Adding external DVD drive for region 2 playback?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is it possible to add an external drive to my late 2011

MacBook Pro just to play region 2 discs or will that

also convert the internal one to region 2 as well?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jvernonfm View Post

Is it possible to add an external drive to my late 2011

MacBook Pro just to play region 2 discs or will that

also convert the internal one to region 2 as well?

Thanks in advance.

Better than that, you can buy an off-the-shelf region free player, like I did. Works fine.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    That's more bulk and cables, requires an additional input on the display and precludes ripping.

(By the way, is it possible to rip a DVD on the Mac if your drive is set to a different region? If it was, that would make it unnecessary to add hardware.)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

That's more bulk and cables, requires an additional input on the display and precludes ripping.

(By the way, is it possible to rip a DVD on the Mac if your drive is set to a different region? If it was, that would make it unnecessary to add hardware.)

I said player, I meant drive. I have a region-free external DVD burner. It cost $40.

No, you cannot rip from a non-authorized disk on a region locked drive.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Thanks for the reply. Which product did you buy? The local store employees here in San Antonio look blank when I ask about this so I will have to order from amazon or someone else online.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Which product did you buy? The local store employees here in San Antonio look blank when I ask about this so I will have to order from amazon or someone else online.

Thanks again.

It's a Samsung with a nice solid metal chassis. I'll check the model number when I get home. You'll have to order it online in the States if you want it region free. Or you could flash a region locked drive.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Thanks again. Amazon has a Samsung with good reviews but no mention of it being region free. There are a couple listed on eBay but they appear to be no name products.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Thanks again. Amazon has a Samsung with good reviews but no mention of it being region free. There are a couple listed on eBay but they appear to be no name products.

Sorry, I forgot to check the model number. I bought it in a shop in Hong kong that sells unaltered hardware. It wasn't modified by the seller or distributor, it came unlocked straight from Samsung.

I'll be home in another five hours. I'll ask my assistant to remind me to get back to this post.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Sorry, got the reminder when I was still on my way home and then forgot, as it's been a busy day. I was wrong. My player is a Hyundai of all things (got the country right), model number SD-2103. Almost no references online for this model.

It's a heavy, solid piece of bus-powered metal. Quite sleek, small, and nice looking, but not practical for a laptop bag, as it's heavy due to the metal case.