Royal Caribbean's Splendour of the Seas will feature an iPad in every cabin

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Travelers who cruise on Royal Caribbean's Splendour of the Seas ship starting in early 2012 will have access to an iPad in their cabin, with more ships set to gain Apple's tablet in the coming years.

The cruise line recently announced to USA Today that the 1,804-passenger ship will feature an Apple iPad in every cabin by mid-February of 2012. The iPads will not be permanently affixed in the cabins, meaning passengers will be able to carry their tablet around the ship with them.

Royal Caribbean reportedly plans to add iPads to five more of its 22 ships within the next two years after the ships are dry-docked for renovations. Those ships are the Legend of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas and Vision of the Seas.

"Royal Caribbean says the iPads will be programmed to let passengers access the ship's daily listing of events and activities and to see a personal daily itinerary including shore excursions," author Gene Sloan wrote. The onboard system will also offer access to the Internet, movies, room service and restaurant menus.

The Splendour of the Seas is one of six "Vision class" ships from Royal Caribbean. It features a seven-story lobby, rock-climbing wall, and a 12-hole miniature golf course, and has been in service since March of 1996.

The ship shares time between the coastlines of Europe and South America. Royal Caribbean recently completed a round of renovations on the ship that added the Giovanni's Table Italian restaurant, a poolside movie screen, and a nursery for children.

In early 2010, Celebrity began adding "iLounges" to its line of cruise ships, where the cruise line features a miniature Apple Store. There, vacationers can buy Apple products including MacBooks, iPhones and iPods, as well as take courses on iPhoto and iMovie.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    Great idea for both companies.... (Need to sale them in the gift shop)
  • Reply 2 of 53
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Just took a cruise aboard the Celebrity Eclipse and it had a Mac Mini in every room controlling the entertainment system as well as delivering all manner of shipboard information. When you turned on the TV in your stateroom, there would be a brief "Powered by Apple" message that would pop up on the screen. Of course, you couldn't use the Mac Mini for anything else as it was hidden away and was running a proprietary front end, but it was cool nonetheless. In addition, they had an Apple store (of sorts) on board where you could buy iPods and MacBook Pros and take some basic computer courses (cause that's what we all want to do on a Caribbean cruise, take computer classes).
  • Reply 3 of 53
    WIkipedia states the passenger capacity is 2,074. From past experience of using Wiki to research cruise ships details and the fact the number of staterooms, 902, was not included, a value that directly states the minimum number of iPads they'll be buying to fill the rooms, I have to assume that USA Today is likely incorrect on the details.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

WIkipedia states the passenger capacity is 2,074. From past experience of using Wiki to research cruise ships details and the fact the number of staterooms, 902, was not included, a value that directly states the minimum number of iPads they'll be buying to fill the rooms, I have to assume that USA Today is likely incorrect on the details.

Has Solipsism been re-written from the ground up to be true 64-bit and to take full advantage of multi-core architectures?
  • Reply 5 of 53
    I wonder if there will be a security deposit required just in case a few iPads "fall overboard" or accidentally make it into a passenger's bag with the complementary towels.
  • Reply 6 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...will feature an Apple iPad in every cabin by mid-February of 2012. The iPads will not be permanently affixed in the cabins, meaning passengers will be able to carry their tablet around the ship with them.

Truly an iPad in every cabin. I love it!
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

I wonder if there will be a security deposit required just in case a few iPads "fall overboard" or accidentally make it into a passenger's bag with the complementary towels.

Well, based on the fact that you have to hand over some CC info when you board the ship, I'd say they have their bases covered.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    "Wikipedia states the passenger capacity is 2,074...and the fact the number of staterooms, 902"

The capacity of the ship is 1804 passengers at double occupancy (902 x 2). 2,074 is the maximum capacity.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Meh. I prefer NCL or Princess myself...
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Great...now I can play Angry Birds in my cabin. What a vacation!

• Reply 11 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Doubt it. Otherwise they would be optional and not simply part of the amenities. I'm sure they are insured and probably have property of the cruise line badging all over it.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Based on this, Apple trolls will therefore argue that iPad is just an entertainment device ...
  • Reply 13 of 53
    I bet a lot of those units will go "missing". Not unlike the hotel bathrobes... Or, at least there will be attempts....
  • Reply 14 of 53
    This will help aid in spreading pink eye and staph infections. Like they aren't everywhere already on cruise ships.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Too bad they aren't focusing on cheaper internet rates.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Has Solipsism been re-written from the ground up to be true 64-bit and to take full advantage of multi-core architectures?

Multi-hardcore architectures.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

The capacity of the ship is 1804 passengers at double occupancy (902 x 2). 2,074 is the maximum capacity.

I see how they get 1804 but I can't think of any examples where the capacity isn't the maximum capacity. I'd understand if this article qualified the capacity the way you did in your first sentence as a way of stating the most common, likely or even mean average for passenger capacity.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

I bet a lot of those units will go "missing". Not unlike the hotel bathrobes... Or, at least there will be attempts....

People tend to put a CC on file for the room and those cabin ninjas are in your room several times a day. The cruise ships typically put out a sheet offering to let you buy the robe toward the end of the cruise so I assume they are well documented.

Still, I'd think that many would get damaged or even swiped if you use them on the ship so they might have an engraved serial number on them and possibly not be 'in' the room, but something you put a deposit on and/or pick up at the front desk in the atrium lobby. I'll bring my own and certainly don't want to be responsible for the ship's $500 device.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjsutton View Post

This will help aid in spreading pink eye and staph infections. Like they aren't everywhere already on cruise ships.

An iPad is probably one of the easiest things to disinfect compared to the rest of the ship. I have a mild fear of flying, but cruise ships? Forget-about-it!
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I see how they get 1804 but I can't think of any examples where the capacity isn't the maximum capacity. I'd understand if this article qualified the capacity the way you did in your first sentence as a way of stating the most common, likely or even mean average for passenger capacity.

Perhaps they have extra devices available in case you want to order another one so each passenger can have their own.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Solipsism X has background rendering, magnetic story lines, extensive metadata and is wicked fast...

...though, it has trouble dealing with established procedures and protocols.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maecvs View Post

I'm telling you, when you board a cruise ship, you have to give CC info which they then tie to your stateroom card and which you use to make onboard purchases. Likewise, if anything were to go missing, I'm sure they'd bill it right to your CC account. I seriously doubt it would only be covered by some sort of insurance.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Quote:

Just like any hotel, they have your credit card info...