Pent-up demand helps Apple take top spot in UK market with 43% share

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    Back on topic, Blackberry obviously doesn't care about losing markeshare. They're apparently happy because they get to sell to the good 'ol goverment.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

I'm not here ot pick fights, and only I alone know that reason. I only counter facts that are biased or contstrued.

• Reply 43 of 59
    Too bad. 75% are previous owners. 25% increase is not bad. Cheap Androids will be hard to beat.
  • Reply 44 of 59
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

This^^^^ isn't original, even to your self.

Wow, you really don't ever get jokes. Amazing.

Edit: Ha! I love it - AI nuked the whole thread
  • Reply 45 of 59
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Nonsense removed.

Altering quoted posts is not permitted.

We don't lock threads here, but off-topic bullshitting and arguing, not pertaining to the subject of the thread, will be removed as necessary and points given.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Wow, you really don't ever get jokes. Amazing.

Edit: Ha! I love it - AI nuked the whole thread

I was joking though!

Ahhhh....deleted

In the UK market, don't they buy phones in full? That's pretty good I'd say.
  • Reply 47 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Nonsense removed.

Altering quoted posts is not permitted.

We don't lock threads here, but off-topic bullshitting and arguing, not pertaining to the subject of the thread, will be removed as necessary and points given.

Really? I think you just listed 97% of the threads on this forum.
  • Reply 48 of 59
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

In the UK market, don't they buy phones in full? That's pretty good I'd say.

Surprisingly that's actually a good and fair question.

The iPhone can be more or less costlier up front in the UK than in the US. It depends on if you wish to purchase directly from Apple or through one of the 5 official carriers (O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Three, & Vodafone) on contract, the cost of the contract, and the length of the contract.

Here's an example of O2's setup: http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/pa...ne_4_8GB_White

I do wish we had more options in in the US, though the whole thing does look rather confusing for the average consumer.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Android is installed on so many devices and invades so many areas of retail and price points that I wouldn't have thought that was likely even with a new device iPhone coming to market. Maybe the UK simply operates different than the US.

Yep it operates 'differently' ...

Seriously though, every far flung memenber of my family has a 4s in the uk it seems even though I doubt many should given the income of some. I was very surprised at the uptake over there on the 4s.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Don't alter my replies.

Oh dear, Romney has opened a can of worms!
  • Reply 51 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Too bad. 75% are previous owners. 25% increase is not bad. Cheap Androids will be hard to beat.

Retaining 75% gives the iPhone the highest user loyalty.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    Quote:

Android is installed on so many devices and invades so many areas of retail and price points that I wouldn't have thought that was likely even with a new device iPhone coming to market. Maybe the UK simply operates different than the US.

Well, for many years iPhone was carrier locked to just AT&T in the US, and only last year did Apple add Verizon, and now Sprint. AT&T was never the largest carrier. Is Apple on the major carriers in the UK? How is that market even split up?
  • Reply 53 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Can't speak for anyone else, but living with a cheap Android phone for 2 years has made my wife the biggest iPhone fan on the planet. I suspect cheap Android phones will actually help Apple gain customers in the long-term.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well, for many years iPhone was carrier locked to just AT&T in the US, and only last year did Apple add Verizon, and now Sprint. AT&T was never the largest carrier. Is Apple on the major carriers in the UK? How is that market even split up?

Yes, it is everywhere. So thats not the reason.

I would have preferred if this report explained exactly how the sales were broken down - did the iPhone 4 do better than before, taking back some users?

As for whether it continues into November or December, the answer is probably. I am surprised the 4S did so well given the supply shortages. Just checked online and there are shortages in my ten local stores, although less so than 3 weeks ago. The 16 G is available in 8 out of 10, though not in both colours everywhere, and all other models are sold out.

EDIT: apparently only 14% of the sales were to iPhone 4 users. There still remains a need for an iPhone 5, therefore.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    Quote:

Maybe the UK simply operates different than the US.

Stupid low contract prices help...

What is it? $400 for a 64GB iPhone 4S on AT&T with a $125 a month contract?

£279 upfront (about $430) but only £35 (about $54) for unlimited everything (data, tethering, minutes, texts, cups of tea etc.)

Slightly higher upfront cost, but the price of the contract more than makes up for it.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    Well I keep hearing about how Android is number one, but everyone I meet seems to have an iPhone.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macadam212 View Post

Well I keep hearing about how Android is number one, but everyone I meet seems to have an iPhone.

In terms of installed base it would be higher than the recent monthly stats.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    While the numbers sound great, the fact that 75% of the customers were already iPhone users, means that the iPhone has a strong quarter now based on loyal customers, but that won't probably last.

The more important issue is how much from other platforms (and non-smartphone users) go to Apple.

Do we know how much of the Android sales were to existing Android users?
  • Reply 59 of 59
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

While the numbers sound great, the fact that 75% of the customers were already iPhone users, means that the iPhone has a strong quarter now based on loyal customers, but that won't probably last.

The more important issue is how much from other platforms (and non-smartphone users) go to Apple.

Do we know how much of the Android sales were to existing Android users?

Well, pent up demand is likely almost always dominated by replacement sales to existing customers whether iOS or Android. If there was pent up demand for the Nexus S it's dominated by existing Android customers longing for ICS.

The numbers sound great because they are. Evidently there was a bunch of folks that were waiting for the 4S to jump into iOS.