Apple seen selling iPad 3 HD, iPad 2S and iPad 2 in 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    I read this post until I see the word "analyst".
  • Reply 22 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Oh man! Indium, gallium and zinc? Those are pretty rare materials that China is stock piling ...

No. These 3 elements aren't rare earth elements. See this page for rare earth elements --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_earth_element
  • Reply 23 of 67
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    A lower-cost 8GB iPad 2 would actually go really far for many users; even music-lovers, thanks to iCloud. 8GB wouldn’t be for people who want a huge portable offline media or photo library, but it would be fine for readers, surfers, communicators, and many types of gamers. People who might be tempted by a cheap tablet with a poor experience, when space is less important than having something work well.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

What I really want is a 4-5" iPod Touch for the kids that cost $200.

I think this might eventually happen. SJ had said on many occasions that a 4"-7" iDevice was pointless, so It may eventually happen I could see them axing the current Touch for something like this now that SJ is gone.

Personally, I agree, but logistically, it would be hard to market three devices like this with the existing iTouch still out there. With the 64GB device at $399 and the 16GB iPad at $499, there's little room for all three of these devices to thrive.

However, the reviews of the Kindle Fire prove that there is little use for that size screen with the exception of games. They all say that reading websites and magazines and books on it wold be better if the screen were larger.
  • Reply 25 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, I have it!

The "faster iPad 2S" is really the 7" iPad and the "even faster than the faster iPad 2S iPad 3" is the new 10" model!

Oh, dear. That's bigger than I thought it would be. But it fits the bill, I guess.

There is so much win in this post. Stop it, I'm draining my tear ducts here!
  • Reply 26 of 67
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

And it's "possible" that Apple will discontinue selling iPads all together. Not bloody well likely, but "possible."

It'd be nice if analysts would take ownership of their projections and stop using weasle words like "it's possible".

Agreed. The analyst had no new information whatsoever and is just making public guesses.
  • Reply 27 of 67
    I agree, the iPhone will stay where it is. But the iPad is still seen as a "New Year" release which I think may be hurting it's sales for the Christmas season. I know I am waiting till the new version is released to get one. Which means to iPad 2 for me this Christmas. I would think they would delay the announcement till April and shipping in the May to June timeframe.

Then again, this could just be my mentality because I know Apple's release schedule too well and am looking forward to the new stuff. I may not represent well enough the "average consumer".
  • Reply 28 of 67
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Stupid idea. The only reason they keep the older iPhone models on sale is because they still get a high (subsidised) price for them through the networks. That business model does not apply to the iPad.
  • Reply 29 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thx607 View Post

I hate these reports, they never pan out and half of the time are truly asinine. iPad 3 will be out in March and the iPad 2 will move to clearance.

Check.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

everyone is quick to shoot down these analyst notes, and usually it's fair to do so. However, as these things go, this report is probably as realistic as possible. Maybe there won't be 3 separate iPads (3, 2S, 2) but the approach is very "Apple" where they keep older models on hand for a lower price to attack the low-end market. Nobody has a crystal ball into Apple's plans, but this analysis is a lot more likely to pan out than, for example, a 7" iPad.

The goal seems to be to do as much damage to Apple as possible by disseminating disinformation about future Apple products, getting the blogosphere to hype it up until everyone hears the same rumors over and over again, giving the rumor more "weight." In the end, they'll forget that it's the same rumor echoing back and forth across the Internet. Everyone seems to be talking about the iPad 3 with "retina display," something that Apple has never promised, ever. Woe unto Apple if they don't actually deliver a product that matches these runaway expectations. And if Apple doesn't actually name it "iPad 3" they're going to "disappoint" wags who will then blog about how disappointed they are that the glass is 20% empty. It's not fair to Apple, is it?

Im fine with rumors from "unnamed sources", but this is just one "analyst's" opinion--he's not even quoting a source. As such, I don't think it deserves the kind of media coverage it is getting.
  • Reply 31 of 67
    Quote:

Analyst

• Reply 32 of 67
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I can see the iPad 3. But the iPad 2S, I don't know about that. I really don't see Apple selling two iPads versions (same size screen) at the same time. If they do it may be two different size iPads. A 7.5 inch and a 9.5 inch.
  • Reply 33 of 67
    Wow talk about hedging your bets. And don't forget, they will have the "iPad 2*" available in more colours and a special (PRODUCT) Red.

I've seen this movie.

Although I'm pretty sure Apple pays these Analysts to promote these rumours to get consumer reaction. Although I'm pretty sure they don't, and the Analysts are just trying to increase readership like a cheap prostitute lowering its rates.
  • Reply 34 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    As they get thinner and lighter I hope there are larger iPads on the horizon.

partial quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

Although I'm pretty sure Apple pays these Analysts to promote these rumours to get consumer reaction. Although I'm pretty sure they don't, and the Analysts are just trying to increase readership like a cheap prostitute lowering its rates.

So which is it?
  • Reply 35 of 67
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Where do these guys come up with this crap?

Ok... so the iPad 2 staying at a lower price point- I can swallow that, fine.

But to have an iPad 2S with a "faster processor" and a 3 with a "faster processor than the 2S". Seriously? So we get the A6 and A7 in one swoop? Do they even read what they write before they hit "send"? I think I know the answer already....
  • Reply 36 of 67
    For me, i think Apple will not release an iPad 3 next year but a iPad 2S, the same design like the current iPad 2 but with better hardware inside it. Just like iPhone 3G to 3S, iPhone 4 to 4S.

In fact, this is a normal process for Apple, just look back at how long they keep the old design of the MBP before Apple changes to the current design, and not to forget the current design has being on the market for about 3 years already
  • Reply 37 of 67
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I could see a very high end price for the ipad 3 to make sure quantities were reasonable.

I dunno how I feel about that. Probably jealousy as I'd have to go for the 2S.

I can't think of a time that Apple has done that-- released a new model that sells for a lot more than the previous model. Typically what they do is bring the new hotness at the old price point, and then start moving the old stuff down the pricing range to give them some coverage.

In iPod land that generally was dictated by memory size-- a new, say, 16GB model would show up at the same price as the old 8GB model and the old 8GB model would become cheaper.

I don't think we've seem the full iPad lineup yet, so there aren't all the pricing levels in place to make for an orderly shifting, but it really doesn't seem like much of a stretch that Apple would do something like they've done with the iPhone, and slot next year's models into the existing price points (possible upping the memory for each) while selling the current model at a discount.

As far as also offering an "iPad 2S", I say no chance.
  • Reply 38 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

As they get thinner and lighter I hope there are larger iPads on the horizon.

partial quote:

So which is it?

Apple gets it for free, not that they care what you think you want. They will TELL you what that is. They will SELL you want next March. You may as well sign up for their product subscription so they can automatically charge you with each new item.

Analysts continue to look stupid, so humour them with their imaginations for just a few minutes.
  • Reply 39 of 67
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can see an iPad 3 and iPad 2S being released at the same time since there are still plenty of unanswered questions about the 264ppi Retina Display for the iPad regarding production rate, component cost, GPU performance and battery usage that are still unanswered.

Quote:

I could see a very high end price for the ipad 3 to make sure quantities were reasonable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Analysts don't know anything, people. This is not even a rumor, and it's not news either. It's just one analyst's opinion. And its not worth much, in my book. It's not real until Tim Cook or Phil Schiller says it's real.

Apple would clearly love to raise the bar with a "retina-quality" display, but supply and cost constraints (being reported in a variety of articles on various sites) likely won't allow a $499 model, and they won't abandon that price point IMHO.

They also - while holding an effective monopoly on "full-function tablets" - REALLY don't want to give Android a chance to do what it's done in the phone market, i.e., ever grab even numerical market share, let alone profit parity.

With these two things being the case, any anal-yst can project the release of a limited production and pricier RD/4G/higher RAM iP3 - complemented by a 4G iP2S - as a strategy that would or could achieve those goals, i.e., keeping competitors flattened while still allowing a $499 entry point for a new model. Tho' you'd think they might be called iPad 3 and iPad 3R since both would be new - and likely to both share at least a slightly revised chassis and improved battery tech (required to manage both still immature 4G chip tech and all them "purdy pixels").

But if the difference is either a hundred bucks or two hundred and you factor in the 9 existing SKU's (which would go to 6 if 4G/GSM/CDMA are combined into one chip set), you now have 12 (or so) SKU's - which are bound to overlap somewhat in price points - and that's distinctly un-Apple.

So a hypothetical higher end model might add further differentiators and a $300 premium for buyers to get those goodies. Which begins to make an iP3 top out above $1100, and I'm not sure that's a sweet spot for today's tabs.

Also, 4G is MUCH more important to maintaining their image of being both up to date as well as being the best tab around. Not including this could be a strategic error allowing others to gain a toehold.

Bottom line, I won't say a double release can't happen, but peg it well below 50-50, and think a $499 retina iPad will see the light of day in the next rev.

Quote:

I dunno how I feel about that. Probably jealousy as I'd have to go for the 2S.

Apple can't continue to cede the entire screen market between 3.5" and 9.7" to others forever. There are a lot of uses for those sizes. And a larger screened iPod Touch - whether optimized for gaming, content consumption or whatever seems a better bet than a smaller screened iPad. With the current pixel count of today's iPads squoze into the the new device's viewing surface (to keep things simple for developers and a retina-like experience).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

A half-year apart from the iPhone 4S release s in the Winter/Spring with the running iPad release cycle. I think the iPhone will stay in the Autumn release and the iPad and Touch will get updated after the new year..

I can see synchronizing the Touch and Pad product cycles, while leaving the phone on its own. Especially if they do some interesting new takes on forrm factors with the Touch line.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

A lower-cost 8GB iPad 2 would actually go really far for many users; even music-lovers, thanks to iCloud. 8GB wouldn’t be for people who want a huge portable offline media or photo library, but it would be fine for readers, surfers, communicators, and many types of gamers. People who might be tempted by a cheap tablet with a poor experience, when space is less important than having something work well.

Saved this for last - Again, with no pressure in the current form factor, I doubt Apple needs to stuff the channel with an 8GB non 3G model for say, $349.

Even with iCloud, when you're out of Wi-Fi range, you have little content with you and no net. And it would both cannibalize sales of the $499 iPads as well as provide a sub-par experience. So I say this is not happening.

If there are lots of viable competitors by next year tho', I could see them keeping this year's base model (at least 16BG) at a $399 tag.

This all gets me thinking about Siri and Wi-Fi iPads, but I'll save those thots for another post. Still, the more astute are probably already catching my drift.....
  • Reply 40 of 67
    the department of product prediction/speculation for an analyst at this level needs to be axed. I am so tired of reading them, but they always seem to surface in the main headlines of AI/Gizmodo/etc. If their primary focus was to just predict bogus products, they need to go find a REAL analyst job.

We had (yes 'had') an employee at our company that wouldn't do his primary roles, instead he had masked his roles with "What ifs" and "scenario revisiting" .. like a brainstorming meeting that never ends, and picks up spontaneously.. when that died off, he was terminated and realized a lot of time has been wasted.

I've got a lot of my own predictions, but I keep them in the venue of a forum.. not on a PR wire