Apple said to be discussing 2012 launches of LTE 4G iPad, iPhone with carriers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is gearing up to release new iPad and iPhone models in 2012 that will connect to long-term evolution 4G high-speed data networks, according to a new report [updated].

As relayed by Macotakara on Wednesday, Japan's Nikkei Business reported that carrier NTT DoCoMo is in talks to release an LTE-capable iPad in the summer of 2012. That would be followed by a new 4G LTE iPhone in the autumn, or one year after the iPhone 4S launched.

Executives with the wireless carrier were said to have visited the U.S. in mid-November to talk with Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook. The two parties allegedly agreed to begin "full-scale negotiations" for the sale of LTE-capable iPhones and iPads.

Update: NTT DoCoMo has denied the report in a press release, stating there is "no basic agreement" in place with Apple.

The original report runs in contrast to an earlier report this month from The Wall Street Journal, which claimed that negotiations between Apple and NTT DoCoMo came to a standstill. It was said that the two parties reached an impasse over the carrier wishing to install proprietary applications on the iPhone, something that Apple would not agree to.

NTT DoCoMo President and Chief Executive Ryuji Yamada said it was difficult for his company to offer the iPhone because of large commitment requirements and Apple's control over the iOS platform. But the latest report claims that Yamada came to the U.S. in mid-November to discuss Apple's apparent next-generation LTE products and a potential partnership.

Claims of a 4G LTE iPhone and iPad are not new, and rumors have persisted for years that Apple plans to build such devices. There were even scattered reports claiming that the iPhone 4S would feature LTE, though most reports prior to the device's announcement pegged 4G as a feature more likely to appear in 2012.

Reports from earlier this year claimed that Apple had eyed building an LTE-capable iPhone in 2011, but opted to push back the launch of such a device in 2012. It was said that the implementation of LTE networks had not yet matured enough to satisfy Apple.

In a quarterly conference call earlier this year, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook, then the company's chief operating officer, said that poor battery life and other issues with current LTE technology were enough to dissuade the company from pursuing an LTE iPhone at the time.

"The first generation of LTE chipsets force a lot of design compromises with the handset, and some of those we are just not willing to make," Cook said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Also, LTE coverage isn't universal. Yet.

I wonder if Apple will also use a thunderstorm motif to market their LTE-capable iPhones and iPads... Or is that just a Verizon thing?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I wonder if Apple will also use a thunderstorm motif to market their LTE-capable iPhones and iPads... Or is that just a Verizon thing?

Only if it has Thunderbolt pins in the Dock Connector.

Poor Sprint. I can't wait to laugh at them during the next iPhone launch.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I'm hoping that LTE iPads and unlocked iPhones will be able to switch from one network to the next in the US with a simple SIM card swap. There's no reason if I spend $300 on Verizon and my contract is up, I shouldn't be able to take that same phone and have it work on AT&T or Sprint.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    LTE is a given IMO as there will be some nice Qualcomm chips coming out that are space and power efficient. I don't know about a summer launch however. You cannot sell an iPad3 in March and then turn around and make a new model a few months later.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I'm hoping that LTE iPads and unlocked iPhones will be able to switch from one network to the next in the US with a simple SIM card swap. There's no reason if I spend $300 on Verizon and my contract is up, I shouldn't be able to take that same phone and have it work on AT&T or Sprint.

Never going to happen. In fact it gets worse. AT&T and VZ are in different parts of the 700Mhz block. And Verizon and Sprint are still CDMA 3G voice with different basebands. Nothing will change in this regard from how it is now.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    The next iPhone MUST have LTE. The constraining factor was the lack of decent chips, but as mentioned earlier, Qualcomm has some good options coming out early in 2012, giving them enough time to build up yield for a Fall iPhone release.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    No doubt about the time these devices launch we'll see ads featuring robots and aliens holding Androids and screaming "5G"
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

No doubt about the time these devices launch we'll see ads featuring robots and aliens holding Androids and screaming "5G"

They will, even if there's no such thing yet. They will. Android phones will simulate 5G by draining the battery even faster.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    apple supporting LTE when it is ready. I'm shocked

• Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

LTE is a given IMO as there will be some nice Qualcomm chips coming out that are space and power efficient. I don't know about a summer launch however. You cannot sell an iPad3 in March and then turn around and make a new model a few months later.

I can see a speed bump update to the 2 (as in a 2S with an A6 and possibly retina display) and then a launch of an entirely different machine for the holiday quarter (LTE and maybe this is the time for the retina display).
  • Reply 11 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

They will, even if there's no such thing yet. They will. Android phones will simulate 5G by draining the battery even faster.

Exactly. It's not as if claiming 4G was a problem to them and failing to point out you'd need to travel to Scandinavia at the time to actually experience it!
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I'm curious about everyone's opinion on the following...

I currently have an iPad 1 and am waiting on an iPhone 4S. I've currently got an iPhone 4 which will go to my wife (not especially tech savvy so she doesn't care...). I'm looking for two things before I upgrade to a future generation of devices:

1. LTE. I don't intend to buy a follow-on to either of my current devices until they have LTE.

2. The rumored hi-rez iPad display.

Overall, I'm very happy with my current generation devices and I don't generally upgrade for status points or simply because something is new. The device has to provide a significant new capability or speed boost that my current devices don't have before I jump. That is why I am still on an iPad 1.

That leads me to my question...and I think it is an important one for Apple..."How about the rest of you?" Are you content to sit on the devices you have waiting on LTE, or will you upgrade to a new iPad with Hi-rez display or a new iPhone with a different form factor/larger screen, even if those devices do not have LTE? The answer is important because, if you are like me, and Apple ships new devices without LTE, they could be a bust while all of us sit and wait. We saw how the tech press initially beat up Apple for the 4S... What saved the day was everyone being wowed by Siri. If the next generations are simply processor speed bumps with Siri integration, even in a new form factor, will Apple get the big crowds or will everyone just yawn?

Your thoughts/opinions?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdhayes117 View Post

That leads me to my question...and I think it is an important one for Apple..."How about the rest of you?" Are you content to sit on the devices you have waiting on LTE, or will you upgrade to a new iPad with Hi-rez display or a new iPhone with a different form factor/larger screen, even if those devices do not have LTE?

For me it has been a question of the ability to run software on it.

I just updated from my PowerMac G5. Why? Snow Leopard, Lion, and several applications started appearing that will not run on my G5.

I too am still on iPad1, and question getting an iPad3. I am pretty happy with what I have right now. But, if there are enough things I cannot do with it, I will pull the trigger.

The iPhone is a little different, because it is subsidized, and there is a good market for the used phone. I have updated every single year.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

apple supporting LTE when it is ready. I'm shocked

You think Apple is ready?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Arasu View Post

You think Apple is ready?

The real question is whether Apple considers us to be ready. We are not ready for 4G yet. When we are, Apple will give it to us.

And not a moment before.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

The real question is whether Apple considers us to be ready. We are not ready for 4G yet. When we are, Apple will give it to us.

And not a moment before.

What if I'm ready now?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

In Fact Qualcomm just began shipping the new Gobi 4000 chips this month.

See the link http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/16/qualco...ad-and-iphone/

Some of the reasons apple did not go with a 4G iphone yet is because of the need to have two chips in current phones one for 3G and one for 4G. The battery drain happens because both chips have to be powered and both have to constantly be searching for there respective signals because 4G sadly is not everywhere yet, The second reason is because as many of you have said hear already 4G is in its infancy, and is not nearly available enough except in a few major cities to even worry about putting it in a phone yet. By this time next year most carriers will have 4g in almost all major cities and it will then be worth it.

The Gobi 4000 chip above combines the 3G/4G chip into one and has power control algorithims to improve battery life. This was one of the reasons apple said last spring that they were waiting till the hardware catches up so that they did not need to compromise with a two chip solution and have horrible battery life.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... NTT DoCoMo President and Chief Executive Ryuji Yamada said it was difficult for his company to offer the iPhone because of large commitment requirements and Apple's control over the iOS platform. ...

That's probably code for, "Apple won't let us install Carrier IQ on the iPhone."
  • Reply 19 of 20
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

That's probably code for, "Apple won't let us install Carrier IQ on the iPhone."

I can't believe that much data is being tracked on a device. I hope that data isn't being sent to Carrier IQ, but being "Not Apple" it's hard to news sites and politicians concerned about, well, anything.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    OK, these are just speculations, but we like that, do we ? I am not sure that 4G, or retina display alone (unless, of course, combined with 3D capability ..) are appealing enough to justify a new model. Perhaps a more powerful processor would be more interesting, to attract game players ... Or have the newly announced Microsoft Office for iPad ready to run smoothly.

I already posess a first generation iPad. I did not buy the second generation. I think Apple is also thinking of users like me, to give reasons for a replacement. I am sure they will, some day ..