Pent-up demand helps Apple take top spot in UK market with 43% share

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Existing iPhone users' demand for a new device helped push Apple's U.K. market share to nearly 43% in October, beating Android-based handset sales in the region for the first time since late 2010.



According to research firm Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, the introduction of the iPhone 4S gave Apple the top spot in a British mobile market that has been dominated by Android smartphones for nearly a year, reports All Things D.



"Apple took a whopping 42.8 percent share of all smartphone sales, giving it a significant lead over Android -- a feat many thought was impossible," said Dominic Sunnebo, global consumer insight director at the firm.



Sunnebo cites pent-up demand for a new Apple handset from the existing U.K. iPhone user base as a driver for the bump in sales, noting the uncharacteristically long period between the launches of the iPhone 4 and 4S. Since the smartphone's debut in 2007, Apple has traditionally released a new model of the iPhone each year, though the latest launch was delayed.



About 75 percent of British customers who purchased an iPhone 4S in October already own a previous version of the device, with 14 percent upgrading from last year's iPhone 4.



The iPhone 4S has seen booming sales since its Oct. 14 launch, most recently being sold out at many Apple Store locations on Black Friday. Russia and Taiwan are scheduled to launch the handset in December as Apple's rollout continues.



Apple's U.K. market share increased 2.8 percent to 27.8 percent year-to-year, while Android finished the quarter ending in October at 46 percent, down from 49.9 percent a year ago. RIM's BlackBerry sales dropped 1.3 points to claim a 19.6 percent share of the market.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 59
    Pent up demand? I have never heard it used that way....
  • Reply 2 of 59
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post


    Pent up demand? I have never heard it used that way....



    You need to read more. (And broadcast your ignorance less!)
  • Reply 3 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post


    Pent up demand? I have never heard it used that way....









    Really? 90% of the time I see the word pent in context, it is always followed by the word up and then usually by demand.



    http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/...#axzz1eyfF5Z55



    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pent-up
  • Reply 4 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    You need to read more. (And broadcast your ignorance less!)



    C'mon dude, 675 posts in a little over a month? Where would he find the time???!
  • Reply 5 of 59
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    They created their own pent up demand by holding back supply....right?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post


    Pent up demand? I have never heard it used that way....



  • Reply 5 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    You need to read more. (And broadcast your ignorance less!)



    Yep, something got lost somewhere. I think the takeaway from the research at hand is, iPhone sales really jumped when the 4S was released. However....



    "The research company says the October boost meant that for the 12 weeks to the end of October, Apple's market share of UK smartphone sales was 27.8%, compared to 25% in the same period a year before. The Android platform continued to increase its overall lead, powering 46% of smartphones in the 12-week period, compared to 34.2% a year ago."

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...triple-october
  • Reply 7 of 59
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post


    C'mon dude, 675 posts in a little over a month? Where would he find the time???!



    Yeah, well, I'm sure he is getting paid by the post (aparently regardless of inanity) so it is probably worth his while to give up reading. Besides, I magine reading might make him smarter which would make it harder for him to be an effective troll...
  • Reply 8 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    You need to read more. (And broadcast your ignorance less!)



    Because I haven't heard of it before makes me ignorant? I didn't hear of bloakes until recenty...so....
  • Reply 9 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post








    Really? 90% of the time I see the word pent in context, it is always followed by the word up and then usually by demand.



    http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/...#axzz1eyfF5Z55



    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pent-up



    Well I haven't, so what's your point? That makes you feel superior now? Oh, wow, I can post stuff from the internet too!
  • Reply 10 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post


    C'mon dude, 675 posts in a little over a month? Where would he find the time???!



    At my job. Your point?
  • Reply 11 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    Yeah, well, I'm sure he is getting paid by the post (aparently regardless of inanity) so it is probably worth his while to give up reading. Besides, I magine reading might make him smarter which would make it harder for him to be an effective troll...



    Define troll. If you have something to say, direct it at me.



    Because apparently here at AI, if you aren't over biased towards Apple products, you are a troll.
  • Reply 12 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    They created their own pent up demand by holding back supply....right?



    That's not even the context in what I said. I see that you keep trying to change the state of the argument. I already proved to you what Nintendo did in the other thread, and yet you keep avoiding the point.



    According to you, Apple should totally open 12 more facilities churning out 180 million more iPhones....
  • Reply 13 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post


    Yep, something got lost somewhere. I think the takeaway from the research at hand is, iPhone sales really jumped when the 4S was released. However....



    "The research company says the October boost meant that for the 12 weeks to the end of October, Apple's market share of UK smartphone sales was 27.8%, compared to 25% in the same period a year before. The Android platform continued to increase its overall lead, powering 46% of smartphones in the 12-week period, compared to 34.2% a year ago."

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...triple-october



    At least 10% jump is pretty good, I would say.
  • Reply 14 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Android is installed on so many devices and invades so many areas of retail and price points that I wouldn't have thought that was likely even with a new device iPhone coming to market. Maybe the UK simply operates different than the US.
  • Reply 15 of 59
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post


    Define troll. If you have something to say, direct it at me.



    Because apparently here at AI, if you aren't over biased towards Apple products, you are a troll.



    No, I won't define troll, but I will give you one example: someone spending all their time on a fan site incessantly posting with ridiculously predictable and inane negative comments.



    If the only reason you are here is to pick fights, well, you're a troll.



    If one does it as much as you, you are probably a paid troll. Or just pathetic...
  • Reply 16 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Android is installed on so many devices and invades so many areas of retail and price points that I wouldn't have thought that possible even with a new device iPhone coming to market. Maybe the UK simply operates different than the US.





    Invades? I think you are being biased. I mean, it's not like their being forced to get an Android phone.

    Actually, yes, that's the definition: "lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular"



    Well then you fit this definion a lot. Especially when it comes to Android devices/market.



    Besides that, congratulations(?) for the most deftly executed thread jacking and derailing the Internet has ever seen. If there was a trophy to award ? which probably isn't a good idea since the winner would likely get bludgeoned with it ? you'd have won it



    The irony is that you are contributing to this and I didin't hijack this thread, Bageljoey did. Most of the replies have been to what he said. Again, that could have been ignored. If I don't know something, then why am I being attacked for it? Everyone here knows everything, apparently?

    .



  • Reply 17 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    No, I won't define troll, but I will give you one example: someone spending all their time on a fan site incessantly posting with ridiculously predictable and inane negative comments.



    If the only reason you are here is to pick fights, well, you're a troll.



    If one does it as much as you, you are probably a paid troll. Or just pathetic...



    And you get scared because someone points something out against a prouct you like? Loyalist, much?



    That doesn't make any sense what you just said. I'm not here ot pick fights, and only I alone know that reason. I only counter facts that are biased or contstrued. You made this into a trolling thing, not me. I just said I never heard it used that way and it stood out. How was that negative.



    Negative comments aren't trolling. A lot of stuff here posted by AI is negative. So what is the point you are trying to make?
  • Reply 18 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    No, I won't define troll, but I will give you one example: someone spending all their time on a fan site incessantly posting with ridiculously predictable and inane negative comments.



    If the only reason you are here is to pick fights, well, you're a troll.



    If one does it as much as you, you are probably a paid troll. Or just pathetic...



    I'll go with pathetic.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    big kcbig kc Posts: 122member
  • Reply 20 of 59
    Another example of why these analysts are idiots.



    How could they possibly think it was "impossible" for the iPhone to the top market share in the month that the 4S is released?



    I would have said it wasn't just possible but likely.
Sign In or Register to comment.