Smoking, glowing iPhone 4 causes airplane scare

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

How many iPhones are out there in the wild again?

Even if this story turns out to be legit, then it's not really a big deal. Could be a faulty battery or something. Sometimes stuff happens, and what's the chance of something like that happening? Probably similar odds as winning the lotto.

No big deal?

AFAIK, it took only one, possibly two unproven reports of mobile phones interfering with aircraft navigation systems to to result in a near world-wide ban on their use during taxiing, takeoof and landing.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:

How many iPhones are out there in the wild again?

Even if this story turns out to be legit, then it's not really a big deal. Could be a faulty battery or something. Sometimes stuff happens, and what's the chance of something like that happening? Probably similar odds as winning the lotto.

About 80 million Iphone4.

So 80 million to 1 that this story is up an up.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

No big deal?

AFAIK, it took only one, possibly two unproven reports of mobile phones interfering with aircraft navigation systems to to result in a near world-wide ban on their use during taxiing, takeoof and landing.

A bit of topic: The real reason why people are not allowed to have cell phones on in airplanes is because of the base stations. Cell phones roams from cell tower to cell tower. The system goes nuts when a single phone is trying roam from 40000 feet altitude with high speed.

(I worked at Ericsson radio systems. They make about 50% of all base stations in the world. AT&T suck because they only installed 1/3 of the cell density that is recommended. Even more off topic)
  • Reply 24 of 61
    Quote:

Please tell me that is a case. Please tell me where to buy said case
  • Reply 25 of 61
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Hopefully they'll get this 'issue' resolved with an iOS update... \

Highly unlikely. This would have been caused by a faulty battery, not much the OS can do about that. If its going to blow it going to blow.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AppleInsider reached out to Apple for comment but has yet to hear back from the company.

Every time someone uses 'reached out' to mean 'contacted', a kitten dies.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    I would definitely take action against apple for this. Not sure if it was in his pocket or not, but something as faulty as this passed QC which should not have happened.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

It was probably a jailbroken iPhone with an El Qaida version of airplane mode.

These threads can go back and forth all day long, but you have sunk to the lowest level of stupidity! WE have enough problems with real terrorism for you to make such an absolute sophomoric comment!

TRULY not funny at all! I suggest you spend your day finding a brain! Not to mention, you can't even spell Al Qaeda correctly!
  • Reply 29 of 61
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    I'm curious to know what would cause the Gorilla Glass back to fracture in the way it did, with cracks radiating from near the midpoint on one side and a wedge shaped piece missing. When would this have happened? As a consequence of an internal malfunction that brought about overheating? Or more likely, an impact at one point along the metal side sufficiently hard to both break the class and cause a short circuit within the phone electronics, the battery connections or within he battery itself. Disassembly should indicate a point source for the overheating. As to "glowing red" - I'm having a tough time buying that description. Smoking, too hot to handle - maybe.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

1 occurrence out of millions of phones and they haven't even isolated if the phone had ever been dropped, tampered with etc.

Lets wait until we get a battery recall for a batch of 1000+ serials because they might maybe have a battery with a microscopic hole in the battery housing that could perhaps increase and cause the chemicals in the battery to explode, before we start screaming that this is a major issue.

oh and the safety board etc are notified if anything happens on a plane. someone could have a heart attack and they will be notified. a toilet stops up and they are notified. someone's seat ringer doesn't work and they are notified.

"Reports that an Australian regional airline had to extinguish a glowing red iPhone 4 that was emitting "dense smoke" on an airplane have sparked concerns over the handset's battery safety."

The above quote from the article says it all. Because its Apple this will be spun to the stratosphere. There will be new blogs sprouting up everywhere to beat this to death, predicting this will be the bullet that finally kills Apple. Analysts will weave this into a doomsday scenario for the stock.

Do other phones blow up from time to time? You bet but we don't hear about them because they don't matter. That's both good and bad.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnOldAplGuy View Post

These threads can go back and forth all day long, but you have sunk to the lowest level of stupidity! WE have enough problems with real terrorism for you to make such an absolute sophomoric comment!

TRULY not funny at all! I suggest you spend your day finding a brain! Not to mention, you can't even spell Al Qaeda correctly!

I wouldn't complain too much about the spelling - the media isn't even consistent - with Osama and Usama - and according to Wikipedia - Al-Qaeda (Arabic: القاعدة‎, al-qāʿidah, Arabic: [ælˈqɑːʕɪdɐ], English: /ælˈkaɪdə/ al-ky-də, translation: "The Base" and alternatively spelled al-Qaida and sometimes al-Qa'ida)

any time you are dealing with an English translation of a word that does not exist in the English language there may be some wiggle room for how to get it right.

also consider this:

?Gen?l'men of the Jury,? said Reynolds, when he ?summed up??and every word weighed a pound??the learned counsel on the other side finds fault with my ritin? and spellin? as though the merits of this case depended upon sich matters! I?m again lugging in any sich outside affairs, but I will say, that a man must be a damned fool, who can?t spell a word more than one way.? The Jury sympathized with Judge R. and rendered a decision in favor of his client.

it wasn't until the first publication of a dictionary that the notion of there being only one way to spell a given word became prevalent.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Hopefully they'll get this 'issue' resolved with an iOS update... \

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Highly unlikely. This would have been caused by a faulty battery, not much the OS can do about that. If its going to blow it going to blow.

You've been pwned by one of the resident haters. This particular one used to post pictures of every one of his glorious Android devices and expound incessantly about their objective superiority to anything Apple ever made in the last 35 years.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I'd like a vegemite sandwich please.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    I don't buy that the glass fracture caused the "bite" to look like Jobs face. That would be a massive coincidence. Look at the rest of the logo in the same area and it's in excellent condition with no distortion present.

I think it's far more likely it's a modded back, and the reason the face is a little off is because it's being distorted by the cracked glass, not that the cracked glass just happens to look like Jobs.

To the poster who showed the modded back with the text underneath, do you think there's only one version of the back for sale?
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Wonder if the phone was on at the time.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    I'm not having a problem believing this story at all after what my wife went through with her white iPhone 4.

Her phone would get hot. Not warm as in the screen was on a bit but hot. She was using an auxilary cable to plug into her car's stereo for music and the phone actually melted the plug into the ear phone jack. I ca only imagine what additional stresses increased pressure at altitude could put on the device.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bunnyturd View Post

Clearly this phone was severely damaged prior to the incident. Anytime you have a lithium ion battery and you damage the device sufficiently you can cause a short circuit within the battery that cause it to over heat.

We don't know that. It could have been a manufacturing defect. Let's wait until the experts investigate, huh?

Quote:

AppleInsider reached out to Apple for comment but has yet to hear back from the company.

Well, duh. Why in the world would you expect Apple to give you a comment on this? Just standard journalistic sensationalism to make it look like Apple has something to hide.

Quote:

Though the mishap may prompt an investigation by officials, it does appear to be a relatively isolated occurrence.

Ya think? 80 million iPhones and this is the first report of an incident like this. I guess that would be 'relatively isolated'.

Quote:

The issue does, however, come on the heels of an Apple replacement program for the first-generation iPod nano due to potential battery overheating issues. After first rolling out replacement offers in select countries, Apple initiated the program worldwide earlier this month, noting that the problem is "very rare," though the likelihood of overheating does increase over time.

Do you understand what "on the heels of" means? The iPod nanos in question were manufactured in 2005 and 2006. Yes, it uncharacteristically took Apple a long time to implement a program to replace the defective ones, but the problem is over 5 years old. What's the point of bringing it up other than a sensationalistic attempt to make it look like this is a regular problem for Apple?

And why didn't you bring up the more recent problems with lithium ion batteries from other manufacturers. AFAIK, the largest recall of Li-ion batteries in the world was from Sony, not Apple. it happens to all manufacturers of devices using Li-ion batteries, so why bring up a 5 year old Apple situation?
  • Reply 38 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MomentsofSanity View Post

I'm not having a problem believing this story at all after what my wife went through with her white iPhone 4.

Her phone would get hot. Not warm as in the screen was on a bit but hot. She was using an auxilary cable to plug into her car's stereo for music and the phone actually melted the plug into the ear phone jack. I ca only imagine what additional stresses increased pressure at altitude could put on the device.

You might want to check your facts. Pressure at altitude is DECREASED relative to sea level, not increased.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You might want to check your facts. Pressure at altitude is DECREASED relative to sea level, not increased.

Well, that's why I said I can only imagine... wasn't sure. DOesn't change my believe the story is plausible.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Sounds like a removable and replaceable battery could have saved someone their iPhone.

Too bad they haven't come out with that kind of technology yet.