Microsoft says Windows Phones have had Siri-like functionality for over a year

Comments

• Reply 121 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah, that list kind of misses the point (a point which is being willfully missed by many commentators). What makes Siri a breakthrough is exactly its natural language parsing. It's not what it can do, it's how it does it.

I think that Siri may have started her holiday celebration a little early...

Here's an actulal exchange from yesterday:

"How are you today, Siri?"

"Finer than frog hair, Oh Omnipotent one!"

Really happened!
  • Reply 122 of 144
    The chart in a few posts previous indicates that Siri can only play music if it is already on your phone...

That's not quite true.

I have no music stored on an iP4S but am able to play music from iCloud with some limited success...

It appears that if Siri gets a quick answer from iCloud it will work OK.

"Siri, play anything by Ray Charles"

Siri: "Looking for 'Ray Charles'...

Siri: "OK, Ray Charles coming up..."

Ray Charles: "Your cheating hear will make you weept..."

"Play anything by Flip Wilson"

Siri: "Looking for 'Flip Wilson'...

Siri: "Sorry for the delay..."

Siri: "OK, Flip Wilson coming up..."

Flip Wilson: "Everyone has idols right? People that inspired them and drove them on to greater horizons... As a kid my idol, and he's still my idol ... Of all the great American heros, my idol is Christopher Colombus..."

Flip Wilson: "Siri gonna' find Ray Charles!"

This
  • Reply 123 of 144
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The chart in a few posts previous indicates that Siri can only play music if it is already on your phone...

That's not quite true.

I have no music stored on an iP4S but am able to play music from iCloud with some limited success...

It appears that if Siri gets a quick answer from iCloud it will work OK.

So if the tracks aren't on your device then where are they? Is Siri tying into iTunes Match and then downloading that file to your local device?
  • Reply 124 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So if the tracks aren't on your device then where are they? Is Siri tying into iTunes Match and then downloading that file to your local device?

We have about 15,000 songs on iCloud...

And there is no music synched to my iP4S.

So, aparrently, Siri checks to see if my iCloud has iTuns match... Then searches it...

You get a couple second delay when it finds the match and starts the buffered download?

I just double checked... If iTunes Match is turned on for Music on the device, you aren't even given the option in iTunes to sync music... Voice memos only.

The iTunes summary for the device show no music on the device.
  • Reply 125 of 144
    Quote:

We have about 15,000 songs on iCloud...

And there is no music synched to my iP4S.

So, aparrently, Siri checks to see if my iCloud has iTuns match... Then searches it...

You get a couple second delay when it finds the match and starts the buffered download?

I just double checked... If iTunes Match is turned on for Music on the device, you aren't even given the option in iTunes to sync music... Voice memos only.

The iTunes summary for the device show no music on the device.

I'm confused. So you can never have anything locally in iPod app, it all has to wait to be downloaded before it plays?
  • Reply 126 of 144
    Quote:

I'm confused. So you can never have anything locally in iPod app, it all has to wait to be downloaded before it plays?

The download starts playing after 1-2 seconds... Or after enough is buffered. The download continues as the song is playing.

If you ask for a playlist or album, the first song starts playing, as above, then additional songs are downloaded as play continues.

Apparently the songs stay on the device (for a while or until SSD space is required). I don't know how the decision is made to purge songs.

You don't need to take my word for it... Try it for yourself... Just like I did.
  • Reply 127 of 144
    It's called a marketing campaign Microsoft try using it
  • Reply 128 of 144
    I have yet to meet a single person with a Windows phone.
  • Reply 129 of 144
    Quote:

I think that Siri may have started her holiday celebration a little early...

Here's an actulal exchange from yesterday:

"How are you today, Siri?"

"Finer than frog hair, Oh Omnipotent one!"

Really happened!

"How are you today, Tellme?"

"Please rephrase your command"

"Tellme how are you today?"

"For information about how Tellme works, please contact your administrator."

"Why does Microsoft always Tellme to contact my administrator? Is that really necessary for a consumer product?"

"Please rephrase your command"
  • Reply 130 of 144
    When Apple locked down Siri to the iPhone 4S for no good reason then I can see why he came to the assumption that the phone had nothing new. The only thing that stops Siri from going to older iPhones is one line of code that Apple put there. I can understand if Siri did not work with older models because of hardware limitations but Apple gimped Siri on purpose to sell phones. Corporate America at its finest.

Reference:

"http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/11/a-look-at-how-applidium-reverse-engineered-siris-protocol.ars";
  • Reply 131 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerbinto View Post

When Apple locked down Siri to the iPhone 4S for no good reason then I can see why he came to the assumption that the phone had nothing new. The only thing that stops Siri from going to older iPhones is one line of code that Apple put there. I can understand if Siri did not work with older models because of hardware limitations but Apple gimped Siri on purpose to sell phones. Corporate America at its finest.

Reference:

"http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/11/a-look-at-how-applidium-reverse-engineered-siris-protocol.ars";

More of this crap? Siri has HW limitations that make it a poor choice to add to 120 million iOS based devices at once. Put down your torch and pitchfork and think about it.
  • Reply 132 of 144
    I posted this to another thread:

Quote:

I've been experimenting using Siri to find and play music from iTunes Match on iCloud.

After a few false starts, it works quite well (though, in the US, Siri seems to understand Castillian Spanish better than Mexican Spanish).

Long story, short!

I predict that Apple will make Siri available on every device that can support it ASAP!

Why?

Let me illustrate:

"Siri play something by'Sheena Melwani"

Siri: "Looking for 'Sheena Melwani'..."

Siri: "You don't have anything by 'Sheena Melwani' in your music.

----> This is where the dialog ends ... In the present beta.

Here's the obvious continuation of the above conversation:

Siri: "I found 2 Albums and 21 songs by 'Sheena Melwani' in the iTunes Music Store. Would you like to preview them?"

Why? I'll tell you why... Because Siri can buy things for you!

Edit: Kinda makes you want Siri on your TV too...

• Reply 133 of 144
    Quote:

More of this crap? Siri has HW limitations that make it a poor choice to add to 120 million iOS based devices at once. Put down your torch and pitchfork and think about it.

Name your source that says it has hardware limitations.
  • Reply 134 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerbinto View Post

Name your source that says it has hardware limitations.

It's server and bandwidth limitstions...

Apple learned from its MobileMe rollout:

Don't try to deliver everything to everybody at the same time.

Likely, there are 100 million pre-iPhone 4S iDevices capable of running Siri.

Apple's Siri servers were overloaded with 1/25th of that many iPhone 4S sales in the 1st weekend.

104 million iDevices hitting Siri's servers would have brought them to their knees...

Not to mention 100 million iDevices upgrading to iOS 5, immediately, just so they could access Siri (had it been included for other than the iP4S)..

There is a reason that Eddie Cue was promoted to SVP!
  • Reply 135 of 144
    Quote:

It's server and bandwidth limitstions...

Apple learned from its MobileMe rollout:

Don't try to deliver everything to everybody at the same time.

Likely, there are 100 million pre-iPhone 4S iDevices capable of running Siri.

Apple's Siri servers were overloaded with 1/25th of that many iPhone 4S sales in the 1st weekend.

104 million iDevices hitting Siri's servers would have brought them to their knees...

Not to mention 100 million iDevices upgrading to iOS 5, immediately, just so they could access Siri (had it been included for other than the iP4S)..

There is a reason that Eddie Cue was promoted to SVP!

I thought giving him the clue of "120 million iOS based device" would have prevented his silly response.

I don't get how these people function but there comments are common enough. They know there is a server aspect to Siri, that the voice packets are offloaded to a server to be parsed and the results of the query are sent back to the user's device, yet they also seem oblivious that the server and bandwidth are HW and have very real limitations. Limitations that were brought to the brink with 4 million iPhone 4Ses the first weekend, yet for some myopic reason having 120 million iOS-based devices Beta testing Siri all at the same time shouldn't be an issue because "it's only one line of code."
  • Reply 136 of 144
    Quote:

ve been experimenting using Siri to find and play music from iTunes Match on iCloud.

After a few false starts, it works quite well (though, in the US, Siri seems to understand Castillian Spanish better than Mexican Spanish).

Long story, short!

I predict that Apple will make Siri available on every device that can support it ASAP!

[…]

Why? I'll tell you why... Because Siri can buy things for you!

Edit: Kinda makes you want Siri on your TV too...

I think it's certainly possible. The opportunity to 1) data mine their users is too great a resource, while 2) keeping Google et al. from getting access to these resources is very valuable.

The problem will depend on when the service could possibly be feasible to roll out for more devices. I expect the next iPad will get Siri access, but backing it up to old devices means a lot of backend has to be added and well vetted, and with the growth rate of iPhone and iPad sales that might simply not be feasible before those devices have run their upgrade cycles.
  • Reply 137 of 144
    Quote:

I thought giving him the clue of "120 million iOS based device" would have prevented his silly response.

I don't get how these people function but there comments are common enough. They know there is a server aspect to Siri, that the voice packets are offloaded to a server to be parsed and the results of the query are sent back to the user's device, yet they also seem oblivious that the server and bandwidth are HW and have very real limitations. Limitations that were brought to the brink with 4 million iPhone 4Ses the first weekend, yet for some myopic reason having 120 million iOS-based devices Beta testing Siri all at the same time shouldn't be an issue because "it's only one line of code."

Yeah... Most people have trouble visualizing 4 million of anything ... Let alone 100-120 million.

Maybe this will help:

Think of what would happen to the water supply if all the urinals in New York City were flushed at the same instant in time...

No need to worry about the water supply... You'll be up to your ears in piss, first!
  • Reply 138 of 144
    Quote:

Yeah... Most people have trouble visualizing 4 million of anything ... Let alone 100-120 million.

Maybe this will help:

Think of what would happen to the water supply if all the urinals in New York City were flushed at the same instant in time...

No need to worry about the water supply... You'll be up to your ears in piss, first!

I seem to get to New York just after that has happened all over the streets.
  • Reply 139 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Microsoft's Craig Mundie said that the iPhone's Siri voice recognition software is not new technology as a similar system has been available on the Windows Phone for over a year, and claims Apple marketed the capability to shift focus away from the iPhone 4S's lack of new features.

Craig Mundie interview with Forbes' Eric Savitz at Techonomy Conference | Source: Forbes

It is really sad to see how a formally great company has so badly lost the plot. Microsoft's hubris is amazing leading them to repeatedly make ridiculous comments and claims about Apple.

Siri totally trounces Tellme in this head to head comparison. See the video:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHouk...ature=youtu.be

Remember Ballmer's first reaction to the iPhone. He laughed at it and sneered that he much preferred Microsoft's mobile strategy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eywi0h_Y5_U

He said that the iPhone would never appeal to business customers - the iPhone now has 45% of the enterprise market!

And remember how Microsfft claimed they were going to bury the iPhone and even organised a mock funeral for it when they launched WP7. At that time windows mobile had 7% smartphone market share and iDC and Gartner claimed they would push the iPhone into 3rd place.

Since then Windows Mobile has sunk like a stone with market share dropping to less than 2%.
  • Reply 140 of 144
    Quote:

Maybe this will help:

MSFT demonstrates its superiority here : No similar risk with Windows Phones ...