Best Buy airs TV ads promoting itself as the source for Apple products

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
US retailer Best Buy is running new TV ads promoting the chain and its "store within a store" Apple displays as the place to buy Macs, iPads and iPhones.

The new ads depict a sales associate demonstrating FaceTime on an iPad to a woman, who replies "that is so cool. I didn't know you guys had all the Apple products. My family is going to flip out."

The sales agent adds "I guess Santa better watch his back!"

The customer laughs, then answers, "Yep!" Followed by a scene showing Santa Claus adding gifts to the customer's Christmas tree before noticing a variety of Apple products already presented as gifts, including a MacBook Pro, A MacBook Air, an Apple TV and iPad and iPhones.

The lights come up and Santa turns to the woman, seated nearby, who picks up the glass of milk left for Santa and drinks it menacingly. "Game on, Santa," the titles read.

"All the hottest Apple gifts, and the professionals to help," a voiceover announces, as iPad, MacBook and iPhone are displayed. "At Best Buy."

The Best Buy logo is depicted with the tagline "Everything Apple. At Best Buy."

Apple pioneered the concept of store within a store marketing before entering the retail business itself ten years ago. It not only became a major retailer of electronics, but also introduced very attractive "Genius Bar" support services to help consumers feel comfortable with their purchases.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    This title in no way reflects the content.

Or, rather, it alludes to WAY, WAY, WAY more than the content does.

Best Buy's saying neither "We make Apple products!" nor "We're the only place to get Apple products!"
  • Reply 2 of 54
    Everything this guy posts reads like an Apple PR statement.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    If you think Foxconn conditions are bad, check out the North Pole.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This title in no way reflects the content.

Or, rather, it alludes to WAY, WAY, WAY more than the content does.

Best Buy's saying neither "We make Apple products!" nor "We're the only place to get Apple products!"

Yeah, it seems like they're just trying to say "We are a source of Apple products" not "the source". There are some people who don't realize you can get the majority of Apple's products at Best Buy, and since they can be a high driver of traffic, Best Buy wants to get those people to know to get them in their stores.

I thought the commercial was pretty funny, tbh.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Apple pioneered the concept of store within a store

Wait. Bloomingdale's was avalible in 1860. Apple is over 100 years old?! OMG! Wait a sec, that totally means Gamecrazy WASN'T a store within Holywood Video. MIND TOTALY BLOWN.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nobodyy View Post

yeah, it seems like they're just trying to say "we are a source of apple products" not "the source". There are some people who don't realize you can get the majority of apple's products at best buy, and since they can be a high driver of traffic, best buy wants to get those people to know to get them in their stores.

I thought the commercial was pretty funny, tbh.

But you can't bee seen in a Best Buy store. I want to go into an Apple store with my Coach man purse, shopping bags from Nordstrom and Starbucks coffee!
  • Reply 7 of 54
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Commercial wasn't funny. They need more midgets and farting.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

But you can't bee seen in a Best Buy store. I want to go into an Apple store with my Coach man purse, shopping bags from Nordstrom and Starbucks coffee!

I am louder than you!
  • Reply 9 of 54
    No you're not. Oh, wait....
  • Reply 10 of 54
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Local Best Buy doesn't stock any Macs.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

Yeah exactly. Not all BestBuy stores stock Apple products. In fact very little of them do. To me it doesn't matter anyways. I'd much rather go into an Apple Retail Store instead. I hate BestBuy with a passion and their pushy salesmen who don't know $hit about computers and try to sell you gimmicks you don't need. I think BestBuy is just trying to cash in on high Apple sales, but once people see their local BestBuy doesn't stock Apple products it will fail except buying something like an iPad.

I guess the only thing I could see them doing was only air the commercial in areas what do have an Apple section (Macs) in that particular store.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTac View Post

Well, Apple did once open an Apple Store in downtown Austin that didn't sell any Macs, iPhones, or iPods. Just iPads. An iPad only store.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    It's a good ad. Not gaudy, loud, over done cheesy junk. Just good. Also nice to be able to see the video right on the iPad without FLASH!
  • Reply 14 of 54
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Three times I attempted to buy Apple products there, an iMac, MBA, and a Time Capsule. Each and every separate time I tried at multiple stores to purchased anything, there was never anyone at the Apple booth, and those that were wandering around would that I would ask was of no help at all.

Sorry, but Best buy lost that part of my business long ago. I go there mainly to buy regular stuff and leave the major purchases to the Apple store itself.

Best Buy has a major customer-service image problem.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I never thought I would see the day. Went in to my local Best Buy store across the river from St. Louis. I purposely went over to the "other" tablets counter and started looking at the Xoom and Samsung. A sales droid comes up and starts asking me questions about what I was looking for. I tell him I'm trying to decide what to buy. Then he actually steers me over to the iPad display and tells me the iPad is the best for the money, is easier to use, and has all the apps. I simply cannot believe what I am hearing. I have been in and out of this Best Buy for years and this place has always been a shill for anything but Apple. I don't think it was a fluke as there were lots of people milling around the Apple store-within-a-store and all the floor clerks were happily espousing the brand.

Was I in some sort of Best Buy RDF?
  • Reply 16 of 54
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    So much for us enjoying your ban.

I'd be curious to know how many of the Best Buys out there have the Apple booth. I know the one close to me in Louisville does, altho we have 2 o 3 Best Buys and I haven't been to the others in quite awhile. Best Buy is more places than the APple Store, so for many people Best Buy really would be their source for Apple products if they wanted to see them in person first.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Yeah exactly. Not all BestBuy stores stock Apple products. In fact very little of them do. To me it doesn't matter anyways. I'd much rather go into an Apple Retail Store instead. I hate BestBuy with a passion and their pushy salesmen who don't know $hit about computers and try to sell you gimmicks you don't need. I think BestBuy is just trying to cash in on high Apple sales, but once people see their local BestBuy doesn't stock Apple products it will fail except buying something like an iPad.

I guess the only thing I could see them doing was only air the commercial in areas what do have an Apple section (Macs) in that particular store.

I agree, I was few times in Best Buy and I was laughing one time my ass as the salesman was trying to convince parents of one girl into Apple laptop only if they buy Microsoft Office as essential, because "if your daughter is using Windows at school now she needs this, it's the same as Windows so she'll know what to do".
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Best Buy is a vile company which indulges in unethical marketing practices.

Apple really ought to get out of bed with that syphilitic whore.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I don't have any problems with Best Buy besides this one really obese and rude salesgirl who worked at a local Best Buy and who I'm pretty sure was a lesbian with an attitude. No way would any males ever be interested in that thing. Even though most of the salespeople at Best Buy are obviously totally clueless and nobody should ever listen to their advice, as long as the price is alright, then buying from Best Buy is fine. Nobody should go shopping for electronics, if they don't already know precisely what they're looking for.

During the recent hard drive shortage (because of the Thailand floods), I headed on over to a local Best Buy and scored a 3 TB Seagate for $100, the last one they had in stock. A few days later, I saw it online for $75, so I went back to Best Buy and they gave me $25 back.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

So much for us enjoying your ban.

I'd be curious to know how many of the Best Buys out there have the Apple booth. I know the one close to me in Louisville does, altho we have 2 o 3 Best Buys and I haven't been to the others in quite awhile. Best Buy is more places than the APple Store, so for many people Best Buy really would be their source for Apple products if they wanted to see them in person first.

People can't take a joke. (That was't an Ad hominem as I didn't attack any Apple Insiders or individual person, I just did what Samsung did...but I was less of a prick with it).