Microsoft says Windows Phones have had Siri-like functionality for over a year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Nope, I'm not a Republican. I don't belong to any political party. I am merely anti-fascist, anti-nazi and anti-liberal.

And don't believe in the false myth that only one type of people uses Apple products. Even George Bush used multiple Apple devices.

But George Bush said......"The Google". If only he had an iPad at the time, would he have been able to deflect the shoes.

But I can dig it.

I'm moderate. I change from time to time. For example, I voted for Obama but I'm heavily considering Ron Paul for prez. But I don't think I'm voting ever again.

But back to the topic, Apple will steal all your bases and make more money than you know. Marketing>Product. How can you sell something people don't know is there? I find my self finding more about Siri via commericals than me playing with Siri herself!
  • Reply 42 of 144
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

But George Bush said......"The Google".

And Obama once said that he visited the headquarters of "Twitters".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062503015.html
  • Reply 43 of 144
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Microsoft's Craig Mundie said that the iPhone's Siri voice recognition software is not new technology as a similar system has been available on the Windows Phone for over a year

Saying it doesn't make it so.

"In a sense, you know, many people were disappointed with [Apple's] newest phone because it wasn't a completely new thing, so the only thing they really had to hammer on was that feature," Mundie said. "Maybe we need to pick a feature and hammer on it harder."

Disappointed as not a completely new thing? What a maroon. Well, it's a phone, like any other. Only so much you can do with the basic design of any phone. Features are another thing entirely.

Hammer home MS features? How about:

1. The MS Office, Outlook, WIndows OS fully integrated virus proliferation platform.

2. MS bloatware

3. Clown-like icons
  • Reply 44 of 144
    Lol. I can't beleive some one in the tech biz tried to say Siri is like windows phone bing voice search. Microsoft didn't really advertise this feature because there is nothing fun about voice googling.
  • Reply 45 of 144
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    Apple sometimes take risks on features that are already available but not very popular. Voice commands have been around for awhile, even on iphones. What Apple did was improve on it, then marketed it. When consumers respond, like and actually use it, all the other manufacturers jump on the bandwagon.

If Apple brought back the stylus, all the other companies would do it too and say they've had it for years.
  • Reply 46 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And Obama once said that he visited the headquarters of "Twitters".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062503015.html

Lolz. I'mma call it Twitters from now on!
  • Reply 47 of 144
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    If Mundie actually believed in their "Siri-like" capabilities he would've been marketing the hell out of it for the last year. But he doesn't, so he didn't. Marketing by whining is not effective.
  • Reply 48 of 144
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Pathetic. How many ways can you spell fail, other than MSFT!
  • Reply 49 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Windows Phones have had Siri-like functionality for over a year

I used to ride a bicycle when I was a kid... it had 2 wheels, a seat, and a pair of handle bars. So with Microsoft's thinking, it had "motorcycle like functionality", right?
  • Reply 50 of 144
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Of course Microsoft are on the cutting edge with their partner Nokia who are about to release their new Lumia WP7 handset next year in the USA.

It features all new technology that is on the bleeding edge such as:

Single core CPU

No front facing camera

Plastic construction

dodgy buttons

720p video recording

no mobile hotspot capability

Pretty good for a phone due out soon, hope Apple can keep up with Nokia and Microsofts progress because thats one hell of a steep mountain to climb.
  • Reply 51 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHatfield View Post

I used to ride a bicycle when I was a kid... it had 2 wheels, a seat, and a pair of handle bars. So with Microsoft's thinking, it had "motorcycle like functionality", right?

Only if you had a playing card held on the fork with a clothespin to flap in the spokes.
  • Reply 52 of 144
    ...everyone is just riding Apples wake trying to eek out a living. MS, Nokia... They all are just trying to catch up. Apple does not invent most of which they bring to market, they just make it desirable because it's simple, elegant, reliable and it just works out of the box.

Every time one of their competitors (MS, Nokia...) try to come out with something Appleish they just look like idiots, they are out of there league. TellMe is a perfect example! I've never heard of it until this interview. MS obviously did not think enough of it to market it... so how am I suppose to take it seriously? seriously!

The MS store is another example... there is an Apple and MS store in the mall by my house (Park Meadows). The MS store is ~3x bigger then the Apple store but I never see even half the people in the MS store that are in the Apple store... The MS store employees usually out number the customers... It's a perfect example of MS trying to be something it's not! It's pitiful that MS seems to think that they need to copy Apple. They are not perceived as "cool" like Apple and never will be so just forget it and do what you do best!

KRR
  • Reply 53 of 144
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

And Herman Cain hasn't been inappropriate with anyone...PERIOD!

Name one guy that has never stumbled through a social relationship.

Quote:

And android is OPEN!

Doesn't manner. Androids problem is that it comes from Google and has been molded into a rip off.

Quote:

And republicans are COMPASSIONATE!

Being compassionate is counter productive if you expect to grow strong vibrant communities. excessive mounts of compassion leads to to many looking for a free ride, a free ride the rest can not support.
  • Reply 54 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

MS's comparison of Tell Me to Siri is just wrong on every level of wrongness. It's just not well thought out in the way it's used, and video clearly demonstrated that it's functionality is limited and unfocused. It's like Siri in many general aspects, but it's the way all these technologies are put together, including good natural language support, that makes it a breakthrough the way the original iPhone was a breakthrough in world that already had smartphone and touchscreens.

"Who am I?"

Siri: "You're Oh Omnipotent one, at least that's what you told me"

"Who are you?"

Siri: "I am Siri"

"Are you serous Siri?"

Siri: "Yes, I'm not allowed to be frivolous"

"Will you have a drink with me?"

Siri: "I found 16 bars fairly close to you"

"Are you hitting on me?"

Siri: "I'm sorry, Oh Omnipotent one, I can't answer that"
  • Reply 55 of 144
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drekka View Post

This is another example of why MS execs just don't get it - He thinks they have to study Apple's marketing.

Apple isn't eating everyone's lunch because of it's marketing. In fact, Apple's marketing up until the last few years has been practically nil. What MS clearly doesn't understand is that Apple got to where it is by producing a great User Experience. Not the best hardware, or discounts, or tricky little app, or sales pitch or by crippling the competition, but by an overall experience that ordinary people want. This is something that MS (and in fact most companies) have yet to do or even understand.

Actually marketing has been a huge part of why apple is dating everyone's lunch. An there isn't anything Negative about that. Apple has had fantasting marketing which other companies should envy, I'm still amazed at how poorly competitors market thier products. It matters.
  • Reply 56 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

Actually marketing has been a huge part of why apple is dating everyone's lunch. An there isn't anything Negative about that. Apple has had fantasting marketing which other companies should envy, I'm still amazed at how poorly competitors market thier products. It matters.

I like how the Galaxy S is marketed *sans that satire commercial*......

But they show like 1 commercial and that's it. They need more free publicity.
  • Reply 57 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post

"Actually marketing has been a huge part of why apple is dating everyone's lunch."

Tell me that that's just a typo and not a Freudian slip
  • Reply 58 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

"Actually marketing has been a huge part of why apple is dating everyone's lunch."

Tell me that that's just a typo and not A Freudian slip

Oreoipus Complex?
  • Reply 59 of 144
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Of course Microsoft are on the cutting edge with their partner Nokia who are about to release their new Lumia WP7 handset next year in the USA.

It features all new technology that is on the bleeding edge such as:

Single core CPU

No front facing camera

Plastic construction

dodgy buttons

720p video recording

no mobile hotspot capability

Pretty good for a phone due out soon, hope Apple can keep up with Nokia and Microsofts progress because thats one hell of a steep mountain to climb.

Can you provide me the link that says that is the phone they are releasing to the US? Because you are listing the specs of the currently available model, not an unknown model that hasn't been announced yet.
  • Reply 60 of 144
    The problem is that many consumers are stupid. Many don't research. Because of this, you have to drum up marketing and focus on key features.

I switched from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S. Siri is alright, I use it on occasion. The camera is better and the phone is faster. Not everyone needs to upgrade, but it's a better phone period.

Nothing would ever lure me back to a Microsoft product, but I don't deny that Windows Phone 7.5 certainly has its merits and might be a great phone for some. They can market to their crowd, in fact they should market better. But I like the Apple ecosystem.