Weak non-iPad tablet sales reduce demand for Gorilla Glass

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This picture from the iPhone 4 video, show some alkali-aluminosilicate glass being demonstrated. We have to take a lot of steps to say the IPhone 4/4S aren't using this technology.

I'm not saying that it isn't some form of glass like Gorilla Glass.

I'm saying that it might not be Gorilla Glass and therefore any relationship between slowing Gorilla Glass sales and i devices might be complete crap.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

this is great news for the gorilla population, terrible news for poachers.

The gorillas were never in danger. Apple's chemists have invented transparent aluminum. Jony Ive couldn't be happier that aluminum is on the front and back of the iPhone.

"Hello, Siri. I want to invent transparent aluminum."
  • Reply 23 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm not saying that it isn't some form of glass like Gorilla Glass.

I'm saying that it might not be Gorilla Glass and therefore any relationship between slowing Gorilla Glass sales and i devices might be complete crap.

Ok, we clearly agree on that point.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

although Apple certainly mentions Intel and a few other key vendors

Beside Intel, which is mentioned only on Apple website and don't even put Intel's stickers on the their product like every others do, I found very little examples of which Apple make promotion of another brand.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Ok, we clearly agree on that point.

Corning has announced recently the development of Lotus Glass for high resolution devices... hmmm... I wonder which customer will be using that...
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Beside Intel, which is mentioned only on Apple website and don't even put Intel's stickers on the their product like every others do, I found very little examples of which Apple make promotion of another brand.

Has anyone seen Amazon's Kindle Fire promoting Gorilla Glass?
  • Reply 27 of 66
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Yes, we know all about that for versions 1, 2 and 3, but nothing has ever been confirmed for versions 4 and 5.

Is your next complaint going to be that Apple doesn't use Gorilla Glass made by actual gorillas?
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Quote:

Has anyone seen Amazon's Kindle Fire promoting Gorilla Glass?

Exactly,

Many products on market use Gorilla glass without anyone having any knowledge of it. Like I said in a previous post, every glass Apple put in their product use Corning process.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

The video cards, certainly. Of course, in some cases, they simply have to because developers depend on that knowledge. (The glass used on their mobile devices isn't in that category.) They also called out Bose for the 20th Anniversary Mac, and Adobe Postscript for their imaging/printing software. I agree, though, that the examples are rare.

It always struck me as strange that Corning took out ads on the back covers of MacWorld magazine, obviously at great expense, without once mentioning Apple as a client. If that was part of an agreement then that explains the coyness.

(And there is a good reason for a high-volume manufacturer not calling out its components or vendors by name. If one particular vendor has production problems or changes specs then the product manufacturer can change to another vendor without having to update sales literature, press releases, manuals, etc. In theory it should be seamless to the buyer, although every now and then a vendor-specific issue arrises and they have to be identified to the public.)
  • Reply 30 of 66
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Read the 571-page biography? These guys can't even read the article this thread is attached to! lol. These guys also deny the US ever went to the Moon.

• Reply 31 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Is your next complaint going to be that Apple doesn't use Gorilla Glass made by actual gorillas?

"Are those made from real Girl Scouts?"
  • Reply 32 of 66
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Much worse... FROM gorillas.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    Quote:

Complaint?

Hardly a complaint... but if you can show me an actual confirmation that the 4 and 4S use Gorilla Glass then that will settle it... right?
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Does it quote Steve Jobs saying "Corning Gorilla Glass" by name? If so, that's good enough for me. Otherwise I wonder if people aren't throwing the term around generically (kleenex) to describe 'tough glass'.

Yea since its been around forever and so many people use it that all fortified glass is now referred to as "Gorilla Glass" Do you think he'd refer to a Mercedes-Benz SUV as a "jeep"?
  • Reply 35 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yea since its been around forever and so many people use it that all fortified glass is now referred to as "Gorilla Glass"

Possibly.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Too bad apple is too cheap to use Gorilla Glass. Would prevent a lot of cracked phones.

Nah, you are just a sucker for a brand name.

Whether or not Apple actually uses "Gorilla Glass" (there are conflicting reports), the glass they use has pretty much the exact same properties as "Gorilla Glass". Either way it's the same.

The way I heard it Corning wanted too much money, and also wanted their name placed on the products (iPhone, iPad, etc.), and in the advertising copy and Apple refused.

Smart move if true.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Nah, you are just a sucker for a brand name.

Whether or not Apple actually uses "Gorilla Glass" (there are conflicting reports), the glass they use has pretty much the exact same properties as "Gorilla Glass". Either way it's the same.

The way I heard it Corning wanted too much money, and also wanted their name placed on the products (iPhone, iPad, etc.), and in the advertising copy and Apple refused.

Smart move if true.

... and I'd believe that the glass used isn't actually Gorilla Glass (only important in relation to the article) but a product similar to it, considering that Samsung, Motorola and Asus actually use it by name in their spec sheets but Apple, Amazon, HTC and Nokia do not (Nokia is interesting in the fact they advertised GG for the N9 but not for the Lumia 800).
  • Reply 38 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Do you think he'd refer to a Mercedes-Benz SUV as a "jeep"?

I've seen the word 'jeep' applied to Land Rovers, Ford Broncos (the originals), and various european knock-offs. (In fact, that's a somewhat poor example since 'jeep' had indeed been used generically before it became a trade name used by Willys-Overland.)

I certainly would not put it past ill-informed or outright sloppy analysts to use 'Gorilla Glass' as shorthand for 'tough glass'. Remember the discussion about Apple's control over CNC milling production and a reporter called them 'lathes'? That might seem like semantic nit-picking, but when a story depends on a specific item as the basis for second-order analysis, we need to use unambiguous terms so that we know what's being referenced.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    This is garbage to who ever has any tablet but informative to investors.Period.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    It might strong in the lab but in my experience Gorilla Glass is extremely fragile in real-world conditions.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The special glass is said to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, thanks to a chemically strengthened alkali-aluminosilicate material.

My iPhone 4 slipped out of my pocket, dropped about 3 feet and the glass completely shattered on impact with the ground. It cost me $200 to replace the front screen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company said the revised sales estimate is due to a lower demand for its scratch-proof Gorilla Glass

My month-old iPhone 4S has several permanent scratches on the front and back glass. I have never dropped it.