Amazon says Kindle Fire is its best-selling product, but won't reveal numbers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82

New York City has many famous bridges... all of which are the longest in the world!

• Reply 42 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

New York City has many famous bridges... all of which are the longest in the world!

That was random....
  • Reply 43 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

World according to the tech press.

The iPad is a useless toy only capable of performing a very small subset of the "real" work a PC can do, it is doomed to fail.

The Kindle Fire is an awesome device which will kill the iPad, never mind that it is only capable of performing a very small subset of what an iPad can do, that is irrelevant.

I hope that's saracasm....
  • Reply 44 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It's not just the price.

$200 can buy a decent gift for somebody. But $200 does not get you a decent tablet.

It gets me 2 HP Touchpads. Oh, wait.....
  • Reply 45 of 82

Dear Jeff,

You don't need to tell us the sales numbers... just give us the activations and we'll extrapolate!

...Let's see now, correct me if I'm wrong -- 10 activations == 3 sales == 2 returns...

...and each 2 returns == + $50 to the bottom line...

Is that it? That it is!

• Reply 46 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

You mean even DED's slanted review couldn't stop the avalanche of sales

You mean the "avalanche" of sales that was so good they will not release any numbers? Yeah, when companies do not release numbers, it means their sales suck. The Kindle Fire is yet another terrible iPad clone which will fail miserably in the market place. Going to be a high return rate on that turd.
  • Reply 47 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

You mean the "avalanche" of sales that was so good they will not release any numbers? Yeah, when companies do not release numbers, it means their sales suck. The Kindle Fire is yet another terrible iPad clone which will fail miserably in the market place. Going to be a high return rate on that turd.

When did Amazon say it's an iPad clone again?
  • Reply 48 of 82
    Given Amazon's wide range of products it sells, it's not hard having a top selling item, especially one that they promote and advertise - isn't it really the only item they promote??? It also does not necessarily translate into high volume - again compared to what?

I wonder what their #2, #3 and #4 sellers are? That might tell us something, but they're' not going to release that information either.

My guess, as others have noted, is that they sold to plan, maybe even above plan, but sharing those numbers would just prove that there is still no real competitor to the iPad.

I'm also one to question their model for making money on sales of apps and products through the fire. It's a business model they can't control for and I'm not even sure how they'd account for P/L with, and under what timeline.

If they really want to get incremental sales from the Fire, they should simply give them away to everyone and promote using it as a sort of hand-held bricks and mortar store.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Ultimately means nothing if they don't tell you how many they sold. 'Its out best selling product' .... and ? big whoop. Normally when figures are not disclosed they are embarrassingly low. I suspect that this situation is no different.

To sum up, if they sold anywhere near the figures of the iPad 2 they would say so. They didn't, so they didn't.

Actually, 'Its our best selling product' is rather a telling statement...

Doesn't Amazon sell Books, Music, Videos, DVDs, cables, cases...

Does that mean that Amazon sells more Fires than any of the above?

Likely, "our" means:

Thesaurus:

maker noun

creator, manufacturer, constructor,builder, producer, fabricator, inventor,architect, designer.

• Reply 50 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Actually, 'Its our best selling product' is rather a telling statement...

Doesn't Amazon sell Books, Music, Videos, DVDs, cables, cases...

Does that mean that Amazon sells more Fires than any of the above?

Likely, "our" means:

Thesaurus:

maker noun

creator, manufacturer, constructor,builder, producer, fabricator, inventor,architect, designer.

Well, if they sell it it is THEIR product becaus they had it in their possesion. Of course, we might be going back to the what's a pc argument...
  • Reply 51 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

All I know is that my brother-in-law (an "android-is-better" iPhone user), bought a Kindle Fire after telling me how great it is. Now he is already giving it away as a gift to our father-in-law for Christmas. (No, he is not buying another one for himself.)

Must have been really great

All the reviews said it was junk; I'm not surprised.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

When did Amazon say it's an iPad clone again?

Well, they compared the fire to ios devices when it was announced. Why make the comparison unless amazon is trying to allege that the fire is an iPad competitor.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jca666us View Post

Well, they compared the fire to ios devices when it was announced. Why make the comparison unless amazon is trying to allege that the fire is an iPad competitor.

I thought Kindle was an ereader? The hell! Make up your minds!
  • Reply 54 of 82
    Quote:

Sound like you know garbage because you have an iPad 2.

But of course. How will you know the rest is garbage if you've never used THE BEST?
  • Reply 55 of 82
    Amazon is ridiculous. They can't win either way........they are losing $50 dollars per Kindle-Fire sold until the money is made up in content sales. So, if they say they sold a million units, thats a 50 million dollar LOSS. They have already predicted a big loss for the quarter to investors. I'm glad Apple is in the game to make money per sale. Imagine having to pay to give your product away like Amazon. The funny part is that the more units they sell, the more they lose financially. They are taking the Sony PS3 approach (which was fruitful at $60 per game). I'm all for competition; but, you shouldn't kill yourself trying.
  • Reply 56 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

So in the end we bought two and we will be returning two.

Thanks for helping make Amazon profitable.

• Reply 57 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

But of course. How will you know the rest is garbage if you've never used THE BEST?

Touche.
  • Reply 58 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

.......they are losing $50 dollars per Kindle-Fire sold until the money is made up in content sales.

$50?

Extrapolating from the SG&A costs of other similar companies/products, plus the profit margin that is required to minimally meet the cost of capital required to finance the creation, production, and sales of a product like the Fire, I am willing to bet that it's at least double that amount.
  • Reply 59 of 82
    Quote:

But will the 10 milion units be tied to software that when people buy from that will make a profit? *15 books*

15 books? Amazon only makes $3 on each $10 e-book. And all those free apps? Not a dime.

It looks like it would take over 60 books before Amazon makes up the money lost on the Kindle Fire.

But... they will be getting $80 a year from Prime memberships. They'll do OK with that.
  • Reply 60 of 82
    Quote:

The Kindle Fire, which first became available earlier this month, has been viewed as a low-cost tablet that will compete with and potentially drive sales away from Android-powered tablets, rather than Apple's iPad.

Kindle Fire is Android powered. When you sideload the Android market, all the Android apps become available for it.