Australian court overturns ban on Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Apple to appeal

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    Thank God, the injunction should have NEVER been granted in the first place. I hate the look and feel issues....

Only a complete idiot could buy the Galaxy and think it was an iPad. You cannot stupid proof a product...
  • Reply 62 of 121
    Someone's sarcasm detector needs adjustment.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

I completely and utterly disagree. The Galaxy Tab isn't a new device category at all.

The Galaxy Tab is definitely Samsung's/Google's take on the same tablet market the iPad is in.

• Reply 63 of 121
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

The Samsung Galaxy Tab clearly 'has its own identity', one quite different than that of Apple devices, as it features a completely different aspect-ratio/screen resolution, is constructed using a completely different materials, has absolutely no [HOME] button anywhere on its front surface, has cameras in completely different locations, utilizes a completely different back panel design, and is both thinner and lighter than my iPad 2.

The differences become even more obvious when one powers up each device to find completely different unlock screens, and Completely Different Operating Systems.

As for your 'neighbor argument': Some of my neighbors still ask my wife if her Jaguar XKR is an Aston Martin, but that says more about their individual ignorance than anything else, which is clearly the case with those who can't tell a Samsung Galaxy Tab from and iPad 2.

Apple's doing little more than trying to block the competition, and it appears that some in the legal system won't support such an attempt purely for anti-competive purposes.

Why did Samsung make it 16:9 if the intent was to slavishly copy the iPad? It seems that it would look a lot more like an iPad if it were the same shape as an iPad. As it is, it looks like a stark and distinct choice.
  • Reply 64 of 121
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

You pictures show it truely is a copy. Exactly same curved corners. Exactly same width bevel. Exactly same aluminum trim. Oh, the aspect ration is different. Clearly Samesung innovated there. Of course, their tablets before the iPad looked nothing remotely like this is beyond the point, right?

Really?

The radius on the corners of my Galaxy Tab are much tighter than my iPad 2... So, You're Wrong

The bevel on the Galaxy Tab is considerably more rounded than my iPad 2... So, You're Wrong.

The casing of my Galaxy Tab is made completely of HQ plastics, not aluminum... So, Wrong Again!

So... Given the level of complete ignorance you've displayed in your post, it's likely that you don't even own both devices, and until you do, you'll just be another talking-point spewing fanatic with absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

• Reply 65 of 121
    Quote:

Really?

The radius on the corners of my Galaxy Tab are much tighter than my iPad 2... So, You're Wrong

The bevel on the Galaxy Tab is considerably more rounded than my iPad 2... So, You're Wrong.

The casing of my Galaxy Tab is made completely of HQ plastics, not aluminum... So, Wrong Again!

So... Given the level of complete ignorance you've displayed in your post, it's likely that you don't even own both devices, and until you do, you'll just be another talking-point spewing fanatic with absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/18/table...fter-the-ipad/

It sure is strange how tablets looked nothing remotely like the iPad before the iPad was introduced, and now all look like the iPad. Oh but it has a slightly different resolution, and a slightly different this or that...obviously it is not a blatant rip off...just a coincidence. Or as the fandroids and microsoft drones like to say, that is how the technology was naturally evolving.
  • Reply 66 of 121
    Quote:

Really?

Now Now,

You are bringing logic and reason to a fanboy internet discussion. That cannot be tolerated....
  • Reply 67 of 121
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    [insult removed]
  • Reply 68 of 121
    Quote:

It sure is strange how tablets looked nothing remotely like the iPad before the iPad was introduced, and now all look like the iPad. Oh but it has a slightly different resolution, and a slightly different this or that...obviously it is not a blatant rip off...just a coincidence. Or as the fandroids and microsoft drones like to say, that is how the technology was naturally evolving.

It sure is strange (read: desperate) how you've now changed your argument from 'comparing radii' to the nonsense you posted above.

...and in an effort to elevate you from your current state of complete ignorance, my 2003 Compaq TC1000 'looks very similar' to my iPads, featuring numerous design elements that were, some 7 years later, to appear on the Apple iPad almost verbatim, including a bezel width that is remarkably similar, the exact same corner radii, the same native/portrait display orientation, as well as exactly the same screen aspect ratio and resolution.

...just a coincidence - Most Likely Not. ;-)

• Reply 69 of 121
    Quote:

Really?

I think that a lot of people like the "grid of icons" look and feel of the iPad. All the icons are in neat rows, and all of the folders look basically the same, which adds a lot of comfort and the promise of simplicity.

The Samsung UI is not nearly so simple.
  • Reply 70 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I think that a lot of people like the "grid of icons" look and feel of the iPad. All the icons are in neat rows, and all of the folders look basically the same, which adds a lot of comfort and the promise of simplicity.

The Samsung UI is not nearly so simple.

As one who owns over a dozen iOS devices, I, too, appreciate the simplicity of the UI (and the same configuration can be utilized on Android devices), but there are other times when I just want information at a glance (via live widgets/tiles and the like), which is where my Android and WP7 devices come in.

Of course, your post really has nothing to do with the debate a hand, though your input is still appreciated.
  • Reply 71 of 121
    Quote:

It sure is strange (read: desperate) how you've now changed your argument from 'comparing radii' to the nonsense you posted above.

...and in an effort to elevate you from your current state of complete ignorance, my 2003 Compaq TC1000 'looks very similar' to my iPads, featuring numerous design elements that were, some 7 years later, to appear on the Apple iPad almost verbatim, including a bezel width that is remarkably similar, the exact same corner radii, the same native/portrait display orientation, as well as exactly the same screen aspect ratio and resolution.

But the iPad is much thinner.
  • Reply 72 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

But the iPad is much thinner.

...and my Galaxy Tab 10.1 is also thinner than my iPad 2.

• Reply 73 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

I hate a life, you dont.

You hate a life?
  • Reply 74 of 121
    Quote:

not that picture again ......... all that rugged tablet, seriously?

they still sell it anyway

http://www.panasonic.com/business/to...ughbook-h2.asp

and the Joojoo tablet

• Reply 75 of 121
    Quote:

Sure as hell destroyed that argument.
  • Reply 76 of 121
    I'm laughing at all the pictures of the corners posted by DaHarder. More picturez won't make that dead horse die any faster. Look, just because this abomination doesn't match a BMW X5 up close, curve for curve, doesn't mean it wasn't a blatant design rip-off.

Sure, you could park one next to a real X5 and say, "you have to be blind to mistake that for a BMW!" But it's still an intentional copy.

From http://www.businessweek.com/autos/au..._mercedes.html
  • Reply 77 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Sure as hell destroyed that argument.

Thanks - It's a gift...
  • Reply 78 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm laughing at all the pictures of the corners posted by DaHarder. More picturez won't make that dead horse die any faster. Look, just because this abomination doesn't match a BMW X5 up close, curve for curve, doesn't mean it wasn't a blatant design rip-off.

Sure, you could park one next to a real X5 and say, "you have to be blind to mistake that for a BMW!" But it's still an intentional copy.

Desperate (and ultimately fail-laden) stawman argument you're attempting there.

I wasn't the one who initially made all those outlandish claims of 'copying', but I sure shut them down - With Photographic Facts!!
  • Reply 79 of 121
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

And, yet, you STILL haven't explained how the Samsung attorney was unable to tell them apart if they're nothing alike.
  • Reply 80 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And, yet, you STILL haven't explained how the Samsung attorney was unable to tell them apart if they're nothing alike.

Never once did I post anything about the device being 'nothing alike', so please stop with the lies already, and as for the actions of the aforementioned attorney, I wasn't there, therefore I can't speak of said individual's level of product knowledge or degree of gadget ignorance, but when presented with ridiculous claims of 'exact' this and 'exactly the same' that by some rabid brand-fanatic on a gadget site, I sure disproved every, single false claim they made.