Where to go/ eat in D.C.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm going to Washington D.C. next week. I have some stuff to do (aka mint, capitol, Tyson's Corner, air + space), but that is hardly enough to fill 4 days. Should I go to any museums there? Are there any museums that have macs on display? Any internet cafes?

Also, having never been there, I don't know where to eat. Are there any restraunts I HAVE to go to while there? We're staying downtown, but I don't mind going out as long as it's on the metro.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Tyson's? Hummmmm? The city is safer these days. Hate to say it.

Mount Vernon. Have to go there. New FDR memorial. It's sucks but you can say you went. The Capitol is fun. You used to be able to goto open meetings and ride the underground train. I don't know if you can still do that. National Gallery.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    I know that it's not too safe to be leaving the city and going into the suburbs, but I'm not going to let a stupid sniper ruin my trip. There is a metro station right by the mall, so I won't be outside for long, and I doubt he'd shoot anyone INSIDE a crowded mall.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by iDude:

<strong>I know that it's not too safe to be leaving the city and going into the suburbs, but I'm not going to let a stupid sniper ruin my trip. There is a metro station right by the mall, so I won't be outside for long, and I doubt he'd shoot anyone INSIDE a crowded mall.</strong><hr></blockquote>

1) cross Chain bridge into VA.

2) take right on Chain Bridge road.

3) If memory serves, this turns into the Dulles Toll Road. Get off on 495 (S / to Richmond) before the tolls.

4) Get off 495 on the Exit that says Tysons Corner.

Now, most of these roads are pretty busy, and I don't think the sniper has shot any people in cars yet. Tyson is very busy, and it's indoor. You have nothing to worry about. . . . except.

DON'T GO DURING RUSH HOUR!!!

Next, it's hard to tell you places to go to eat, sicne there are so many. But a better guide would be Washingtonian Magazine. They pubish, each year, a list of good area restaurants in all price ranges. They also produce a "Best Cheap Eats" edition once a year.

But, if you're into Chinese and seafood, I'll tell you this. Tony Cheung's seafood restaurant is good and cheap. It is always the only cheap restaurant that makes 4 stars in the mag. I can personally attest.

It's in Chinatown.

And, if you want a change of pace, take the Red Line Metro (or Drive) to Bethesda. There are a ton of restaurants in Bethesda, but not any tourist attractions that I can think of.

Other stuff: Having lived in DC, I'm not the one to ask about tourist spots, since I've never been a tourist. But I'll point out a few things that always attract tourists.

1) Monuments: All of 'em.

2) Museums: All of 'em

The area of the Mall is surrounded by a lot of Museums. You can hit up a bunch without too much trouble. Also new is the "Spy Museum" though I haven't been there. If I were you, I'd do Air&Space, American History, Natural History. . . Those are the big ones. Our Art Galleries are minor league if you compare to New York's.

3) Georgetown:

There are a lot of cafe-type places, bars, and shops here. A lot of movies (that take place in DC) have Georgetown scenes.

4) Capitol:

The building. There are tours inside. More interesting than going up the Washington Monument, if you ask me.

Other than that, find a book or map of DC and plan accordingly. Have fun.

. . . .

If you were to come down in late December, Jonathan and I have been hankering to put on the AI brawl on the mall, where we invite Ars Readers and the MacNN kids and then beat 'em up.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>

Mount Vernon. Have to go there.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I second that. I remember when I went there when I was little. Had a lot of fun.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>If you were to come down in late December, Jonathan and I have been hankering to put on the AI brawl on the mall, where we invite Ars Readers and the MacNN kids and then beat 'em up. </strong><hr></blockquote>

heh.

Heh.

Heh.

Dibs on using an iron bollard as a weapon.

I hear that bollards + rib cages = fun time gold.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Wear a kevlar vest. Seriously.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    As far as art museums-the best are The National Gallery,The Hirshorn,The Corcoran,The Museum of American Art and The Freer-don't miss the Freer it's not that well known,but it is a great museum-mostly devoted to Whistler and his circle-but the paintings have the most beautiful frames you have seen-normally I am totally indifferent to framing but this is on a nother plane.

Nighthlife-go to Georgetown and hit a lot of bars.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    tooltool Posts: 242member
    Places to eat:

Adams Morgan...a great area that has a variety of ethnic foods. Mmmmmmmmm...assuming that it's still the hot spot for food. Was back in 92-94
  • Reply 9 of 39
    The Freer is very good.

Also note that the city to the south on all the road signs is Springfield, not Richmond.

There are good placed to eat in Old Town Alexandria. You can take the Metro there but then have to hoof it East. The Old Time Cafe has 3-5-27(?) way chili.

fsck. One time we were in NoVA at what looked like a good "italian" place. The waitress asked us "Would you like olive oil for your bread....it's italian butter". Wholly crap.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    I liked Hard Times cafe...great chili there (Texas, Cinci, and Vegi).
  • Reply 11 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by TOOL:

<strong>I liked Hard Times cafe...great chili there (Texas, Cinci, and Vegi).</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes. . . Hard Times!

It's a local chain. If you go, get the Texas Style chili. The terlinguina red seems promising, but nobody orders it and the Texas is much fresher.

Plus, the Terlinguina isn't hot at all. I was dissappointed.

But, if you go to Hard Times, be prepared to eat a lot and to say goodbye to 3 weeks of your life.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    I usually got the mix of Texas and Veggie...mmmmmmm hot and spicy. That and a bottle or two of Dos Eques (ok..don't kill me on the spelling of that beer) would make for a great meal..damn..wish there was one here!
  • Reply 13 of 39
    For a cool piece of history that I think a lot of people don't get to when they're in DC, go to the National Archives, where it's cool to actually see some of the documents that you're boring history teacher goes on about.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Oh yea Hard Times. My wife couldn't remember the name.

Go see the Bill of Rights, good idea. Kind of an important document.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    The concensus seems to be that I have to go to Hard Times cafe. Where is it? Anyone got a map? And what type of atmosphere is it?

I almost forgot about the national archives. I'll try to stop there if I have time.

Also, are there any good musicals / shows in town now. I know it's not NY, but if there's anything good, I'd like to go.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Check the Kennedy Center for arts/shows, that kind of stuff.

If you're into jazz, look at blues alley in Georgetown. Probably one of the best jazz clubs in the nation.

Georgetown is probably the most restaurants/square foot in all of DC... can't really go too wrong... Bistro Francais is a tradition around here, it's EXCELLENT.

If you're looking for 'lawyer food' -aka steakhouses- those are more downtown. Dupont Circle has some good places (the sushi at Dragonfly is incredibly good)

Adams Morgan is the place to go for ethnic food of any sort, really. Good fun times to be had up there, as well.

blah blah blah. let me know if you've got any more questions..
  • Reply 17 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by iDude:

<strong>The concensus seems to be that I have to go to Hard Times cafe. Where is it? Anyone got a map? And what type of atmosphere is it?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.hardtimes.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.hardtimes.com/</a>;

Very casual atmosphere. You won't pay more than 10 dollars for the food unless you plan on eating more than 5000 calories. I usually end up paying $5 for the small bowl. The $7 large bowl is enormous, but given the small cost difference, it's usually worth it even if you don't finish.

There are multiple locations. The Bethesda one is probably the most accessible for you.

4920 Del Ray Avenue

Bethesda, Maryland 20814

(301) 951-3300

My parents live in Bethesda. It's about a 10 min drive from DC or a 4 minute subway trip, and it has its own subway stop on the red line, though Hard Times Cafe is about one mile from the subway station.

[ 10-20-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Holocaust Museum

I?m sure you can?t get tickets but for future planning.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    There was a kick ass Japanese restaurant I used go to in Georgetown. I took my wife there on our first date. I should take her there again when we are back there for the holidays. Costs $$$ though.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Bethesda as the most accesible Hard Times Cafe? No! I say the one in Alexandria or Clarendon...probably Clarendon as it has a metro stop nearby.

How about Hamburger Hamlet in Georgetown off of M street?

Damn, I'm gonna have to take a trip back up to DC...the memories of that place