Briefly: Thanksgiving malware, international iPhone 4S launches, new iPod touch ad

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
New iTunes gift certificate scam takes advantage of eager Black Friday shoppers, iPhone 4S to launch tomorrow in Colombia and India and December in Russia, while Apple releases its latest iPod touch TV commercial.

New malware phishes with fake iTunes gift certificate

As the holiday shopping season picks up, so do the number of phishing schemes preying on cash-strapped shoppers, the latest being a U.S.-targeted Black Friday email scam offering a fake $50 gift card from iTunes, according to the German language internet security blog Eleven.

Affected users receive an email claiming to be from Apple's iTunes store, and are instructed to open an attachment that supposedly contains a certificate redemption code. The attached ZIP file is actually the malware Mal/BredoZp-B, which opens a backdoor on the affected computer allowing the software to pilfer passwords and other sensitive information.

Russia will reportedly join Taiwan in a mid-December launch, with major Russian cell phone retailer Euroset saying that the device will go on sale between Dec. 5 and Dec.21, according to Prime Business News Agency.

New iPod touch commercial

Apple's latest iPod touch advertisement focuses on the new white model, which was announced alongside the iPhone 4S in early October, and highlights iOS 5 features like Facetime, iMessenger and integrated Twitter capabilities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Happy Thanksgiving to those who are worthy! I outsourced my Thanksgiving meal today and enjoyed some spicy Indian food, I'm not too crazy about turkey.

As for this malware, it's nothing to worry about. It doesn't affect Mac users at all. It's an exe file, so only Windows users are at risk.

It's also hilarious, because that is one amateurish email/malware. There are plenty of giveaways that it's not coming from Apple. Only the dumbest of the dumb could ever fall for this scam.

First of all, Apple would never be sending out any free $50 gift cards to random people.

The email contains no graphics. It's also written by an illiterate moron or a foreign crook who can't properly communicate using the English language. Apple would never send such a poorly written email. The idiot who wrote the email probably spends their other time writing Nigerian scam emails.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I outsourced my Thanksgiving meal today and enjoyed some spicy Indian food, I'm not too crazy about turkey.

Weren't you just talking about bringing jobs back to America and you decided to eat outsourced cuisine instead of locally produced cuisine?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Love the new ad. Contrast that to the new Samsung ad poking fun at iPhone users. Not that I can't be poked fun at, but this ad is definitely more likely to get people to part with their money. Funky, youthful, retro and clever.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Weren't you just talking about bringing jobs back to America and you decided to eat outsourced cuisine instead of locally produced cuisine?

I am the one who is fine with Apple products being made in China, because I recognize that there is no way that the products can be made in the USA. So, I was actually arguing the opposite.

As for outsourcing my Thanksgiving meal, the people who made it and the people who own the restaurant might be Indian, but I'm pretty sure that they are also American since they live here. So, I wasn't really outsourcing it to a foreign country. My Indian meal was locally made.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

I am the one who is fine with Apple products being made in China, because I recognize that there is no way that the products can be made in the USA. So, I was actually arguing the opposite.

Mea culpa.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Happy Thanksgiving to those who are worthy! I outsourced my Thanksgiving meal today and enjoyed some spicy Indian food, I'm not too crazy about turkey.

As for this malware, it's nothing to worry about. It doesn't affect Mac users at all. It's an exe file, so only Windows users are at risk.

It's also hilarious, because that is one amateurish email/malware. There are plenty of giveaways that it's not coming from Apple. Only the dumbest of the dumb could ever fall for this scam.

First of all, Apple would never be sending out any free $50 gift cards to random people.

Not to mention if Apple sent it they would have your Apple ID and would have applied the funds to your account already. And the email would be just to let you know that someone sent you a gift credit.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Not to mention if Apple sent it they would have your Apple ID and would have applied the funds to your account already. And the email would be just to let you know that someone sent you a gift credit.

I suspect most Apple users would not know that.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Actually, about Apple in India, I think I was unfairly blaming Apple for not showing interest in the Indian market. 2 big reasons that cripple Apple in India are:

1. So far the Government never allowed Foreign retailers to setup shop in India without a collaboration. No 100% foreign owned retail chain was allowed. That explains why Walmart, etc., have not setup shop.

2. Import Duties are pretty high - almost 30% in cases, which explains why the Apple products are priced almost 30% of what it is in the US.

The good news is that the Govt. has now decided to allow for foreign retail chains, so it looks like the ball is now in Apple's court! I am not sure what the regulations are with respect to e-commerce so not sure how it will affect Apple's online store. I hope it is possible as well.

I had also felt that if Apple could negotiate with record companies in India to provide film music online. With a lot of players, I guess it would take a while, but it is possible. Nokia used to have the option of downloading songs and even cellular service providers have their own legal online music and movie stores. I am sure Apple could look into it.

Hopefully the new Govt. decision should allow Apple to go after the other 95% here in India.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

No doubt.

One time, I had downloaded a few TV episodes from iTunes that had mismatched audio. I complained, and they responded by saying the fixed episodes have been downloaded to my computer. They PUT them on my computer while I was at work! Scary thought, but cool at the same time, and the $5 credit they applied to my account didn't hurt either.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

The email contains no graphics. It's also written by an illiterate moron or a foreign crook who can't properly communicate using the English language. Apple would never send such a poorly written email. The idiot who wrote the email probably spends their other time writing Nigerian scam emails.

I was under the impression that they're purposely written that way ( i.e. misspelled words) so as to fool spam filters keyed to look for certain word combinations. Not that that really works... maybe I'm giving them too much credit.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I was under the impression that they're purposely written that way ( i.e. misspelled words) so as to fool spam filters keyed to look for certain word combinations. Not that that really works... maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

I don't know for sure, since I don't know what goes on in the minds of those worthless criminals, but I do think that you're probably giving them too much credit. It's not so much the misspelling of words, but just really poor grammar, strange sentence structures and weak phrasing. None of the relevant words, such as iTunes or Apple were misspelled.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

I don't know for sure, since I don't know what goes on in the minds of those worthless criminals, but I do think that you're probably giving them too much credit. It's not so much the misspelling of words, but just really poor grammar, strange sentence structures and weak phrasing. None of the relevant words, such as iTunes or Apple were misspelled.

Perhaps the next scam will involve a "Nigerian prince" asking for money to take a class on grammar.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    This is the text from a notification email I received today. It was crafted so carefully I was nearly fooled in replying back with my contact info. These guys are getting better at this by the day.

"ATTN:

WE THE DEPARTMENT OF ATM OFFICE UNITED KINDOM WANT TO KNOW IF YOU ARE AWARE OF ONE (JOHN

ARCHER SLOBODIN OF 2721 RANSFORD AVENUE, APARTMENT 10, CALIFORNIA). WAS PUTTING A

CLAIM TO YOUR AWATING $1.5 MILLION UNITED STATE DOLLAS COMPENSATION OFFER TO YOU BY THE

UNITED NATION (U.N) THE FUND IN QUESTION IS ALREADY ON YOUR NAME THAT WAS CREDITED

THROUGH ATM MASTER CARD..

WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU IF YOU ARE THE ONE WHO SENT HIM TO PUT CLAIM TO THIS FUND OR NOT.

YOU ARE TO GIVE US GO AHEAD FOR THE DELIVERING OF THE FUND TO (JOHN ARCHER SLOBODIN of

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA.)

IF YOU MAY STILL INTERESTED TO RECEIVED YOUR COMPENSATION BIRTHRIGHT TO YOUR DOOR STEP

KINDLY RECONFIRM YOUR DETAILS ONCE MORE FOR IMMEDIATE DELIVERING.

1.FULL NAME.............................

2.ADDRESS WERE YOU WANT US TO SEND THE ATM CARD..........................

3.PHONE AND FAX NUMBER............................................ .........

4.YOUR AGE AND CURRENT OCCUPATION........................................ ..

5.ATTACH COPY OF YOUR IDENTIFICATION.................................... ...

HOWEVER,KINDLY CONTACT THE BELOW PERSON WHO IS IN POSITION TO RELEASE YOUR ATM PAYMENT

CARD.

REV DR.JUDE AGADA ACCOUNT OFFICER,

ATM PAYMENT DEPARTMENT

REPLY YOUR EMAIL

REGARDS

MRS SARAH GUPTA"

Be careful out there. . .
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Well, I guess I can see someone being fooled if their primary concern with money is to 'make it rain', given that this guy seems to be all about the?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

?DOLLAS?

Was it all caps in the e-mail, too? That's just precious.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Was it all caps in the e-mail, too? That's just precious.

Yup, all caps. . .

That's why it looked so important and believable.