Should all illegal Siri iPhones be blacklisted?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I think so. I payed $200 for her. She belongs to me. If you didn't pay, then that's not fair to those of us that legally payed. I mean, you won't go into a brothel and "copy" a girl would you?

All iPhones that aren't the 4S and use Siri should be blacklisted for life.

Now you guys are gonna shred me to pieces. Discuss!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    You can't use Siri on your (meaning people, meaning other devices) without the specific code from an iPhone 4S. To do any of these modifications, you have to be an owner, anyway.

But no, there's no excuse for loading more devices onto the system when Apple doesn't want them there.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Technology like Siri needs all the love it can get. That includes all the hacks and the ports. I recently read an article about how Siri was hacked to operate a thermometer. This is the right way to evolve Siri. The users can find more uses for Siri than Apple can think of. Even the original creator of Siri had a much broader vision for Siri. The kinect is another technology I can think of that has been put to use in many more areas outside the initial domain. Microsoft is making money out of it. They released a SDK for Windows and they are selling the device for use outside the domain of the XBOX 360. Apple should be able to eventually release a licensing model for Siri for the backend processing and open up an SDK.

I think it is healthy that Siri is getting hacked.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Technology like Siri needs all the love it can get. That includes all the hacks and the ports. I recently read an article about how Siri was hacked to operate a thermometer. This is the right way to evolve Siri. The users can find more uses for Siri than Apple can think of. Even the original creator of Siri had a much broader vision for Siri. The kinect is another technology I can think of that has been put to use in many more areas outside the initial domain. Microsoft is making money out of it. They released a SDK for Windows and they are selling the device for use outside the domain of the XBOX 360. Apple should be able to eventually release a licensing model for Siri for the backend processing and open up an SDK.

I think it is healthy that Siri is getting hacked.

You do have a point. I forgot about kinect.

BUT you still have to buy the Kinect to interact with it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can't use Siri on your (meaning people, meaning other devices) without the specific code from an iPhone 4S. To do any of these modifications, you have to be an owner, anyway.

But no, there's no excuse for loading more devices onto the system when Apple doesn't want them there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

I think so. I payed $200 for her. She belongs to me. If you didn't pay, then that's not fair to those of us that legally payed. I mean, you won't go into a brothel and "copy" a girl would you?

Now you guys are gonna shred me to pieces. Discuss!

AFAIK as long as Apple keeps some sort of vetting process in place that's good enough in ensuring Siri doesn't get flooded. Which is what I imagine they are doing anyway.

But it is excellent that people are tinkering with it. I've said many times, the SDK/API for Siri being opened up to all legitimate app developers is going to fuel the next iPhone and iPad gold rush.

"Siri, run out and get some milk for me, will ya?"

"Skinny, lite or would you like beer instead? I notice you haven't been drinking much lately."

"Uhh... what the heck, beer!"

"No problem, happy to help. Thank you for shopping with SprawlMart. I'll get it delivered tomorrow"

Ah, idiocracy. One nation under... er, I mean, crushing God with their fat asses.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

BTW, u a pimp or somethin'? Sounds like u know what u talkin' bout.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

How are you being hurt when someone else manages to get Siri working on their 4 or 3GS ??

Siri on your own 4S still works just fine... in fact, you wouldn't even notice that someone else was using it, whether on a 4 or a 4S.

It would seem you're just looking for something... anything... to bitch about.

(You didn't pay $200 for Siri... you paid $200 for a new phone... one that just-so-happens to be able to run the Siri beta without any "modification".) I think it's quite likely that when Siri comes out of beta status, it'll get extended to the 4 as well (and iPads) ... even the 3GS might be able to use it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

You do have a point. I forgot about kinect.

BUT you still have to buy the Kinect to interact with it.

As opposed to what with Siri? Steal a device it can run on?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willb2064 View Post

As opposed to what with Siri? Steal a device it can run on?

No, to hack Kinect, you have connect. The same could be true of Siri, but the software was meant to be run on the 4S. I mean, Microsoft can ban your Xbox for playing a game before release date. I gotta read Apple's terms though before I go further...