Hitach & Sony working with Apple on 4-inch iOS device, iPad 4 to see new display technology

Comments

• Reply 41 of 108
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The 3GS is not going to be deprecated.

Never?
  • Reply 42 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I think the original iPad was also considered a disappointment (no camera, lack of ports, etc.). I doubt that there is anything Apple can come out with that will exceed expectations or won't be a disappointment. Apple is being set up by the media and Wall Street as a company that underachieves. I'm not saying the company is underachieving, I'm saying that that's how it's being made to look for investors..

Wrong. Apple IS already exceeding Wall Street's expectations, to wit, they are selling all the iDevices they can make. I doubt that accomplishment is going to change anytime soon.

Quote:

Since most Android smartphones have rather limited production runs, vendors can put in all sorts of the latest tech and if it doesn't work, so what. They'll cut that model and add some features to another smartphone. Apple doesn't have that luxury and has to play it on the conservative side with the iPhone. So, almost anything the iPhone comes up with will be something that some Android smartphone will already have and then the Apple product will be considered disappointing to the tech critics and media

Patently wrong. The "latest tech" is not what Apple's products have ever been about. Apple builds "insanely great" devices that people want to buy and love to use. Been that way since 1976.

You must be one of those tech critics.
  • Reply 43 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple TV remote.

Now you're just doing it on purpose.

and connct that to land lines...
  • Reply 44 of 108
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm sure each and ever person on these forums has his own reasons but here are some of mine:
    1. Display technology is a very interesting industry! Something's first come to light in these forums. Leaks and all!

2. It allows one to adjust future buying plans.

3. One goal in the industry is a flexible display durable enough to be foldable like a book. Or alternatively rolled up like a sheet of paper. Such displays could make for extremely interesting iOS devices.

4. Improved display technology can lead to longer battery life.

Quote:

And the point of talking about something that's beyond what is most recently new and doesn't even exist yet is??

Bringing up new production lines is very interesting in and of itself. However the big benefit to the community here is that such discussions teach people that new stuff doesn't happen over night. One big issue in this forum is the expectation of some that Apple can instantly introduce the newest technologies over night. This is seldom the case, just putting a new chip on a motherboard takes a lot of effort.

One good example here is Thunderbolt/Lightpeak. We heard about this tech years ago and it has yet to achieve widespread adoption. Certainly cost is an issue there but the bigger issue is that you can't deliver a new product over night even if you have the chips in hand. Some are still whining about the lack of available TB technology, the rest of us just see these people as uninformed.

So yeah discussions about future technology is useful. If nothing else it alerts people to the efforts involved in manufacturing stuff. If you only experience manufactured goods from the consumer end you often don't appreciate that people put in a lot of work getting their widgets on the shelf.

Quote:

I mean, if they were going to push up the 'new display technology' from the 4 to the 3, sure, but why be concerned with this when it's very irrelevant to iPad 3 display production?

If for nothing else it prevents people who buy an iPad 3 from having any basis to say something to the effect that "Apple sucks because they outdated my iPad 3 in one year". I've never understood that mentality anyways, the auto companies come out with new cars and revisions every year and nobody complains that they suck because their car just got radically revised.

In any event having an idea of what to expect in future machines is interesting in and of its self.

Quote:

Having said that, I think Intel should just forget about everything between here and Skymont and just jump to that.

OK why are you interested in Intels future offerings and not display technology? On the face of it you seem to have a selective curiosity. That isn't bad mind you but I wonder how you can mentally justify pulling a discussion about future display technology off track by bringing up another totally unrelated to iPad technology that is way out there?

Do you see what I mean here!
  • Reply 45 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

What will Apple use a 4 inch display for? A new iTouch?

I kinda think the writing is on the wall here. At the last iPod event they didn't rev the Touch at all except to lower the price. That leads me with the impression that they intend to introduce a slightly more expensive model in the future. Maybe one with more gaming features embedded in it.

Of course a bigger iPhone is a nice idea for us old farts.

Other possibilities exist including remotes for Apple TVs, in car optimized devices and other goodies.
  • Reply 46 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Sure, it's a world where you can't keep changing the display size or resolution at will the way Apple did with the iPod Nano, but after the 3GS gets deprecated so there is only one resolution for the 3.5" display size to develop for, adding a 4" size with or without the same resolution as the current iPhone, would be possible. Devs would need some time to optimize their apps, but I don't think a 4" 960x640 display in the hands of customers for a couple months would deter too many buyers, especially if this was the size they were planning on sticking with for many years. I would end up just being a blip on the radar the way the less-than-ideal 480x320 apps looked on the iPhone 4.

Except this will never happen.

Apple is far too deliberate in their moves. They don't introduce a new screen size because "the market demands it," they don't actually care what people want in that sense at all.

To put it in an English way ... Apple decides first what is the "proper" size for the screen and then makes it, and sells it irrespective of what people tell them they want.

If they end up moving to a 4" screen size it will be because they decided for very valid, logical reasons that this is the "proper" size now and that 3.5 screens are no longer the proper size for a hand held screen. They will never make some 3.5, and some 4 inch screens on the idea that some people like them smaller or bigger. If they were going to do that, they would make iPads and iPhones in multiple sizes from the start as it's fairly clear that different people have different sized hands. They don't do that, they almost never have with any of their products.

The only product they make where screen size really varies at all is laptops and that might be more out of convention than anything else since *everyone* in the business does that and has since the beginning. Even with desktops which they originally offered in multiple sizes, they now offer in two only. ACD's used to be in three sizes and now they only offer one.

Apple *may* move to a 4" screen size based on whatever unknown calculation they do on what's best, but it's really very very unlikely they will ever offer more than one single screen size for the iPhone and since they've best that one size to be 3.5" for the life of the product so far, odds are it will remain so.
  • Reply 47 of 108
    I would switch to a device with a slightly larger screen in a heartbeat.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lacticburn View Post

MacBooks would be Perfect candidates for a 4 inch multitouch display. Imagine a trackpad that had a retina display that you could interact with even more.

Apple would never make a 4 inch screen portable device. It's too big for one hand to use and to small for two hands to use.

Non-sense! The device might not end all that mich larger than the current iOS devices

Quote:

Take it from me; a hard core industrial designer.

APPLE WILL NEVER MAKE A 4 INCH IOS DEVICE.

a 4 inch multitouch retina display trackpad?

HECK YA!

A track pad might be a possibility, but your discounting a larger iOS device is I'll informed and frankly garbage. No one without inside info can say what Apple has planned.
  • Reply 48 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Ideally the new displays would be for the iPod Touch and iPhone. If Apple is taking quantity of 4" displays now then I don't know what that means. An iPhone 5 coming soon?

Definitely too small for a mini-iPad. Maybe these will be the remotes for the new Apple branded televisions. You get a 4" iPod Touch with every television.

It is fun to speculate, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Except the article is almost certainly wrong or exaggerated.

At this point in the product cycle, there is no way in hell that these parts are actually pre-production parts produced in volume. Despite what the sources say, these are almost certainly tests of the kinds of parts Apple *might* want to buy from these folks and produced in very small numbers.

With the next iPad at least 8 months away and the next iPhone 11 months away there is no way in hell these are actually parts that are going to go into an active production line for those products.

To believe this story, you have to believe that there is a new iPad or iPhone in the first quarter or very early second quarter 2012. This isn't likely at all. This is just a couple of companies that *hope* to get business out of Apple, leaking the fact that they have made some pre-production parts for them.
  • Reply 49 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

No one called the 4S a failure. They said it was a disappointment. Not the same.

It really doesn't matter what words or phrases they use, the reality is anybody dismissing the iPhone 4S for lack of new technology is just plain ignorant!
  • Reply 50 of 108
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

No one called the 4S a failure.

No, I recall distinctly that they all called it a failure.
  • Reply 51 of 108
    Quote:

What about all of the app developers? They would have to re-adjust all of their apps to fit a new display. This could make a lot of developers mad.

Apple doesn't need such developers!!!!!!

Seriously what sort of developer would get mad about having more devices to put their software on? Besides that many apps would not need much in the way of updating if written properly. If they aren't written in accordance with Apples guidelines then Apple doesn't need those developers either.

Quote:

Your 2nd point makes sense. Also a track pad with a display could stimulate MacBook pro sales again, and they could simply leave the air with its traditional trackpad.

• Reply 52 of 108
    Quote:

MacBooks would be Perfect candidates for a 4 inch multitouch display. Imagine a trackpad that had a retina display that you could interact with even more. ... a 4 inch multitouch retina display trackpad?

HECK YA!

I'm not so sure about this. Have you ever used a Nintendo DS?

It's seriously confusing and distracting to have to move your eyes and attention from one screen to the other. With the current trackpad setup, the trackpad moves the cursor but you never have to take your eyes off the screen. This is similar to a mouse or keyboard or any other input device.

The minute you have to look at the trackpad, (or keyboard or mouse), it's a bad experience. Your attention is divided and the extra display of the smaller screen doesn't really help things much.
  • Reply 53 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I know, I know, and here is something from the original Japanese story, the true interpretaion of which will drive everybody here crazy.

"This source told additionally, because structure of LCD for iPad 4 will be changed fundamentally, Taiwanese company providing LCD technology faces to decision of changing production process."

Clearly [only some sarcasm] they're referring to an autostereoscopic, glasses-free 3D display for the iPad 4. That means we don't have to rush into making 3D movies for the iPad just now. But people interested in stereo movie making should be getting ready for the big event, when Apple shows how it should be done on the display end, only one year and a few months from now.

A change in the production process could mean a lot of things. For example they iChat try printing the displays just like magazines are printed. This could lead to dramatically lower display costs and thus far cheaper iPads.

That is just one possibility among many. It is a jump to conclude that this means 3D displays are coming. It is a bigger jumps to think that such displays will be well accepted buy the general public. Just as 3D movies often lead a lot to be desired in the theater so to will a 3D display frustrate people.
  • Reply 54 of 108
    Quote:

These tech blogs can be annoying as hell though.

While I'll admit I was underwhelmed by the KEYNOTE I don't see how you can be underwhelmed by the device...especially since the only real "complaint" is that it looked the same.

You do realize that every executive on stage realized that it was Steve's last hours on earth? It would not be a misstatement to say that their minds where occupied with other things.

In any event looking close to the same is a big feature for many of us. There is nothing more disgusting than people demanding a format change just for the hell of it.
  • Reply 55 of 108
    Quote:

When the iPhone 6 comes out, it will.

It is the second hottest selling iPhone out there. Frankly I think the iPhones 4s are still to expensive to fill its shoes.
  • Reply 56 of 108
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

A change in the production process could mean a lot of things. For example they iChat try printing the displays just like magazines are printed. This could lead to dramatically lower display costs and thus far cheaper iPads.

That is just one possibility among many. It is a jump to conclude that this means 3D displays are coming. It is a bigger jumps to think that such displays will be well accepted buy the general public. Just as 3D movies often lead a lot to be desired in the theater so to will a 3D display frustrate people.

You are right, it is a jump, totally, but a logical one.

Those who don't like the 3D will be able to switch it off. But Pixar and others who are pushing the art form will need a portable platform. It's not going to be best realized on a laptop. Theoretically, a tablet would be ideal for individual 3D viewing.

Scorcese's new movie shows that we're just beginning to see 3D taken seriously as an art form.
  • Reply 57 of 108
    [insult removed]
  • Reply 58 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It is the second hottest selling iPhone out there. Frankly I think the iPhones 4s are still to expensive to fill its shoes.

Your logic doesn't parse?

The 3GS was the second-best selling phone. The iPhone 4 was the best-selling phone.

Now the 4S is in the 4's place and the 4 is in the 3GS' place. The iPhone 4S isn't on track to be the second-best, supplanting the 3GS, it's on track to be the best-selling, supplanting the iPhone 4.

The dynamic does change given that the 3GS remains for free, but I would think it's obvious that the 4S will become the best-selling phone, the 4 the second-best, and the 3GS the third.
  • Reply 59 of 108
    Quote:

What about all of the app developers? They would have to re-adjust all of their apps to fit a new display. This could make a lot of developers mad.

Not really. They can scale up iPhone apps just they do to the apps when it's on the ipad
  • Reply 60 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Not really. They can scale up iPhone apps just they do to the apps when it's on the ipad

That's not a valid solution. That's a cop-out.