing the Xoom could do was that 3D google maps trick; it's not like it could run a bazillion apps like Garageband or iMovie or Keynote.)

I smite the Xoom and all of it's makers. Overpriced garbage. To think this is the same phone company that made the RAZR/KRZR.
  • Reply 85 of 273
    It sounds like a commercial made by children, For children. Most Android TV ads you cannot even tell what product they are selling who the company is until they flash the name at the end of the commercial.

"Come and get a Samsung phone. There is no waiting in line, because no one wants one"
  • Reply 86 of 273
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 845032 View Post

Apple like this kind of commercial.

"Get a Mac"(Mac vs PC) ad mock PC users.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siSHJfPWxs8

"Although the ad takes a new approach, Samsung is hardly the first brand to challenge Apple?s cult-like following. SanDisk bashed ?iPuppets? and ?iSheep? in 2006 when it took on the iPod?s dominance in the portable MP3 player category. More recently, Motorola attempted to one-up one of Apple?s proudest moment ? its legendary ?1984″ Macintosh ad ? with a Super Bowl ad for the Xoom tablet"

http://mashable.com/2011/11/22/samsu...s-apple-mania/

And what happened after those marketing campaigns? Nothing. Those companies just lost some simple public respect with their "me too" "me better" "we want a cult too"
  • Reply 87 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

Wow Samsung nailed it. That's one of the best tech ads I've seen in ages.

Apple really let us all down with the 4S, they deserve to be taken to task for its failings so they put more effort in next year which can only be a good thing!!

The critique of fans is harsh, Apple make fans that way through manipulative marketing, it isn't their fault, but after a disaster like the 4S, anyone who upgrades from a 4 to a 4S does need at least a little therapy.

We can all pray to Apple the the 5 is awesome next year.

Shut the front door! You can't be serious? Do you bother to read any of the articles here or ANY tech site for that matter? If you did you would know that the iPhone 4s is THE BEST selling smart phone of all time, HARDLY A "DISASTER" as you put it. iPhone 4s is still an amazing phone, not to forget it is twice as fast and graphics are 7 times faster than the iPhone 4. If you game on the iPhone like me THAT IS FUDGING HUGE!!!

Sounds like to me you should get yourself a Samsung phone running a soon to be outdated version of Android (because you won't be able to upgrade an Android phone or you didn't know that?)
  • Reply 88 of 273
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    BI: Is the goal of the campaign to get iPhone users to switch or pull in people buying a smartphone for the first time?

Wallace: We're not targeting fanboys. We're not going to convert them. We're using them as a foil to target current Android users upgrading to a new phone and people entering the smartphone market for the first time.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/samsu...#ixzz1eV6fUOmX
  • Reply 89 of 273
    Do these companies ever learn anything? Never ever run ads insulting your potential customers. It's marketing 101.

The only exception would be John Hodgman who actually came across as likable.
  • Reply 90 of 273
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

BI: Is the goal of the campaign to get iPhone users to switch or pull in people buying a smartphone for the first time?

Wallace: We're not targeting fanboys. We're not going to convert them. We're using them as a foil to target current Android users upgrading to a new phone and people entering the smartphone market for the first time.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/samsu...#ixzz1eV6fUOmX

1) With that focus I think the ad really is effective. We have to remember Android-based vendors are competing against each other first and foremost.

2) It's interesting how "fanboy" isn't qualified to refer to "Apple fanboys" or "iPhone fanboys" like Wallace is saying only Apple's products have actual fans. That doesn't make Samsung look good.
  • Reply 91 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

So, not only Samsung ripped-off iPhone and got in trouble over it, they're now making ads stating it's better than iPhone.

Rumor: At CES Samsung will introduce its voice-controlled personal assistant dubbed Samsung Integrated Response Interface.
  • Reply 92 of 273
    I don't understand why apple customers continually applaud apple for taking a greater proportion of their money.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

What's the next round of commercials? Making fun of apple for having all that money?

• Reply 93 of 273
    Uh, kinda reminds me of the Microsoft commercials about people selecting a laptop computer and saying that they weren't "cool" enough to buy a Mac. Yea, those PC laptops have been flying off the shelves (not) since those series of ads were aired.

And remember the Motorola ad for the Xoom that aired during SuperBowl XLV, the one that made the not-so-subtle reference to that historic 1984 spot by Apple, except this time, Motorola is the one throwing the hammer. Except for the Motorola Xoom owner, everyone else is dressed in white, moping around like expressionless sheep. And how did those Xoom sales turn out?

Also, why in the ad didn't any of those waiting in line for the 4S ask any of the smug Samsung phone owners if their phones had SIRI?
  • Reply 94 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

I don't understand why apple customers continually applaud apple for taking a greater proportion of their money.

I don't understand why people think that money has anything to do with good products.
  • Reply 95 of 273
    Quote:

You don't understand why people like success over failure, or you don't understand why people like Apple's high quality and great service over low quality and poor service?
  • Reply 96 of 273
    Samsung is 1987 Microsoft. They can't innovate on their own ideas. They have to steal their ideas from everyone else and market them with a ton of cash.
  • Reply 97 of 273
    Quote:

Because they don't release products with an OS that's not updatable and yet old and still unfinished at the same time by the time it's released?
  • Reply 98 of 273
    And the Samsung Galaxy user said to the iPhone user: "Wouldn't you love to have a TV with a keypad to carry around in your pocket, except this beast won't fit in your pocket."

And the iPhone user says: "No thanks, I'll keep my iPhone."

It's as simple as that.

Advertising is effective when it sells an idea, a state of mind, a feeling, a bliss.

This ad by Samsung sells jealousy. It is not only a waste of money, but it does the opposite of what it should do. And they have to pay the firm that produced that crap? What a rip.
  • Reply 99 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nebrie View Post

Do these companies ever learn anything? Never ever run ads insulting your potential customers. It's marketing 101.

The only exception would be John Hodgman who actually came across as likable.

Oh no, Hodgman wasn't portraying Windows users, but generic Windows PCs. So if anything, Apple was 'insulting' Mac competitors.

The old 'Lemmings' ad did, however, end up insulting people, even if that wasn't Apple's intention (hard to see how it could not be insulting). Surprisingly it's from the same ad agency who created the '1984' and 'The Crazy Ones' ads.
  • Reply 100 of 273
    This commercial just proves that Samsung is junk. Nobody's buying them, that's why you can get them whenever you want without standing in line for it. So in making fun of people in line for the iPhone, SamSUNK just proved to the consumer that their SamJUNK devices are plentiful on the shelves collecting dust.