Apple asks German court to bar sales of Samsung's redesigned Galaxy Tab 10.1N

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Samsung's recent retooling of its Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet wasn't enough to ward off Apple's legal challenges, as the iPad maker has now asked a German court to stop sales of the redesigned Tab 10.1N.

Germany's Dusseldorf regional court will hold a hearing on Dec. 22 to review Apple's request, according to Dow Jones Newswires. Apple is looking to bar the German branch of Samsung from selling the new Galaxy Tab 10.1N anywhere in the European Union.

For now, Apple's challenge has no effect on sales of the device, meaning Samsung will be able to sell its touchscreen tablet during the busy holiday shopping season.

Earlier this month, Samsung made slight modifications to the Galaxy Tab 10.1, earning it the "10.1N" moniker. The changes were made in an attempt to avoid claims of design-related intellectual property infringement lodged by Apple against the original design.

The redesigned Galaxy Tab 10.1N features a metal frame that wraps around its edges. Samsung was forced to make changes after a German district court upheld a permanent ban on the original Galaxy Tab 10.1 in September.

The redesigned Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1N is shown up top. Via Mobiflip.de.

The German court hasn't been the only one to deem that Samsung's tablet looks too much like Apple's iPad. Apple also won an injunction against the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia in October.

Germany's courts have been an important battleground between Samsung and Apple in their ongoing legal disputes. A number of complaints have been filed there, including one from earlier this month in which Samsung hopes to bar the sale of Apple's 3G-capable products: the iPhone and iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The Samsung Galaxy Tab is on Woot today.

$319 - refurbished

Hurry up Fandroids, get 'em while they last.

They're sold out. They sold 4247 of them. That will certainly be taking a bite out of iPad sales.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    All Same-sung did was redesign their galaxy tab to look like a 1st-gen iPad. Did they think Apple wouldn't care about them making it look like a product they no longer sell?

Shameful Samsung. They are just being ignorant now.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The Samsung Galaxy Tab is on Woot today.

$319 - refurbished

Hurry up Fandroids, get 'em while they last.

They're sold out. They sold 4247 of them. That will certainly be taking a bite out of iPad sales.

Dang, I could use one of those for my oldest kid.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Hey Samsung. Two words: "square corners."
  • Reply 5 of 36
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    I went to the Samsung Galaxy Tab web site and I can see some similarities, but I honestly think that the Galaxy Tab is no threat to Apple. Haven't seen the news about how the Galaxy Tab in the us is a threat to Apples iPad sales.

I also went to Best Buy and saw the Galaxy Tab there and really no threat. Why is it such a big deal to block the Galaxy Tab in other countries. Maybe its because Apple doesn't have the foot hold there like they do here in the US.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Dang, I could use one of those for my oldest kid.

Apple store has refurbished 32 GB WIFI + 3G at&t iPad 1 for $399
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I also went to Best Buy and saw the Galaxy Tab there and really no threat. Why is it such a big deal to block the Galaxy Tab in other countries. Maybe its because Apple doesn't have the foot hold there like they do here in the US.

It has nothing to do with threat or no threat. It has to do with the simple concept of right and wrong.

Who cares if the Samsung copy tablet is a threat or not? Even if nobody in the world were buying it, Apple should take them down, because they violated the intellectual rights that Apple owns. And especially with Samsung being one of Apple's major suppliers, what Samsung did is extra shady.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Samsung?s design method is: copy Apple... and then maybe change it JUST enough to get away with it?or sue Apple back in the hopes that Apple won?t find its original IP worth defending.

Imagine what cool stuff we might see from Samsung if they created their own designs from scratch. Imagine the added choice we?d have in the market! Tablets don?t HAVE to look like the iPad, because clearly not all of them do.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

All Same-sung did was redesign their galaxy tab to look like a 1st-gen iPad. Did they think Apple wouldn't care about them making it look like a product they no longer sell?

They probably had that copied from the first iPad in their reverse engineering labs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple store has refurbished 32 GB WIFI + 3G at&t iPad 1 for $399

Looks like I'll never find my lost iPad. Might need to jump on that deal to hold me over.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Must give props to Samsung for finding a way to continue doing business during peak buying season. The the person who said "square corners", seems pretty obvious, but Samsung was working on a constrained time schedule. I'm sure it call came down to "what can we do in the shortest amount of time to get our products back on the shelf?"
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Hey Samsung. Two words: "square corners."

Or almost square. Just make the ends near square but rounded and use a black bevel or charcoal or something else. Then stop poaching the UI so much.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Sure...because the iPad had a larger lip on it's shorter edges...

If anything, both the iPad and iPad2 look remarkably similar to Samsung's media frame from 2006.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The German court hasn't been the only one to deem that Samsung's tablet looks too much like Apple's iPad. Apple also won an injunction against the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia in October.

I don't the issue in Australia was about the look of the device. At any rate, it's been overturned.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    double post
  • Reply 15 of 36
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    After the redesign it doesn't look a lot like the iPad. Still, I'm enjoying watching Samesung's crap getting barred.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I went to the Samsung Galaxy Tab web site and I can see some similarities, but I honestly think that the Galaxy Tab is no threat to Apple. Haven't seen the news about how the Galaxy Tab in the us is a threat to Apples iPad sales.

Apple has to defend its patents regardless of sales or those patents lose their value.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

S

<snip>

Imagine what cool stuff we might see from Samsung if they created their own designs from scratch. Imagine the added choice we?d have in the market! <snip>.

You still wouldn't see cool stuff because Samsung is incapable of creating anything. They are South Korean and copy is what they do. It was like that for Japan (mainly TVs) after WWII but they learned and now they create and innovate. South Korea has a long way to go.

Sorry if I offended the people of South Korea. It's NOT my intension.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

You still wouldn't see cool stuff because Samsung is incapable of creating anything. They are South Korean and copy is what they do. It was like that for Japan (mainly TVs) after WWII but they learned and now they create and innovate. South Korea has a long way to go.

That is pretty bigoted. You're saying that South Koreans are currently incapable of innovating.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That is pretty bigoted. You're saying that South Koreans are currently incapable of innovating.

Did you even care to notice the last line. I was speaking to the corporation's decisions to copy not to their people to create or innovate. The Korean people can innovate with the best. The corps won't let them do it because it's cheaper to copy. I am not a bigot. Maybe you are seeing mirrors where there are none.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Samsung is a leader in display and semiconductor fields and patented crucial wireless technologies. Doesnt sound like a company that cant innovate.