Acer clinging to netbooks amid pressure from iPad, MacBook Air

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I thought that the netbook was dead dead dead.

I thought that the Air was selling gangbusters.

But even third-place Samsung sells more netbooks than Apple sells the Air. I didn't even know that Samsung made netbooks!~

All together, the netbook market dwarfs the Macbook Air market.

I've been wrong before. Guess I was wrong thinking that netbooks were dead.

Just for the record, you're always wrong.

I don't recall anyone saying that the MBA outsold netbooks. After all, the MBA is $1,000 to $1500 (or more) and netbooks are as cheap as $79.

What HAS been said is that since the release of the MBA and, more importantly, the iPad, netbook sales volumes have dropped. And even there, it has been a gradual decline rather than falling off a cliff. There haven't been any reasonable people claiming that netbooks were dead - just that their years of stratospheric growth rates were over and that tablets would bite into their sales - which is exactly what has happened.

So I guess it's no surprise that reality doesn't match your delusions.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Emerging markets?

I suppose that's a polite way of saying third world, poor as dirt countries, with poor as dirt people, because netbooks are pure garbage, and I guess that's the only market that makes sense if you happen to be selling netbooks. Nobody else wants them.

Lovely first world attitude. If you can't afford Apple, you should not have a computer at all!
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Well, I don't like junk products and netbooks qualify as junk products in my book. I'm not going to praise what I consider to be a waste of tech. Since I like Apple's computers, it is fairly obvious that devices like iPads and Macbook Airs are what I favor when it comes to light weight portable devices.

Um..you do realize there are people (billions of them) that can't afford an ipad? let alone Macbook Air's? So, for those, what are they supposed to do? Keep on using an abacus? Twiddle their fingers until they win the lottery that doesn't exist yet? Sell their kids?

Acer is talking about emerging markets. We don't live in those markets (well, most that read AppleInsider anyhow). Open your mind to the prospect that the rest of the world isn't necessarily like our country (whichever that may be).
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Depends how you define "make a killing". Apple makes all the profits in the computer industry. The cloners make nothing after sending huge checks to Microsoft for the pleasure of installing the bloated, insecure, unreliable, Windows Operating System.

Apple has already proved the commodity cloner market can not make money even via volume; it is a race to the bottom with the only winner being Microsoft.

Alright, make a killing may have been an exaggeration. On the other hand, if the cloners make 'nothing' as you say, then there would only be '1' computer manufacturer, and that would be Apple. And last I checked, that isn't the case.

If Dell, Acer, Lenovo and their ilk make 'nothing' or next to 'nothing' then they wouldn't be doing what they are doing right now. Since that is false, I think it's safe to assume that they do make money from selling computers. Just not as much as Apple. Though perspective wise, I don't recall ever hearing about how much profits (or how much more profits) Apple makes from their computer lines (Macbook series and iMac's).
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LoganHunter View Post

Netbooks only make sense to me precisely on emerging markets. You can get a netbook on a sub $300 range and, for countries with very low life standards, it can be a good choice.

For more developed countries it doesn't make sense at all. A tablet is more than enough for medium to low computation needs.

The usual 10" netbook with an Atom processor and Windows 7 Starter are no longer a good value at $299...

Look at what you can now get for $299...

• Reply 26 of 32
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

The usual 10" netbook with an Atom processor and Windows 7 Starter are no longer a good value at $299...

Look at what you can now get for $299...

Well, that's good because you can now get a netbook for under $100 (usually more like 7" screen, though). Or a 10" netbook for around $200.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I thought that the netbook was dead dead dead.

I thought that the Air was selling gangbusters.

But even third-place Samsung sells more netbooks than Apple sells the Air. I didn't even know that Samsung made netbooks!~

All together, the netbook market dwarfs the Macbook Air market.

I've been wrong before. Guess I was wrong thinking that netbooks were dead.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You've isolated a single product category within Apple's Mac product line to compare to all vendors selling netbooks and somehow came to the conclusion that Apple sucks. That's even more impressively idiotic than you comparing the iPhone to all Android-based vendors to claim Apple sucks. Way to go!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Just for the record, you're always wrong.

I don't recall anyone saying that the MBA outsold netbooks. After all, the MBA is $1,000 to $1500 (or more) and netbooks are as cheap as $79.

What HAS been said is that since the release of the MBA and, more importantly, the iPad, netbook sales volumes have dropped. And even there, it has been a gradual decline rather than falling off a cliff. There haven't been any reasonable people claiming that netbooks were dead - just that their years of stratospheric growth rates were over and that tablets would bite into their sales - which is exactly what has happened.

So I guess it's no surprise that reality doesn't match your delusions.

Check it out-- we've reached the point where if Apple doesn't dominate a segment, even when it comes to machines running Windows vs. OS X, it can be spun as disappointing or evidence that Apple isn't all it's cracked up to be. Amazing.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peppermonkey View Post

Um..you do realize there are people (billions of them) that can't afford an ipad? let alone Macbook Air's? So, for those, what are they supposed to do?

Of course I realize that.

I suppose that their predicament doesn't really concern me much. I like talking about sexy tech products, which is why I visit Apple forums like this one, and netbooks are the opposite of that.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Lovely first world attitude. If you can't afford Apple, you should not have a computer at all!

No, I never insinuated any such thing. Let them buy all the netbooks they want for all I care. I just don't think that anybody should be surprised that netbooks are going to be slammed on an Apple forum.

If somebody visits ThirdworIdinsider.com, netbooks might be highly praised for all I know.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

Not so obvious. I use OS X over Windows, and intend to buy an Android mobile device over an iOS device for the same reason - versatility.

It may not be obvious for everybody, I'm just speaking for myself.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:

Well, that's good because you can now get a netbook for under $100 (usually more like 7" screen, though). Or a 10" netbook for around $200.

Yes... but I said good VALUE.

7" netbook would be too small.... and a 10" netbook still isn't very appealing.

If the netbook is to be credited with anything... it drove the price of full-sized laptops down.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

Where are these mythical $100 netbooks? Take a look at Newegg's Netbook section. Just a year ago you had a helluva lot more options. Now, you have 37. Here is where the pricing gets interesting.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...&name=Netbooks

1 10" Android for $99.99. Yeah, no thanks.

All 7 in the 100-200 buck range are re-certified and out of stock

The 13 in the 200-300 range are all Atom processors running Win 7 Starter, except one Asus running the ASUS Express Gate OS.

The 300-400 netbooks are Atom and a few AMD C-60 processors, with 2/3 of them running 7 Home Premium over 7 Starter.

The 400-500 mostly run 7 Professional, with a couple 7 Home Premiums and a bit more variety w/Atoms, Athlon II Neo and Athlon E350 processors.

Asus has a couple of 12" models in the 500-700 range still running Atoms and 7 Home Premium. At that price tho, why buy a netbook, when you can have a more powerful laptop that doesnt' have to run Atoms?

The sweetspot for the netbook is clearly $300 or less. You can get a re-certified Acer 11.6" laptop w/a Core i3 in it for $280. $400 gets a (specwise at least) pretty decent system. Yes most of this is out of the price range of those who are having to rely o the OLPC systems, but considering most Netbooks start between $250 and $300, you may as well save a little more for a better system or just get a Nook Color or something if your needs are that basic.

The emerging markets (read:3rd world) need low cost systems to access the web and do basic computing. Tablets serve this need and companies have brought regular notebook prices all the way down to netbook prices, so I don't see the use of the Atom processor and it's competitors, unless companies are still talking about using Atom clusters for servers.

*Note. I tried posting this yesterday but my login was being wonky so some of the out of stocks may not be today, but they were yesterday