Rumor: Apple axed 'evolutionary' 64-bit Final Cut Pro 8 for 'revolutionary' FCPX

Comments

• Reply 101 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Tweaking the sync is not always as easy as you say. For lip sync, not every part of a songs lyrics is easy to visually align the audio using free form frame at a time nudging. It would be way too tedious especially with multiple cameras. You need to do it by the numbers, not just eyeballing it.

I have to yield to your greater experience -- I wouldn't begin to know how to approach editing something like you described in your prior post.

However, Apple has said they will add [true] multi cam support in the next FCP X release. I suspect that they well understand what the pros require.

In addition, this should be a good test to see if Apple can add features to the new FCP X code base in a timely fashion...

...Supposedly, that is one of the major reasons for rewriting from the ground up and abandoning the FCP 7 architecture.
  • Reply 102 of 148
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So Apple please go back and finish it! There is room for FCPro 8 and Final Cut X. Just drop iMovie for X and you're all set.

Fortunately, you're not runnin Apple. Despite all the whining FCP X is absolutely pro quality, and offers up a new paradigm for professional editors. Apple also has a roadmap for adding more features soon. Meanwhile, iMovie is much simpler and perfect for the types of projects the average consumer does at a very attractive price point.
  • Reply 103 of 148
    Quote:

Wow .. great post ... I can't wait for the fall out from this one

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few I suppose:

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2...te-ar-1542518/
  • Reply 104 of 148
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I have to yield to your greater experience -- I wouldn't begin to know how to approach editing something like you described in your prior post.

However, Apple has said they will add [true] multi cam support in the next FCP X release. I suspect that they well understand what the pros require.

In addition, this should be a good test to see if Apple can add features to the new FCP X code base in a timely fashion...

...Supposedly, that is one of the major reasons for rewriting from the ground up and abandoning the FCP 7 architecture.

Once they get multi-cam and my subtitles xml plug-in is compatible, I could see it being usable since I don't work in a multi seat environment. It is just me. I just need those two things, although I am definitely not looking forward to the learning curve. Except for the speed issue I'm am fine with FCP7. It just isn't that fast at rendering or previewing.
  • Reply 105 of 148
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blur35mm View Post

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few I suppose:

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/2...te-ar-1542518/

I was actually meaning the references to other regulars here on AI and their attributed levels of credibility nothing to do with your thread.
  • Reply 106 of 148
    Quote:

I was actually meaning the references to other regulars here on AI and their attributed levels of credibility nothing to do with your thread.

Meant to respond to the other guy but responded to your post by mistake. The point is had that one person not spoken up and called to complain about the smoke, Apple would never have known their actions were inadvertently affecting others.
  • Reply 107 of 148
    Quote:

BTW you obviously have an axe to grind with MSFT, I on the other hand pick the tools that work best for me. Some people hate Apple because of Chinese labor conditions. Some people hate MSFT because they are considered an evil capitalist corporation that buys up competitors in monopolistic fashion. Pick the lesser of two evils if you wish, but for me, it's what works best for what I do.

Nothing so dramatic. I, like The Crazy One, believe that Microsoft "has no taste." Microsoft has thrown some pretty awful products into the market with little or no care, just to grab marketshare. Simply put, I hate using Windows, Office, and all the rest. I'm still forced to every day on the job. It's a horrible user experience. So, on the suggestion of none other than Bill Gates himself, who once said in an interview that Microsoft was not a monopoly because customers could CHOOSE to use their software or not, I made a choice about my own computers: to not use Microsoft technology. In other words, I followed Bill Gates' advice. He's right: they are not a monopoly. Apple makes the non-Microsoft choice tolerable, even gleefully enjoyable (and it sure beats the Linux user experience).
  • Reply 108 of 148
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    As S Jobs said, "which market would you sell to?"

30,000 film / TV nerds and pros, or 10 million prosumers like me?
  • Reply 109 of 148
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Apple's target market went from University/IT/Creative Pros to middle-to-upper class households that drink Keurig Coffee while they use iPads to read books on their IKEA couch, pondering which wine to have with their Chicken & Gnocchi soup for dinner tonight, as their MacBook Pro is downloading the latest iTunes Movie Rental over 50MB broadband in the living room of a $150K house or $2000/mo apartment in the city, while their Ugg boots dry nicely in the corner beside their North Face winter coat.

This is one of the stupidest things I have read on this forum - and that includes the time before I put DaHarder on my ignore list! If Apple didn't care about the pro market, they wouldn't have even bothered with Final Cut Pro X.

Final Cut Pro X is geared for the future of video - tapeless, file-based editing. If you still need tape, there are several plug-ins that will handle the gaps. Final Cut Pro X and the plugins cost less than the old FCP suite.

Not communicating on issues like Multicam and cutting sales of the previous Final Cut before Final Cut Pro X had feature parity with the old suite were perhaps Apple's biggest mistakes. Releasing Final Cut Pro X was not a mistake, nor a sign that they don't care about the Pro market. In two years, new projects will start to be cut on Final Cut Pro X, and as more and more video shifts to tapeless workflow, the gap between the rest of the industry and Final Cut Pro X will grow.

This reminds me of the fuss on the change from film to digital - most of what I read about Final Cut Pro X is exactly the same. Apple is once again pushing forward ahead of the rest of the industry and their users - good for them! Otherwise we would be stuck with traditional editing interfaces for who knows how long
  • Reply 110 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Courage is what make me respect Apple, more than ITs products.

Courage IS SO undervalued in techWorld.

Absolutely. Spot on.
  • Reply 111 of 148
    Quote:

Below is the Mac Pro Refresh Schedule from MacRumors.

Pssst - why don't you cross reference to the release schedule of the Intel Xeon CPUs contained within those Mac Pro's?

Quote:

If this isn't enough to convince you they are abandoning the Pro's

No, it's not since all it proves is you don't understand the technology you are attempting to comment on.

Quote:

...also - by the time they have those features studios will have cross-graded already.

And they will switch back once tapeless becomes the normal workflow and FCPX is the only app written from the ground up around that workflow.

Quote:

Apple has given ZERO assurances that they are not abandoning the Pro's.

Huh? The lead developer demoed a pre-release version before a major show. They have actively engaged respected editors throughout the industry. They have publicly stated multiple times they are not abandoning the pro market.

It has "Pro" in the name!!! If they didn't care about pro's why even bother naming the product like they did?

Quote:

During the FCPX debacle they begrudgingly caved

If you are referring to reversing themselves on selling the previous version, I do agree there - that was their biggest mistake - followed closely by waiting far too long to talk about future plans for obviously missing features like multicam. But I don't begrudge them for shipping it now - there are plenty of people who don't need multicam that are benefitting from FCPX now.

Quote:

and they have done nothing to counter the Mac Pro death rumors.

Apple never discusses future product plans - so I'm not sure, other than pouting, what people are upset about here. And they are not getting rid of the Pro. It may not have the volume of other systems, but it has far to many attributes that make it necessary. It's not an Xserve waiting to happen...

Quote:

If they want us to buy iMacs that we cannot get in and out of easily for 3rd party cards and upgrades then why bother?

I have a Mac Pro and I still can't get decent third party graphics card support without hacking I'm far less concerned about them dropping the Pro and far more concerned that they seem to be loosing interest in releasing better graphics card choices

Quote:

It is going to take a long time for manufacturers to catch up with Thunderbolt so what happens in the mean time?

Thunderbolt can't replace a single 16 lane PCI express card slot - let alone two of 'em and three 4 lane slots. Thunderbolt is cool, but it can't touch the bandwidth available in the Mac Pro.

Quote:

Can get faster hardware cheaper and the days of apps being exclusive to OS X are gone as Windows developers have come a long way. Basically you are paying a premium for OS X.

Yup, I happily pay a premium for Mac OSX. And windows "coming a long way" may be good enough for you, but not me.

Choice is good.

Quote:

I am struggling to understand why they are abandoning power users and Pros. Makes no sense to me.

Perhaps because they aren't? Couldn't that be the real source of your confusion?

Quote:

Again, if they give us some assurances then my arguments will go away but having been a life long Pro Mac User it is disheartening.

If you are looking for warm fuzzies and daily affirmations then Apple is not the company for you. I'm sure Dell or HP would be more than happy to tell you their future plans. Heck, Microsoft too. Then again, it doesn't mean they will make those days or deliver on their promises - but at least they are assuring you

I never get this "need" by people about what isn't shipping. If it isn't shipping, it doesn't exist. I'm far more interested in a companies overall track record of delivering - and Apple delivers. Not always in the ways that people expect, but the vast majority of the time they are right vs. wrong.
  • Reply 112 of 148
    Quote:

Below is the Mac Pro Refresh Schedule from MacRumors. If this isn't enough to convince you they are abandoning the Pro's...also - by the time they have those features studios will have cross-graded already. Apple has given ZERO assurances that they are not abandoning the Pro's. During the FCPX debacle they begrudgingly caved and they have done nothing to counter the Mac Pro death rumors. If they want us to buy iMacs that we cannot get in and out of easily for 3rd party cards and upgrades then why bother? It is going to take a long time for manufacturers to catch up with Thunderbolt so what happens in the mean time? Can get faster hardware cheaper and the days of apps being exclusive to OS X are gone as Windows developers have come a long way. Basically you are paying a premium for OS X. I am struggling to understand why they are abandoning power users and Pros. Makes no sense to me. Again, if they give us some assurances then my arguments will go away but having been a life long Pro Mac User it is disheartening.

???

491 days

07/2010

511 days

03/2009

420 days

01/2008

279 days

04/2007

240 days

08/2006

292 days

Problem with your theory about Mac Pro Updates is that Intel was suppossed to release the Sandy Bridge Xeons this year and did not they are now expected to be released in the spring See link http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...socket-trinity

And Ivy Bridge Xeons were suppossed to be release in 2012, but will be pushed back to late 2012 instead of early like they were suppossed to be.

Apple can not update the Mac Pros without the Processors from intel.

Also they are running the current up to date version of the xeon that intel is shipping now in the current mac pros
  • Reply 113 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

I question a lot of the criticism out there. How much of it are legitimate complaints, and how much of it are simply people refusing any sort of change.

Bingo...
  • Reply 114 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

What's courageous about taking the easy path?

Totally rewriting an application from the ground up is "taking the easy path"?

I'd hate to see your definition of "taking the hard path"
  • Reply 115 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

When you think about it, wouldn't the "easy path" be to simply update FCP8?

Actually, it's not. There was no "simply" - FCP7 is full of legacy code, and with the 64 bit push of Lion combined with all the cool technology like OpenCL that FCP7 didn't take advantage of, I can see where Apple rightly decided to "burn the house down" and start over.

The worst thing they did was drop sales of FCP7 - they should have kept it up until FCPX and the plugins caught up. But as for FCPX? In a couple of years these discussions are going to look pretty silly...
  • Reply 116 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

By easy path, I meant it's easier (and more economically rewarding) to cater to people who fall for buzzwords like "magical" and are happy if their Angry Birds player comes in multiple colors, as opposed to making products based on what the user requires as opposed to what looks pretty.

Again, what a load of crap.

If that is really what Apple was doing they wouldn't have expended the energy to write FCPX from scratch - they would have just dropped FCP7 after milking it for another couple of years.

Sheesh - the inability of some to see the big picture - particularly after being practically smacked over the head with it - is hard to believe.
  • Reply 117 of 148
    Quote:

That was a pretty significant market penetration.

And it didn't happen overnight. Avid used to be over 80% at one point.

Quote:

I wonder how many of those are now using FCProX instead ... I seriously doubt many: I really hope Apple are looking into going back to 8 and finishing it for pros.

Not gonna happen. FCP8 is dead - and thank goodness! FCPX, like the original, will mature and come into it's own over time. The foundation is there, as has been pointed out in quotes provided in quotes throughout this and other threads by those who make their living day in and day out doing this stuff.

FCPX is the future, and for most it's a little ahead of the game. Once the everyone else catches up to where FCPX is now, FCPX will be a mature and well entrenched app. Competitors aren't going to be able to simply slap a few UI tweaks on and continue with business as usual.

Heck, things like OpenCL are still evolving... and FCPX is built from the ground up fully embracing all of the modern foundations that Apple has been laying over the past 10 years in Mac OSX.

As I said, the biggest bungle that Apple did was to cancel FCP7 simultaneously with FCPX - which they finally (and as others said, grudgingly) reversed. But that's just a political/perception issue. It has nothing to do with the long term strategic direction Apple is moving with FCPX which in the long run will more than pan out.
  • Reply 118 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Apple has and is abandoning the prosumer market.

Your welcome to think that, but it doesn't make it true
  • Reply 119 of 148
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

The day Apple releases an option for a professional display (35 cents worth of chemical coating), is the day you know Apple wants professionals looking at their products again.

Sadly, that day hasn't come.

Yes, because it's so hard to get a non-Apple display

Professional whiner maybe...
  • Reply 120 of 148
    It was proven to be bullshit the same day fcp.co posted it.

Why this guy's statement was been given any credence or merit is completely beyond me. And he jumped in the same day it was published (November 25th) and told them himself they were wrong.

I've already had it out with fcp.co about their reporting on this, but shame on AppleInsider for relinking and spreading this garbage.

A guy in a video said it, so it must be true!