Samsung attorney says Australian judge wrong in banning its iPad-like tablet

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I don't understand why people do it for Android.

Root, root root for the home team,

If they don't win its a shame...
  • Reply 42 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btonedem View Post

Right, especially when you follow the "All Korean look alike, but deep down they are different" logic, then Australian judge did make a mistake.

Also most diamond rings look alike from 10 feet away and most flip phones from 10 feet away. If you want to look closely then the Samsung looks quite a bit different than the iPhone. Or look at the car industry. Every decade someone comes out with a unique style and 4 years later all cars have similar styling. Most recently was the curvy design aesthetics with sheered off wheel wells and sharp creases here and there.

It seems to me that Apple went out of their way to remove any trademarkable characteristics from their phone (except iOS) and are now trying to claim that is their trademark (a lack of unique details)

As far as packaging, I've seen lots of devices packaged in slip-shell boxes with plastic internal holders. Although it does look sort of like Samsung imitated Apple with the packaging, that shouldn't be something trade mark-able.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    Quote:

Yes...the answer to anyone who disagrees with you. Ignore them.

The answer for anyone frankly who is a shrill, derogatory, self-appointed expert and representative of the contrarian viewpoint whether it, or any of its supporting statements are in fact valid, sensible or reasonable...

Hmmmm.... let me think....

Quote:

"He also said he can beat an early detected and easily removable rare slow spreading form of a deadly cancer (the form you'd wish to have if u had no choice) with new age bullshit."

Quote:

"That was my intent. Childish yea, It's annoying when people take respect to such an extreme level that it becomes deification. "

Quote:

"As for everything else u said. Do me a favor tell me what exactly Android slavishly stole from iOS. A bullet point list preferably. No one seems to be able to do that."

Quote:

"Oh no he doesn't agree with me boohoo let me ignore him so my dainty sensibilities aren't assaulted by non-likeminded ideas"

Quote:

"They have to hate Google because they believe Jobs was their father and they are carrying out his duties or something like that. Also Apple exists in a void and can only inspire but can never be inspired. They also came up with everything on their own...no tech history."

Quote:

"Praise of Apple =\\= Hatred of anything not Apple. If it wasn't for the ridiculous claims made by Apple fans about Android fans and Android I wouldn't even be here. My RSS feed is overwhelmed with AppleInsider articles because every other one is not about Apple. Apple deserves praise. But sometimes they are given too much."

^^^^^^^^

This is why you get ignored, in spite of truly good postings like this:

Quote:

"I doubt it. whatever you may say about Android Market and it's apps they still have something to offer to any Android handset. Bada doesn't have that nor the developers. It's destined to fail if pitted against Android and by extension iOS."

It takes entirely too much digging (like trying to find a turnip in a pile of manure) to get to the posts where you make solid salient points without all the ridiculous diatribe or contrarianisms of a self-appointed balancer of Apple fans laudatory postings on an Apple fan blog.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

for someone who actually quoted the entire thing I said pertaining to "exaggerate" the fact that you managed to practically quote mine it is shocking.

Don't understand. Poor syntax.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

The answer for anyone frankly who is a shrill, derogatory, self-appointed expert and representative of the contrarian viewpoint whether it, or any of its supporting statements are in fact valid, sensible or reasonable...

<bunch of quotes of previous postings of mine>

^^^^^^^^

This is why you get ignored, in spite of truly good postings like this:

It takes entirely too much digging (like trying to find a turnip in a pile of manure) to get to the posts where you make solid salient points without all the ridiculous diatribe or contrarianisms of a self-appointed balancer of Apple fans laudatory postings on an Apple fan blog.

Context matters. A lot.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Quote:

"He also said he can beat an early detected and easily removable rare slow spreading form of a deadly cancer (the form you'd wish to have if u had no choice) with new age bullshit."

Decided to use a grim example of how Steve Jobs, as great as he was, was not always right.

Quote:

"That was my intent. Childish yea, It's annoying when people take respect to such an extreme level that it becomes deification. "

Definitely need a context here...I vaguely remember it being in reply to a reply of the previous quote

Quote:

"As for everything else u said. Do me a favor tell me what exactly Android slavishly stole from iOS. A bullet point list preferably. No one seems to be able to do that."

And I'm still waiting for this list...

Quote:

"Oh no he doesn't agree with me boohoo let me ignore him so my dainty sensibilities aren't assaulted by non-likeminded ideas"

Mocking an ignorer...I haven't even ignored Apple ][ and he is one of the few TRUE trolls on this site....plus a downright <censored because I keep getting infractions whenever I state my opinions on the dude>

Quote:

"They have to hate Google because they believe Jobs was their father and they are carrying out his duties or something like that. Also Apple exists in a void and can only inspire but can never be inspired. They also came up with everything on their own...no tech history."

Mocking Apple cultists...not Apple fans or even Apple is better than everything elsers...the cultists who fail to realize Steve was just a man...

Quote:

"Praise of Apple =\\= Hatred of anything not Apple. If it wasn't for the ridiculous claims made by Apple fans about Android fans and Android I wouldn't even be here. My RSS feed is overwhelmed with AppleInsider articles because every other one is not about Apple. Apple deserves praise. But sometimes they are given too much."

Not quite sure why this one is here...
  • Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Don't understand. Poor syntax.

you posted a post of mine after highlighting a word in a previous quote in attempts to paint me as a hypocrite...however you clearly didn't read beyond the bolded word or you'd realize that the exaggeration I stated was in regards to negative aspects of iOS as opposed to an obviously rhetorical comment like "a monopoly on a rounded rectangle"

which, being that that is EXACTLY how I see the design patent it isn't an exaggeration to me, it is exactly my perception.

And stop being needlessly obtuse. I've read your postings...I know you can decipher a little poor syntax.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

you posted a post of mine after highlighting a word in a previous quote in attempts to paint me as a hypocrite...however you clearly didn't read beyond the bolded word or you'd realize that the exaggeration I stated was in regards to negative aspects of iOS as opposed to an obviously rhetorical comment like "a monopoly on a rounded rectangle"

which, being that that is EXACTLY how I see the design patent it isn't an exaggeration to me, it is exactly my perception.

And stop being needlessly obtuse. I've read your postings...I know you can decipher a little poor syntax.

OK, I'll avoid the obtuse-ness. Your continued ignoring of all fact other than your chosen round corner rectangle. Something you have done for months now has eliminated even the tiniest bit of relevance your posts carry. Your inability to post a reasonable response to anyone else on these boards identifies you as nothing less than a simple troll.

The only saving grace your posts have is that they adhere to the appropriate side of the fine line of avoiding personal attacks. That doesn't mean the posts have any redeeming value, it just means you have avoided getting banned for shitting all over the boards.

It's obvious to anyone who looks at the board in anything other than the most casual glance that your primary reason for posting it to tear down and stir up irrelevant debate. Your posts don't contribute anything worthwhile to the community. I have a hard time fathoming how any of the mods or admins put up with the continued behavior, it's not a protected speech issue, that does not apply in a non-governmental-controlled context. So be glad of the apathy at the top, its the only reason your continued trace of trollish posts are allowed to continue.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    Is this the mate who set his iPhone on fire while flying to Oz-land?
  • Reply 50 of 67
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I laughed just based on the thread title.

While it's unlikely (I hope), it would have been hilarious to hear Samsung's lawyer actually refer to the Galaxy Tab as an "iPad-like tablet".
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

OK, I'll avoid the obtuse-ness. Your continued ignoring of all fact other than your chosen round corner rectangle. Something you have done for months now has eliminated even the tiniest bit of relevance your posts carry. Your inability to post a reasonable response to anyone else on these boards identifies you as nothing less than a simple troll.

The only saving grace your posts have is that they adhere to the appropriate side of the fine line of avoiding personal attacks. That doesn't mean the posts have any redeeming value, it just means you have avoided getting banned for shitting all over the boards.

It's obvious to anyone who looks at the board in anything other than the most casual glance that your primary reason for posting it to tear down and stir up irrelevant debate. Your posts don't contribute anything worthwhile to the community. I have a hard time fathoming how any of the mods or admins put up with the continued behavior, it's not a protected speech issue, that does not apply in a non-governmental-controlled context. So be glad of the apathy at the top, its the only reason your continued trace of trollish posts are allowed to continue.

So you have nothing to say?
  • Reply 52 of 67
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Last thing you want to do is tell a judge that they were wrong!

The husband of the Judge Annabelle Bennett and the Barrister representing Apple in her own court, which awarded the injunction, are senior council members of "5 Wentworth". Annabelle herself is an alumni of "5 Wentworth".

It seems that Judges in this appeal case agree with Samsung. Key note "Terribely unfair to Samsung"

I bought a 'Galaxy Note White' for my wife a couple of weeks ago. It rocks. My wife is insisting selling our Ipad 2 and buying another Note as our kids(preschooler) are playing with the Note more. I would not want to sell Ipad 2 because I do not want to have same phone in our house. But then, my wife said our Ipad 2 is not allowed to update for some applications as it has not been updateed with IOS 5. Why is it so? (I chose not to update and I want it to be as it is now) Initially I had issues with Ipad2 but settled to be happy myself, but now with this I am quite annoyed.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

But you are a hypocrite! The constant over-simplification of Apple's patents is exaggeration. Your responses ("just 'cos I disagree with you") to people accusing you of trolling... is an exaggeration.

Let's be honest here Absolute. This is the internets! This is an Apple orientated web site. There might be a hint... or a lot of pro-Apple bias. The forums might be infested with rabid Apple fanboys. ... so I understand that you may not agree with everything you read here. And what is your response 1000 posts in three months. It's over the top... it's troll-ISH, it's too much... it's an exaggerated response.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

But you are a hypocrite! The constant over-simplification of Apple's patents is exaggeration. Your responses ("just 'cos I disagree with you") to people accusing you of trolling... is an exaggeration.

Let's be honest here Absolute. This is the internets! This is an Apple orientated web site. There might be a hint... or a lot of pro-Apple bias. The forums might be infested with rabid Apple fanboys. ... so I understand that you may not agree with everything you read here. And what is your response 1000 posts in three months. It's over the top... it's troll-ISH, it's too much... it's an exaggerated response.

That's a little over ten posts a day. Not too much.

I've explained why I'm here.

And again read what I wrote after I wrote exaggerate.

And yes Apple was indeed granted a patent on a rounded simplified thin rectangle. And I still disagree with the entire patent even with it's six points my simplification is for simplicitys sake. Next time it comes up I'll be sure to be more thorough in my description of the patent.

PS. I agreed with the patent on the bounce back effect. Never once disagreed with that. Also with the more specific wording in their slide to unlock patent. But again. No one sees that.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:

PS. I agreed with the patent on the bounce back effect. Never once disagreed with that. Also with the more specific wording in their slide to unlock patent. But again. No one sees that.

Again, Apple is enjoying every technologies developed by others, but not allowing others to use such basic touch related jestures. Apple is clearly using its patents to stifle healthy competition. I disagree with the Judge's decesion giving Apple what they want.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hjb View Post

Again, Apple is enjoying every technologies developed by others, but not allowing others to use such basic touch related jestures. Apple is clearly using its patents to stifle healthy competition. I disagree with the Judge's decesion giving Apple what they want.

So you are equating copying to "healthy competition"? Is that not what you are saying?

I disagree. I think not allowing copying forces one to be original. To think up original solutions. If you are referring to Apple suing over slide to unlock, just remember that it is not by any means the only way to unlock a smartphone. There are so many different solutions, you'd think the competition would pick something else, you know: think up something different? Look what ICS has: facial recognition to unlock. Now that's original. Why would you complain about slide to unlock not being available to copy?
  • Reply 57 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So you are equating copying to "healthy competition"? Is that not what you are saying?

I disagree. I think not allowing copying forces one to be original. To think up original solutions. If you are referring to Apple suing over slide to unlock, just remember that it is not by any means the only way to unlock a smartphone. There are so many different solutions, you'd think the competition would pick something else, you know: think up something different? Look what ICS has: facial recognition to unlock. Now that's original. Why would you complain about slide to unlock not being available to copy?

Here comes

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7L202L20111130

I mean if every manufacturer is doing what Apple is doing, then there would no competition. My point was that Apple is enjoying all the technologies real technologies developed by others, but stifling competition not allowing not even licencing out their tiny inovations.

Only court could stop that and I am now happier with the decesion today.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    jack99jack99 Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Here comes

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7L202L20111130

I mean if every manufacturer is doing what Apple is doing, then there would no competition. My point was that Apple is enjoying all the technologies real technologies developed by others, but stifling competition not allowing not even licencing out their tiny inovations.

Only court could stop that and I am now happier with the decesion today.

As am I. That lower court's reasoning was not at all convincing to me.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    Quote:

It depends. But yes...as I've said many times Apple (it seems) acts as if it exists in a void.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The very act of interacting with the primary control interface of a device to unlock said device should not be patentable in any form.

Apple's specific implementation down to the detail of Slide to Unlock should most definitely be patentable.

It's like patenting "a combination of keys on a keyboard to perform a pre-defined action within a computer operating system"