Apple seen selling iPad 3 HD, iPad 2S and iPad 2 in 2012

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

These rumors ruin this site. They stir up confusion over time. Repeated, they foster expectations that apple rarely fulfills. And why should apple?

heh. All about Shareholder (or prospective shareholder) expectations and value.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    That Apple might offer some configuration of the current iPad at a reduced price is not only possible but consistent with what Apple has done in the past with other product lines.

On the other hand, a so-called iPad 2S makes no sense. I can't imagine that Apple would have figured out so precisely the sweet spot for pricing on a tablet device and then abandoned that model, in a sense, by trying to market a more expensive product.

What I see is the current pricing applied to the new model and a cheaper iPad based on the current model offered to combat lower-priced competition. Then increase the size somewhat of the Touch model's screen and all your bases are covered. The low-cost iPad could fit in nicely between the larger Touch and the new iPad.

Makes sense.

Having an iPad 2S at current pricing and trying to sell a higher-specced model for more money, not so much. Way too fragmenting and risky which Apple doesn't need. Why take a chance of failing when success is all but guaranteed. By forcing customers to pay more for the latest and greatest, that opens the door to competition. Bad idea.
  • Reply 63 of 67
    Maybe I'm new at this, but I really don't see Apple keeping the iPad 2 in the marketplace once the iPad 3 hits the stores. With iMacs, iPods, MacBooks, MBP, and AppleTVs, once the new model is available, the older model is sold off and discontinued.

AFAIK, the iPhone is the only product in their lineup where the older model is kept available (albeit a cheapened version), and that's a market where the older models are regularly discounted. Why should they start this practice with the 3rd generation of the iPad, when they could just move everything to producing the newest and best iPad, keep the margins high, and still control 75% (or more) of the tablet market?
  • Reply 64 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Ferrari View Post

Maybe I'm new at this, but I really don't see Apple keeping the iPad 2 in the marketplace once the iPad 3 hits the stores. With iMacs, iPods, MacBooks, MBP, and AppleTVs, once the new model is available, the older model is sold off and discontinued.

AFAIK, the iPhone is the only product in their lineup where the older model is kept available (albeit a cheapened version), and that's a market where the older models are regularly discounted. Why should they start this practice with the 3rd generation of the iPad, when they could just move everything to producing the newest and best iPad, keep the margins high, and still control 75% (or more) of the tablet market?

Apple has also done this sort of thing with the Touch which is similar to the iPad and even with the iPad, the iPad 1 was available for a while after the iPad 2 was introduced. I think that it's not a matter of if the iPad 2 will be available at a reduced price when the 3 comes out but rather for how long.

What might work is something like the following: The Touch (US pricing) for $199, $299, and $399 for a new version with a 4" screen. The old iPad 2 in non-3G form at 16GB and 32GB only offered for $425 and $525. The new iPad 3 offered in 3G form only and coming in at $649, $749 and $849.

Price points covered ranging from $199 up to $849. 9.7" tablets covering $425 to $849. Lots of bases covered and assorted budgets accommodated. No pricing overlap. If this is how Apple does this, typical of how they do things.
  • Reply 65 of 67
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I call BS!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, because 16+5 GB… that you can't download because you have a 2GB cap… is better than 64GB that you always have with you.

I got 25GB iCloud storage and no data caps here in Japan. I get unlimited data for about $50 a month. Shame we don't get iTunes Match.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    There will not be two iPads released in the same year, period.

If they release an iPad 3 in 2012, Apple might keep the 16GB Wi-Fi-only iPad 2 available as an lower-priced sub-$499 model to kill off the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet.
  • Reply 67 of 67
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

These rumors ruin this site. They stir up confusion over time. Repeated, they foster expectations that apple rarely fulfills. And why should apple?

Uhhh.... Hmmmm.... I dunno how to break this to you, guy, but this IS (and always has been) an Apple rumors site...

(...even if it now aspires to news and reviews as well - and tho' much of the "news" consists of barely reworded company press releases.)