75% of Apple stores sold out of iPhone 4S on Black Friday, iPad sales up 68%

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's Black Friday sales were a resounding success according to two separate accounts, which revealed that most of the company's retail stores sold out of the iPhone 4S on the biggest shopping day of the year.

Analyst Chris Whitmore with Deutsche Bank and his team of analysts checked with more than 200 stores on Black Friday to assess demand for Apple products, including the iPhone, iPad and Mac lineup. His checks included about 100 Apple retail stores and more than 100 AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, Best Buy, Walmart and Target stores.

He found that about 75 percent of Apple retail stores polled were completely sold out of the iPhone 4S by the end of the day on Black Friday, which is the day after Thanksgiving in the U.S. But Apple had restocked many of those stores by Saturday, as follow-up calls found that just 30 percent of Apple's stores remained sold out of the iPhone 4S.

At AT&T stores, Whitmore found that about 50 percent were sold out over the weekend as the carrier struggled to meet heavy demand. Stock-outs also occurred nationwide at Verizon, while Sprint was said to have had adequate inventory to keep up with demand.

Separately, Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray also polled Apple's retail stores on Black Friday, and discovered that iPad sales per hour were 68 percent higher than they were a year ago. He said the numbers support his projection of 13.5 million iPad units to be sold in Apple's December quarter.

Stores tracked by Munster sold an average of 14.8 iPads per hour, which was up from the 8.8 iPads sold per hour at Apple's retail stores on Black Friday in 2010.

Munster also tracked Mac sales at an average of 10.1 per hour, up 23 percent from Black Friday 2010. He also remains confident in a projected 5.2 million Mac sales in the holiday quarter.

Whitmore also found strong iPad and Mac sales in his own surveys, and in particular noted that consumers showed strong support for Apple's thin-and-light MacBook Air. He said the entry-level 11.6-inch MacBook Air, aided by a 10 percent discount on Black Friday, was the most popular option in the MacBook Air lineup lineup.

As for the iPad, Whitmore said retail employees indicated that consumers tend to be gravitating toward higher-capacity models. For example, he received a few comments that the most popular model is the 32GB version, which has twice the storage of the entry-level 16GB iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    What are the trolls going to do when the quarterly is reported in January. Their view that everything Apple is crumbling and disintegrating now that Steve is gone will be absolutely crushed.

Oh well, I guess they can still hold onto the line that Steve was alive for the first 5 days of the quarter and therefore the reason why Apple did so well.
  • Reply 2 of 85
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

What are the trolls going to do when the quarterly is reported in January. Their view that everything Apple is crumbling and disintegrating now that Steve is gone will be absolutely crushed.

Oh well, I guess they can still hold onto the line that Steve was alive for the first 5 days of the quarter and therefore the reason why Apple did so well.

Not at all. They'll simply repeat the same thing they've been saying for 10 years:

"Sure, Apple did OK because all the sheeple bought their products last quarter, but now that the sheeple have bought new computers, Apple's future is bleak. After all, they only sell overpriced, niche, toy computers".

See? Good troll comments are timeless. No need to come up with anything new - just copy and paste indefinitely.
  • Reply 3 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Oh they'll be happy to read somewhere that LaserWriter sales are really bad

You do realize that quoting a partial quote without saying it is edited and out of context is now officially considered OK?

OMG jragost said this ...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

"Sure, Apple did OK because all the sheeple bought their products last quarter, but now that the sheeple have bought new computers, Apple's future is bleak. After all, they only sell overpriced, niche, toy computers".

• Reply 4 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Separately, Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray also polled Apple's retail stores on Black Friday, and discovered that iPad sales per hour were 68 percent higher than they were a year ago.

Given that Apple is notoriously quiet about giving out sales and stock numbers, especially on the store number, I don't trust anything that Munster says.

Also, the folks with any sense of how tech works know that we'll have to wait until like 2015 before we have Apple products that Steve didn't have a hand on at least the drawing stage. And even then there might be touches of Steve still floating around.
  • Reply 5 of 85
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

OMG jragost said this ...

He really hates Apple, doesn't he?¡
  • Reply 5 of 85
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Given that Apple is notoriously quiet about giving out sales and stock numbers, especially on the store number, I don't trust anything that Munster says.

Also, the folks with any sense of how tech works know that we'll have to wait until like 2015 before we have Apple products that Steve didn't have a hand on at least the drawing stage. And even then there might be touches of Steve still floating around.

I bet that 2015 is more like 2020!
  • Reply 7 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Well that didn't last long. What? Four posts in for the first naysayer?

Dude, I truly hope in your real life you don't go around pointing all the negatives you see (but aren't necessarily true).
  • Reply 8 of 85
    Quote:

iPad sales per hour were 68 percent higher than they were a year ago.

However, Apple seems to be losing its luster with buyers as RIM's PlayBook sold three units in less than 2 seconds in a Best Buy in northwestern New Hampshire. Jackass McPherson, an analyst with Past Participle, has placed a Sell rating on Apple stock.
  • Reply 9 of 85
    I suppose this is one advantage to shifting iPhone launches to October - Black Friday in the US and Christmas are within the first two months or so of the product's cycle.

I have to wonder though: is this a permanent shift, or will we be back to July for the next iPhone?
  • Reply 10 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

I suppose this is one advantage to shifting iPhone launches to October - Black Friday in the US and Christmas are within the first two months or so of the product's cycle.

I have to wonder though: is this a permanent shift, or will we be back to July for the next iPhone?

My guess... back to June announcement... sales shortly thereafter.
  • Reply 11 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

After all, they only sell overpriced, niche, toy computers".

I think tablets should be a bigger seller as a gift this season. More so than phones. We hear how the iPad is increasingly being deployed as a professional software platform, however a close friend of mine just bought a couple Kindle Fires for her two kids age 4 and 5. There are several children's word and numbers games available for it and the small size is better for kids as well. So maybe the Fire is the new toy computer. At $200 it may sell a lot better than I thought. Kids don't really take care of things so if they break it, it is not such a loss either.
  • Reply 12 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think tablets should be a bigger seller as a gift this season. More so than phones. We hear how the iPad is increasingly being deployed as a professional software platform, however a close friend of mine just bought a couple Kindle Fires for her two kids age 4 and 5. There are several children's word and numbers games available for it and the small size is better for kids as well. So maybe the Fire is the new toy computer. At $200 it may sell a lot better than I thought. Kids don't really take care of things so if they break it, it is not such a loss either.

As far as kids are concerned, the educational software available on the iPad is the best there is and much of it works on the iPhone/iPod as well... do not have to pay extra to install in all the devices registered to me (5 max). There are cases that make the iPad child proof (almost!). Take a look at the Visual Body software.
  • Reply 13 of 85
    Quote:

Apple's Black Friday sales were a resounding success according to two separate accounts, which revealed that most of the company's retail stores sold out of the iPhone 4S on the biggest shopping day of the year.

At AT&T stores, Whitmore found that about 50 percent were sold out over the weekend as the carrier struggled to meet heavy demand. Stock-outs also occurred nationwide at Verizon, while Sprint was said to have had adequate inventory to keep up with demand.

Separately, Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray also polled Apple's retail stores on Black Friday, and discovered that iPad sales per hour were 68 percent higher than they were a year ago. He said the numbers support his projection of 13.5 million iPad units to be sold in Apple's December quarter.

Stores tracked by Munster sold an average of 14.8 iPads per hour, which was up from the 8.8 iPads sold per hour at Apple's retail stores on Black Friday in 2010.

Munster also tracked Mac sales at an average of 10.1 per hour, up 23 percent from Black Friday 2010. He also remains confident in a projected 5.2 million Mac sales in the holiday quarter.

These numbers prove Apple is still selling all the iDevices and Macs it can possibly make. That's quite an accomplishment - actually - that's an outstanding job guys. Carry on.
  • Reply 14 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

These numbers prove Apple is still selling all the iDevices and Macs it can possibly make. That's quite an accomplishment - actually - that's an outstanding job guys. Carry on.

Evidence from every recent product launch would indicate that some of this "shortage" is planned, contributing to the scarcity value of Apple products. It's beyond a reasonable belief to think that one of the best product-management companies in the world would always run out of new products with days of their release. No, this isn't evidence that Apple is selling every device it can possible make. It's chosen to use scarcity as a marketing tactic. Smart too, since potential buyers may be willing to pay a bit more than they otherwise might, believing if they don't buy it now they may not find it later.
  • Reply 15 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Evidence from every recent product launch would indicate that some of this "shortage" is planned, contributing to the scarcity value of Apple products. It's beyond a reasonable belief to think that one of the best product-management companies in the world would always run out of new products with days of their release. No, this isn't evidence that Apple is selling every device it can possible make. It's chosen to use scarcity as a marketing tactic. Smart too, since potential buyers may be willing to pay a bit more than they otherwise might, believing if they don't buy it now they may not find it later.

Yeah, brilliant strategy to not sell a product and potentially lose a customer to a competitor¡ Fucking brilliant!

Let's examine what you're saying. You're saying that "it's beyond a reasonable belief" that 4 million smartphones being sold in a single weekend could possibly be all the supply that they had made over the ramp up for a new product launch. You're really fucking saying this?
  • Reply 16 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

As far as kids are concerned, the educational software available on the iPad is the best there is and much of it works on the iPhone/iPod as well... do not have to pay extra to install in all the devices registered to me (5 max). There are cases that make the iPad child proof (almost!). Take a look at the Visual Body software.

I don't disagree that the iPad is fantastic. She just bought them to keep the kids occupied on the airplane flight but also because each child had to have their own device and the Fire is smaller. She has an iPhone, iPad, MBP but still decided on the Fire for the kids. Both kids are in private school so their education quality is not suffering from lack of iPads and the movies are the same regardless of which device they are viewed on. I'm not sure about the family software sharing plan on Amazon although she mentioned that the cloud syncing is similar to Apple. Well, her actual words were "it was a ripoff of Apple".
  • Reply 17 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yeah, brilliant strategy to not sell a product and potentially lose a customer to a competitor¡ Fucking brilliant!

Let's examine what you're saying. You're saying that "it's beyond a reasonable belief" that 4 million smartphones being sold in a single weekend could possibly be all the supply that they had made over the ramp up for a new product launch. You're really fucking saying this?

That is easier to believe than Apple is actually selling all the devices they can make while maintaing control of growth and supply chains. Growing too fast can be very detrimental if plans are not made for smooth transitions between product versions.
  • Reply 18 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yes sir I am. Let's examine what you are saying. You're suggesting that Apple does such terrible planning that they've underestimated the market for every new iPhone and iPad product since 2008, losing millions in sales due their inefficient and poor production plans.

Before responding, take a moment to do a web search using "Apple scarcity value".
  • Reply 19 of 85
    Quote:

Yes sir I am. Let's examine what you are saying. You're suggesting that Apple does such terrible planning that they've underestimated the market for every new iPhone and iPad product since 2008, losing millions in sales due their inefficient and poor production plans.

Before responding, take a moment to do a web search using "Apple scarcity value".

I'm saying that resources(supplies) are finite and demand is outstripping supply. You're begrudging Apple for being popular yet claiming they are profiting by not profiting. That's just stupid on the face of it.

You generate hype when you have none, not when you have plenty. What Apple is lacking is enough resources to build devices fast enough. As an investor I'd be suing Apple if they thought for a second they were purposely not selling their products.
  • Reply 20 of 85
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Yeah, Apple just keep their super-hyped products from selling because.. wait it's not hyped enough. They didn't even launch it everywhere even though they're full of invertory. Here people still waiting for iPhine 4s and some might choose other phones because of the wait but I guess it's worth the hype. What a logic!