Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    deleted
  • Reply 42 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Complaint?

Hardly a complaint... but if you can show me an actual confirmation that the 4 and 4S use Gorilla Glass then that will settle it... right?

Just ask Siri.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Nah, you are just a sucker for a brand name.

Whether or not Apple actually uses "Gorilla Glass" (there are conflicting reports), the glass they use has pretty much the exact same properties as "Gorilla Glass". Either way it's the same.

The way I heard it Corning wanted too much money, and also wanted their name placed on the products (iPhone, iPad, etc.), and in the advertising copy and Apple refused.

Smart move if true.

That's what they tell unknowing cell phone buyers.

"Even though Samsung doesn't actually uses "iOS", the OS they use has pretty much the exact same properties as "iOS". Either way it's the same.

The way I see it, Apple wants too much money, and also has other issues, and most buyers refused.

Smart move to buy Android phones, if true."
  • Reply 44 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by battlehamster View Post

Just ask Siri.

Siri told me that if I wanted to mate with gorillas that's my business but to keep her out of it.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

It was part of the deal where both party can't mention each other relation, but every Apple glass product (iPod, iPhone, iPad, MacBook, iMac) are using Corning Gorilla glass from day 1.

You are exactly right. (I can't tell you why or how I know this).
  • Reply 46 of 66
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Siri told me that if I wanted to mate with gorillas that's my business but to keep her out of it.

Try mating with Siri! You gonna have to deal with the Gorilla (glass).
  • Reply 47 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You are exactly right. (I can't tell you why or how I know this).

... or they'll send gorillas after you... right?!
  • Reply 48 of 66
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

every Apple glass product (iPod, iPhone, iPad, MacBook, iMac) are using Corning Gorilla glass from day 1.

Well, iMacs and Macbooks were't using GG "since day 1". (The original iMacs used CRTs, remember?)

But they are using it now? That sounds a little extravagant since they aren't intended for the same sort of unprotected knocking about that the mobile devices are. Certainly not the iMac.

(Or maybe Gorilla Glass isn't all that expensive to make. I have no idea.)
  • Reply 49 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

But they are using it now? That sounds a little extravagant since they aren't intended for the same sort of unprotected knocking about that the mobile devices are. Certainly not the iMac.

The glass panels do appear quite thin and flexible. Sounds like alkali-aluminosilicate glass to me.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

I've seen the word 'jeep' applied to Land Rovers, Ford Broncos (the originals), and various european knock-offs. (In fact, that's a somewhat poor example since 'jeep' had indeed been used generically before it became a trade name used by Willys-Overland.)

I certainly would not put it past ill-informed or outright sloppy analysts to use 'Gorilla Glass' as shorthand for 'tough glass'. Remember the discussion about Apple's control over CNC milling production and a reporter called them 'lathes'? That might seem like semantic nit-picking, but when a story depends on a specific item as the basis for second-order analysis, we need to use unambiguous terms so that we know what's being referenced.

It's not a sloppy journalist we're discussing said but Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

Ummm we're discussing Gorilla Glass not gorilla ass.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

You seriously need a Reality check here...

Apple contacted Corning few years before they announced the iPhone. At that time, Corning had patent for the Gorilla glass but never produce it before Apple ask them samples.

It was part of the deal where both party can't mention each other relation, but every Apple glass product (iPod, iPhone, iPad, MacBook, iMac) are using Corning Gorilla glass from day 1.

shhh!

You don't want to burst the little Fandroid's bubble of perceived superiority via exclusivity.

Sometimes little white lies are better than breaking hearts.

• Reply 53 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

According to the Steve Jobs biography, Apple has been using Gorilla Glass from Corning since BEFORE it was marketed as Gorilla Glass. They called Corning to solve a problem and Corning pulled Gorilla Glass out to meet the need. That was for the iPhone classic.

For the iPhone yes. The article is talking about iPads.
  • Reply 54 of 66
    Quote:

Well, iMacs and Macbooks were't using GG "since day 1". (The original iMacs used CRTs, remember?)

(Or maybe Gorilla Glass isn't all that expensive to make. I have no idea.)

Ok, I'll be more precise.

Every Apple product with glass screen and black bevel is made of Gorilla Glass, which include but not restricted to: The iPhone All generation, The iPod Touch all generation, the MacBook and MacBook Air since the Unibody design, The iMac since the Aluminium model and the glass trackpad on MacBook and Magic Trackpad is also made of Gorilla glass.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    Quote:

Every Apple product with glass screen and black bevel is made of Gorilla Glass, which include but not restricted to: The iPhone All generation, The iPod Touch all generation, the MacBook and MacBook Air since the Unibody design, The iMac since the Aluminium model and the glass trackpad on MacBook and Magic Trackpad is also made of Gorilla glass.

I had never heard that the aluminum iMacs or Macbooks used it as well. I guess it was a pretty well-kept secret.
  • Reply 56 of 66
    Quote:

I had never heard that the aluminum iMacs or Macbooks used it as well. I guess it was a pretty well-kept secret.

Nor you should have heard about the iPhone and the iPad, Apple has never gone public on this. It's not a well-kept secret, it's only a matter of no media is interested to write on this.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    Here is an article explaining Apple relation with Corning:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/techno...e1-767219.aspx
  • Reply 58 of 66
    Apple are happy for us to call it whatever we want.

They themselves will simply buy from the supplier that is most cost effective for the desired quality.

Fragility itself is always double edged sword. The positive being a nice little earner in aftersale repairs.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    Quote:

Here is an article explaining Apple relation with Corning:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/techno...e1-767219.aspx

I have to say that after three years of casually following Gorilla Glass stories, I've learned more in this one thread than all the other articles to date. Thanks for the info.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    Maybe someone can dig this up, because I can't remember when or where I read it.

I seem to recall reading a blog post or 2 a few years back that covered an email reply from Steve to a customer regarding Gorilla Glass. The customer had emailed to ask why the iPhone didn't use Gorilla Glass when it was so amazing, and it could help the durability of the phone.

Steve's reply (IIRC) was that they already did use Gorilla Glass, they just didn't go around shouting it from the rooftops.

I'll see if I can find a link, but if anyone else knows what I'm talking about in the meantime, feel free.