Microsoft says Windows Phones have had Siri-like functionality for over a year

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Microsoft's Craig Mundie said that the iPhone's Siri voice recognition software is not new technology as a similar system has been available on the Windows Phone for over a year, and claims Apple marketed the capability to shift focus away from the iPhone 4S's lack of new features.

In an interview last week with Forbes, Microsoft Chief Research and Strategy Officer Craig Mundie said that Siri's capabilities are not Apple-specific, and notes that Windows Phone's similar "Tellme" technology has been functional for over a year.

"The Tellme facility's been in the Windows 7 phone for more than a year," Mundie said. "So I mean I just think people are infatuated with Apple announcing [Siri]."

Mundie goes on to say that Apple's marketing prowess is something that Microsoft could learn from, though he feels that the iPhone maker had to focus on the voice technology due to lack of new features on the iPhone 4S.

"In a sense, you know, many people were disappointed with [Apple's] newest phone because it wasn't a completely new thing, so the only thing they really had to hammer on was that feature," Mundie said. "Maybe we need to pick a feature and hammer on it harder."

The transition from Windows Mobile to the current Windows Phone platform has been difficult for Microsoft, said Mundie. The Redmond, Wash. tech giant had to overcome "errors" in moving from the old OS, which was targeted at enterprise users, to a new consumer driven model.

Mundie hopes that Windows Phone will become a major player in the mobile market, noting the recent partnership with Nokia is "huge" in making the the platform successful.

Craig Mundie interview with Forbes' Eric Savitz at Techonomy Conference | Source: Forbes

Comments

• Reply 1 of 144
    To be fair, Windows has terrible marketing. Especially with Windows Phone 7. That ad company should have been fired. Intially, I thought the point of the ad was to show how addicting the phone is. Only to see at teh end I would be on it less. \
  • Reply 2 of 144
    Quote:

many people were disappointed with [Apple's] newest phone because it wasn't a completely new thing

Well, now we know who's in charge of the people whining about "THE CASE DIDN'T CHANGE, THE CASE DIDN'T CHANGE. SAME PHONE. SAME PHONE."
  • Reply 3 of 144
    I'd like to see CNET or someone do a comparo of iPhone's Siri to Windows' whatever. After so many years of second-class implementation of whatever Apple does, Windows doesn't have much cred, especially right out of the gate.
  • Reply 4 of 144
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Actually, one of the main Siri engineers was quoted saying something to this effect: "AI isn't the breakthrough here, it's natural language. You can speak to Siri like a human. And she talks back like a real personality. That creates an illusion."

Yes, the grandest dreams of AI probably aren't even possible. You'll always be able to tell the difference between a computer and a human if you know where to look.

What Siri is is very good natural language recognition, and a corps of people writing her scripts. The actual "intelligence" now is limited. Answer simple questions yourself, and those without an answer, or send the user to other databases, including Google. It's enough.
  • Reply 5 of 144
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    If windows phone had this why didn't why market that into the phone. I mean when Apple announces a new phone they show how great all the features are. Microsoft never does this do they? They leave it up to the buyer to figure out what the windows phone can do.
  • Reply 6 of 144
    I am so looking forward to when Nothing Changes in a year, that will be evidence of tech finally getting its shit together.

It is at times a most absurd industry and still such a babe in the human tool set.

I've always seen the "new" thing being rather an admittance they didn't get it right yet. The hammer is one of our most advanced technologies.
  • Reply 7 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, now we know who's in charge of the people whining about "THE CASE DIDN'T CHANGE, THE CASE DIDN'T CHANGE. SAME PHONE. SAME PHONE."

That's why there are many side products for iPhone coz manufacturers have the advantage of continuity and massive fan base.

MS is just whining (much) coz even though TellMe (#why#) have been there for over a year but nobody is using it or proud of its existence. I guess TellMe is rubbish and TellMe, who else ever heard of it. This is the case of if you have it and it is good, flaunt it.

Apple never give everything all at once, there's no suspense or excitement in that.

They are as good at engineering (leave unimportant or unfinished stuffs behind) and design (aestheticity and product appeal) as much as at marketing (secrecy and media hype chipping in too).
  • Reply 8 of 144
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Microsoft's Craig Mundie said that the iPhone's Siri voice recognition software is not new technology

It's not (just) voice recognition software.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft's Craig Mundie said that the iPhone's Siri voice recognition software is not new technology as a similar system has been available on the Windows Phone for over a year, and claims Apple marketed the capability to shift focus away from the iPhone 4S's lack of new features.

???

So the correct way to market a new product is to focus only on the features carried over from the previous model (and point only these features out) and ignore the new features?

Quote:

"In a sense, you know, many people were disappointed with [Apple's] newest phone because it wasn't a completely new thing

And that really seems to have hurt sales, hasn't it?

Quote:

so the only thing they really had to hammer on was that feature," Mundie said.

See my first response above.

Quote:

Maybe we need to pick a feature and hammer on it harder."

As opposed to, "It's Windows from Microsoft. Just buy it!"

Point out features on a device to try and sell it? That would really be a novel approach, wouldn't it?
  • Reply 9 of 144
    what the guy means to say is that windows phones have had voice recognition for a year, not siri-like capabilities. to be more accurate, windows phones have had "nuance" like capabilities, which is voice rec (albeit better than window's). siri is revolutionary in that it understands plain language as opposed to a limited number of pre-scripted prompts.

my 2 cents, he's just trying to get publicity by talkin smack on Apple. everyone on these forums know that nothing spreads faster than bad news about impervious Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Actually, one of the main Siri engineers was quoted saying something to this effect: "AI isn't the breakthrough here, it's natural language. You can speak to Siri like a human. And she talks back like a real personality. That creates an illusion."

Yes, the grandest dreams of AI probably aren't even possible. You'll always be able to tell the difference between a computer and a human if you know where to look.

What Siri is is very good natural language recognition, and a corps of people writing her scripts. The actual "intelligence" now is limited. Answer simple questions yourself, and those without an answer, or send the user to other databases, including Google. It's enough.

Have you found the Eliza mode in Siri?
  • Reply 11 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

If windows phone had this why didn't why market that into the phone. I mean when Apple announces a new phone they show how great all the features are. Microsoft never does this do they? They leave it up to the buyer to figure out what the windows phone can do.

Which is the problem for most phone/eletronic makers out there. Apple tells you what to buy and what's avalible. Others make a whole bunch of stuff and say dig in.

Apple is like a nice French restraunt with a limited selection. Many other makers are like a buffet.

Steve bobs can make you think he was right....TWICE! Microsoft can certainly do the same thing, but they prefer to fill your mouth up with a lot.
  • Reply 12 of 144
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I'd like to see CNET or someone do a comparo of iPhone's Siri to Windows' whatever. After so many years of second-class implementation of whatever Apple does, Windows doesn't have much cred, especially right out of the gate.

MS's comparison of Tell Me to Siri is just wrong on every level of wrongness. It's just not well thought out in the way it's used, and video clearly demonstrated that it's functionality is limited and unfocused. It's like Siri in many general aspects, but it's the way all these technologies are put together, including good natural language support, that makes it a breakthrough the way the original iPhone was a breakthrough in world that already had smartphone and touchscreens.
  • Reply 13 of 144
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Another clueless exec from the Ballmer mold that has no clue. Sounds like a real loser.

Tellme is nothing like Siri. You cannot use natural language. You must be very specific with Tellme. It does not recognize your current location so you must specify where you are. Very limiting. I'm not saying Siri is perfect either but there is a vast difference between the two products.
  • Reply 14 of 144
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

And some people wonder why they get called trolls on this forum.

When somebody has the exact same bogus talking points that Apple's competitor's use and the same talking points that is in Samsung commercials, then you know that they are Fandroid trolls.

But it looks exactly the same, and they didn't change the number 4 to 5! The iPhone 4S is a huge flop! What a disappointment! I'm gonna get me a smooth Android phone instead because the screen is bigger and I'm too poor to afford a proper tablet !
  • Reply 15 of 144
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Those grapes are pretty sour Microsoft.

The "preaching to the choir" marketing strategy from Samsung and Microsoft is a sure sign that they are bilging customers.
  • Reply 16 of 144
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

"In a sense, you know, many people were disappointed with [Apple's] newest phone because it wasn't a completely new thing, so the only thing they really had to hammer on was that feature," Mundie said. "Maybe we need to pick a feature and hammer on it harder."

Again showing that Microsoft doesn't have a clue. How about an ad campaign that actually speaks about what your products do rather than nonsense and gimmicks? I don't think I've ever seen a Microsoft ad that I came away from with a feeling of anything other than embarrassment (for them) and a complete lack of interest.
  • Reply 17 of 144
    Quote:

"The Tellme facility's been in the Windows 7 phone for more than a year," Mundie said. "So I mean I just think people are infatuated with Apple announcing [Siri]."

My question, what do BOTH users of the Windows 7 phone think of Microsofts implementation of the feature?
  • Reply 18 of 144
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

My question, what do BOTH users of the Windows 7 phone think of Microsofts implementation of the feature?

I've tried WP7 and love it? yet didn't even know this feature existed.
  • Reply 19 of 144
    Quote:

I thought samedesigngate was put to rest along with antennagate when the iPhone 4S completely steamrolled over WP7 in sales and mindshare. Only bitter rivals would keep harking on either topic like it was still in vogue.

And Tellme should be renamed TellNoOne because that's apparently what happened to it.
  • Reply 20 of 144
    This is another example of why MS execs just don't get it - He thinks they have to study Apple's marketing.

Apple isn't eating everyone's lunch because of it's marketing. In fact, Apple's marketing up until the last few years has been practically nil. What MS clearly doesn't understand is that Apple got to where it is by producing a great User Experience. Not the best hardware, or discounts, or tricky little app, or sales pitch or by crippling the competition, but by an overall experience that ordinary people want. This is something that MS (and in fact most companies) have yet to do or even understand.